PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning fuel injectors?

toddb3
05-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks to all that helped diagnose my bad fuel pump but on to the next problem.

History: 2004 XB12R-I just bought it a month ago, it was a repo that had been sitting in a warehouse for a little over 3 years. The bike only has 1300 miles but it fuel in the tank while it had been sitting up. So far I've drained the tank, installed new spark plugs gapped to specs, and after finding out the fuel pump was bad I replaced it myself with a new one. I tested the plugs last weekend and am getting spark and tested the fuel pressure at the fuel rail and it is up to spec. so I'm thinking the injectors are clogged. What step would you guys take now? Send the injectors off to a company that will clean them or take the injectors off and soak them myself in cleaner?

dereckxb9r
05-13-2009, 12:45 PM
i would let them soak first in a fuel injector cleaner. also add a little in with the gas and maybe it will help unclog them when your trying to start it. id go that route before you pay somebody to do somthig you could do at no, to little cost. i would also clean the ends with a soft tooth brush while it soaks in cleaner to help unclog them.

xtremelow
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Injectors are very sensitive and something that has been sitting for three years, that gas has turned to hard powder in the injectors i am sure. You can try to soak them other wise just buy new ones then you know your entire fuel system is set to go.

toddb3
05-15-2009, 05:52 PM
I pulled the fuel rail and injectors last night and soaked them in fuel injection cleaner all last night and today. The cleaner was a clear color when I started and now the color of the cleaner is a brownish color so I'm hoping it loosened up some of the varnish thats clogging them. I'll put it all back together tonight and let you guys know. Thanks again for the help. By the way, I found a website called "Injector Rehab", as a last resort I will sent the injectors to them, does anyone have any experience with this company?

Tork
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I've heard of amateur racers using ultrasonic cleaners (a cheap $20 one from WalMart for cleaning jewelry would work) with injector cleaner to clean their injectors at the beginning of the race season. Supposedly works great with alcohol or acetone for cleaning gun parts, too.

GatorBuell
05-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Mike at Xopi link (http://xoptiinside.com/) cleans them now.

toddb3
05-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Just an update:
After letting the injectors and fuel rail soak in cleaner for a couple of days I put everything back together this morning and the bike actually fired up! Unfortunetely its raining here today or I would be out riding her for the first time.
Thanks for the help in getting it going! I also received a diagnostic cable from Xopti and downloaded ecmspy2 so next is getting her tuned right.

jfman
06-21-2012, 01:49 AM
My bike has alos been sitting for 3 years and I just replaced them pump... still not starting. I think I will do what you did.

What type of cleaner did you use?

TPEHAK
09-19-2017, 08:28 PM
What the o-rings sizes for top and for bottom of fuel injector for 2009 Buell XB12 Scg?

TPEHAK
09-24-2017, 04:44 AM
Here is the O-ring sizes http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?40873-Injector-O-Rings&p=593681#post593681

I cleaned injectors and accidentally forgot to remove lead from 12 volts battery and my rear injector was about 10 seconds under voltage. Once I felt it is warm I found I forgot to disconnect it from battery and disconnected it. Then I tested my fuel injectors resistance and got 12.3 Ohm on front and 11.7 Ohm on rear. The rear injector works same as front, same spray shape, no leakage, except it has slightly different clicks sound than front. Do you think I damaged it and burned the coil? Is this resistance is OK?

Cooter
09-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Your fine. Sometimes injectors have to run at nearly 100% duty cycle (on), especially if they are undersized. If it sprays when you activate it and stops completely when you remove the voltage, it works.

Whats up with reviving all these old threads TPEHAK? Bored? haha:)

Tbone
09-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Doesn't using fuel system cleaner regularly keep them cleaner and possibly keep from having to get them serviced? Reviving these old threads are good reminders for me, thanks for doing that. Hey TPEHAK, were you in the Coosbay area over the summer, like sometime in July, seen a Buell out there at that time?