PDA

View Full Version : New SX owner with questions

1125RBlaster
10-01-2015, 09:56 PM
I posted this on the EBR site but thought I would cover all the bases posting here too.

Okay, my new SX was delivered today and now have a couple questions along with issues. The issues are that the key lock for the passenger pad is damaged and the key will not go all the way in. I was able to operate it one time, but now it will not go in all the way. Along with that, the key that was delivered with the bike has a hairline crack about halfway down it and I am afraid that it will break off in either of the cylinders (ignition, gas cap, or seat lock).

When I started it up for the first time, it ran for about 30 seconds then shut off. restarted okay but there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I have never bought a new bike with only 7 miles, but is this some kind of condensation build up maybe that needs to burn off or some type of assembly lube? I am afraid of restarting it now because it never seems to lighten up or clear, I ran it for about 2 minutes. I did make sure there was oil in it and there was according to the sight glass.

Please let me know if a replacement key can be cut with the key code or aftermarket and about the running issues.

Thanks.

mrlogix
10-01-2015, 10:31 PM
next time you start it hold a clean sheet of paper close to the exhaust exit. Build up on paper oily? Water? Be sure to check radiator fluid level also. would love to say that it could be bad dealer prep, but not so sure with the fire sale on bikes after the EBR closure release. As far as the key, I wouldn't use the key (it did come with two keys, right? Shouldn't be to hard to get a new key. Contact halfagiraffe here on the forum. I think her and her husband can still order parts from Parts Unlimited and they should have a blank. Make sure you document and save any reciepts that you incurr that would be considered warranty work under normal circumstances.

1125RBlaster
10-01-2015, 11:09 PM
okay, thanks for all the info. I will try the paper test tomorrow after work to see what the smoke is. If it is some type of water it could be either condensation steaming off or anti-freeze right? will anti-freeze have an odd color to the stain on the paper?

Thanks and I'll look up those you recommended for parts if I will need them to fix my issues. I'll also keep all the receipts too if my warranty becomes valid.

mrlogix
10-01-2015, 11:19 PM
stain may be discolored but more important is if oily. If it's antifreeze you should be able to smell it. Would smell just like a leaking heater core in a car, kind of sickly sweet smell. I wouldn't think condensation. If just condensation from storage, it should clear up in 30 or so seconds unless the primary exhaust chamber is full of water. Like I said , keep an eye on the fluid level in the radiator.

1125RBlaster
10-01-2015, 11:42 PM
okay, thanks

TPEHAK
10-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Take a high quality video of the process and post here. Check the oil color and level. Carefully taste the exhaust condensations (do not swallow) if it has sweet taste and compare this taste with coolant liquid taste (do not swallow, this is poison).

mrlogix
10-02-2015, 06:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY7ZX6ngOSs

sorry, couldn't help myself

mrlogix
10-02-2015, 06:05 AM
if it proves to be water, you may want to check the head bolt torque. To early for a blown gasket I would think.

1125RBlaster
10-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Mrlogix - thanks for that video and I understand what your trying to say there. I am hoping to get a short ride out after work if the weather hold out.

The bike only has 7 miles on it and I wouldn't expect to have a head gasket issue already. Someone on BadWeatherBikers posted a picture of an RX that has the same smoke plume as mine did and they state that it always has it upon initial startup and hasn't had any issues to date and that picture was from 2014.

I'll do my best to try to narrow down the smell of the exhaust (without inhaling, of course) and let everyone know what I find.

mrlogix
10-02-2015, 04:44 PM
LOL, the video is just my attempt at sarcastic comedic relief. I've read the posts on the other forums. Just think that is an awful lot of condensation. A car that makes repeated short trips never gets the catalytic converter hot enough to burn off the condensation. After just a few minutes if it's just condensation it should disappear. These bikes warm up quick. Just my .02 though. Have been known to be wrong before.

1125RBlaster
10-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Have you heard of head gasket issue right off the showroom floor?

mrlogix
10-02-2015, 07:35 PM
heard of last engine of the day not being torqued correctly. That being said, they put the bikes on a test stand and run them to verify they run before shipping. The dealer when un-crating performs dealer prep (add oil and water/anti-freeze, brake fluid top off, etc., etc.). They usually test fire and ride around the lot to ensure everything is working as it should. It would have had to get past both of these with no one noticing the smoke/water vapor. Stranger things have happened though.

1125RBlaster
10-02-2015, 10:56 PM
I talked to the dealer and they said that they fired it up and ran it a couple minutes, they said they didn't notice any excessive smoke/steam coming out. I wonder if shipping it from the west coast would have caused some amount of condensation.

Weather has been raining and cold all day and didn't want to start the bike if I couldn't get it up to proper temps and run it for some time so I will have to wait for the weather to break before I fire it up again.

1125RBlaster
10-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Just wanted to update everyone about the smoke/steam. I was able to get a little seat time on it today since the weather was nicer. started it up and after about 2 minutes of idling it went away. First ride on the bike, was fun that was. I put the TC on 10 just in case and that thing launches from a stop like a raped ape. I did take it easy like the book says during break-in.

My plan will be to half the first oil change at 300ish then the normal scheduled maintenance.

Here are a couple pictures of whats in the garage, even though there a couple more in my shed.
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/j_lauer/EBR%201190SX/3BF02A65-0F8B-41FC-BD49-F219B8D96FA0.jpg
http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii494/j_lauer/EBR%201190SX/01356C8E-D80F-403D-8F74-65EF25B2B9C2.jpg

1125RBlaster
10-05-2015, 08:50 PM
separately - just got word that the dealing will not cover the cost of the broken key nor the broken lock cylinder for the passenger pad. Can I take the cylinder from the gas cap and put it back there and find another gas cap that doesn't require a key. I would like to keep the ability to lock the passenger pad because I am going to use the helmet hanger.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to so many more miles on this bike.

mrlogix
10-05-2015, 09:44 PM
If it is only the lock cylinder that has a problem, not and of the hardware that the lock cylinder operates, you can take the cylinder to a good locksmith and they maybe able to repair it for you and make a new key. I have lock cylinders re-keyed all the time for some of the rental properties my brother owns.

1125RBlaster
10-05-2015, 10:56 PM
I have a local guy on the other side of town that is experinced with automotive lock sets, my plan will be to take the bike down to him and see if he can unlock the seat to begin with, then I will be able to remove the cylinder and see if he can repair it. I have no problem if it ends up using a different key either.

The problem I have is the dealer washing their hands of the bike since it was bought without a warrenty and they stated that it worked before it was shipped and has decided to not cover any cost of the repair because they state "I got too good of a deal already." Seems a bit ****ty of a dealer to take that stance.

Live and learn with this experince

mrlogix
10-05-2015, 11:23 PM
glad it is not anything major, key locks are fairly cheap compared to what the steam issue could have been. Was following the posts on the other sites. Didn't realize that the RX had a catalytic converter.

cjanderson_90
10-06-2015, 01:33 PM
Are those factory passenger pegs? If so, I am disappoint.

1125RBlaster
10-06-2015, 09:16 PM
cj - yes everything on the SX is stock. I took delivery on Thursday in the rain and it sat in the garage till Sunday when the weather finally cleared up and I was able to put the first 7 miles on it towards break-in. Why are you so disapointed?

What a fun ride, so looking forward to a couple hundred more this season hopefully before the snow comes.