PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with Airbox and Exhaust Mods

RichMc_09XB12Ss
05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
After doing the breather re-route, airbox delete, K&N filter, and Drummer exhaust, I knew that my bike would be running too lean. Since I have an '09, I cannot use ECMSpy to directly modify the maps. I know that Mike at Xoptiinside can create a custom map for me to load using ECMSpy, but I am just not ready to take that step yet. (yes, I'm a little paranoid about messing with the ECM)

I recently took off ther K&N and put the stock air filter back on. After riding for a while, I noticed that the popping on decel had been reduced significantly. Of course it is still there some, but it is MUCH better than with the K&N.

I'm assuming that it is still best to get the custom map, but for me, this is a partial solution until I decide to get that done. Since I have the translucent airbox, I really like the clean look of seeing the filter. Any comments/suggestions on this setup?

Also, I drained the catch can installed when doing the breather re-route for the first time the other day. What came out seemed like just water. For some reason I was thinking it was oil that was supposed to come out. Is something going on wrong here?

the_F_inator
05-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Rich, I'm in the process of working with Mike on tuning my XB9R- just do it :) Mike knows his stuff, I think that's your best bet for making the bike run right with those mods.

As long as you take a backup of your EEPROM, you can always "undo" any changes.

dave_xb12r
05-13-2009, 07:26 PM
^^^^ word to your mother

1001yos
05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
There should be only "yelloish - waterish" fluid coming from the catch can. As the crankcase is under vacuum, and the light hydrocarbons are burned off, the water comes from combustion and flashes off due to vacuum and heat. Some oil may be present.