PDA

View Full Version : lightning or firebolt?

thunderclap
05-13-2009, 07:09 AM
im looking to buy a buell, i like the short back end and the offering of a lower seat by the lightning but i like the front faring on the firebolt.

would it be easier to buy a lightning and put on the firebolt front faring?

or

buy a firebolt and customize the back end to make it look shorter like the lightning?

thunderclap
05-13-2009, 07:11 AM
this is the look i am going for click (http://www.buellxb.com/index.php?a=buell_photos&i=3283)

dave_xb12r
05-13-2009, 08:04 AM
I would say starting with a firebolt would be the easiest being how the ECM is mounted in the fairing on the firebolt and in the tail on the lightning.

There are many people on here that would swap tails with you.

BTW, that picture is a XB12Ss with a XB12S tail and a XB12R front fairing.

Welcome to the forums!

xtremelow
05-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I would respectfully disagree with Dave.

Just because the ECM, fuses, and relays are under the fairing of the firebolt doesn't mean you need to move them there if converting the lightning if that is what your implying Dave.

I say it would be easier to put the firebolt fairing on the lightning since all you would need to do is rewire the head lights and swap the upper tree clamp to retain the ignition but the lights might not even need to be rewired if the main plugs are the same.

Plus if you like the lower stance of the lightning you could go with an Scg. Also a lightning is much easier to work on since all of the main harness is under the seat not the fairing.

And there would be equally the amount willing to trade a firebolt front for your lightning front. So it could also be a free swap.

Either one wouldn't be to demanding I guess but I would personally start with the lightning, sorry to go against you Dave.

Stevenc150
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
would it be easier to buy a lightning and put on the firebolt front faring? I'm with Xtreme on this one.

His_and_Her_Buells
06-18-2009, 04:18 PM
I have to agree with Dave on this one. Swapping tails from Firebolt to Lightning is much easier than swapping front from Lightning to Firebolt. I personally would go with buying a Firebolt and swapping tails so you don't have to mess with triple tree or ignition. Plus you can do it all with bike on sidestand. I too like the look your going for and if I would have bought Firebolt I would have swapped tails in a heartbeat, but since I had a Lightning there was just too many parts and much more work involved in swapping fronts so I just put on crossroads bars and Firebolt pegs to give me more of the Firebolt riding position. Just my 2 cents.

wildman
09-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I like that look as well!! So you guys say putting on the Firebolt foot pegs and crossroads bars on the Lightening gives a more forward riding position?

Nuage420b
09-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Isn't there one rather XTREME bueller on this forum who has a bike maybe just a little bit like that one?

Nuage420b
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Wildman I'll let you know in January when i put my crossroads and firebolt pegs on :0 ) I was going to do the tail lift too but it sounds like it will mess with the balance of the bike and I'm not paying the PM prices or trojan prices to do it.

09buellxb12ss
05-19-2010, 01:06 AM
hello,
thunderclap what did you need to do to the xb12ss to fit the xb12s tail section on? i would really like to do this.

Jabaniz
05-19-2010, 01:13 AM
i have a lightning and love it.. although i do want a firebolt and CR too :)

upthemaiden
05-19-2010, 02:36 AM
This is an old thread, I know, but while people are bringing it back to life, I'll toss this thread in here, since it's pictures of exactly what the original poster was asking about.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/A-Firebolt-With-a-Lightning-Tail---Pics

0512s
07-01-2010, 09:14 PM
how much work is involved with going from a lightning fairing to a firebolt fairing? looking for a little more of a hybrid style