PDA

View Full Version : My first Ulysses...questions/suggestions?

atmeisner
10-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Hey guys, New here and new to Buell's. Been a Harley got for a long time but the adventure bug bit me and made a trade for an 08 Ulysses.

It's basically stock besides EBR ecm. Haven't checked air filter yet but exhaust is stock. Just wondering if the stock exhaust may be too restricting for the race ecm?

At start up it seems to have some idling issue until its warm, will stall out occasionally when warming up, or if I take off before its warm it I'll get back fires and it'll cut out and in.

Again very new to Buell's and EFI tuning.

I am planning to hopefully replace the stock exhaust or send it to drummer when funds allow.

Any help suggestions would be appreciated.

**Any other essential Ulysses info would be appreciated too**

Thanks in advance

user_deleted
10-13-2015, 02:44 PM
don't have the answer to your exhaust v. ebr ecm question but the below will resolve most if not all of your idling and low speed issues on a cold motor, as well as typically enhancing overall rideability. tend to think your ebr ecm would have been programmed for stock muffler?????? and for what it's worth every XB i've ever owned tends to want to "pop and spit" a tad on cold-motor throttle inputs....the 9 less so than the 12. hope this helps:
1-replace plugs with NGK DCPR9EIX iridium plugs
2-carefully check plug wires and be tender with them during plug removal/install
3-breather re-route. no puke tank or other assorted paraphernalia required. simple 2-way breather at end of line sufficient.
4-tps reset (see your owners manual-done with twist-grip on your model year) followed by a 25 mile ride in learn mode.
5-idle speed controlled by IAC assembly which is simple servo and pintle valve. most often a simple cleaning of the valve and its seat in the throttle body assembly solves stalling at idle.
6-verify that your air intake temp sensor wire is firmly attached to the sensor. it is located on the floor of your air box base plate at the 4 o'clock position.

atmeisner
10-13-2015, 04:13 PM
Sounds good i'll start with that.

Thanks

Dragonslayer
10-13-2015, 09:06 PM
I've got a '08 Uly XT. The comfort kit is definitely worth getting.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-Rider-Comfort-Kit-XB12X-XB12XT-new-in-box-M1907-1AK-/281817114476?fits=Make%3ABuell&hash=item419d9be76c&vxp=mtr

Also, to keep your ride safe in case the unfortunate were to happen, check out some case sliders
http://5-0dro.com/index.php/buell/xb12xt-x-ulysses

wally
10-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Ride it - a lot!

atmeisner
10-14-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks, I've added those to my list of winter projects.

Anyone know where I can find info on the breather re-route?

Thanks

lowkey
10-14-2015, 04:33 PM
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=buellxb.com%20breather%20reroute&es_th=1

Anything you may be looking for just google buellxb.com then add whatever it is, so (buellxb.com breather reroute) then search.