PDA

View Full Version : Hard to shift under 3k rpm after primary cover change

etx
05-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Hey All, Hopefully you can help me solve this problem. I picked up a used 05 firebolt xb12 this spring. I was driving to work one day and the clutch handle went limp. Ended up the primary cover actually broke inside where the ramp sits so it can pull the clutch hub out and disengage the clutch. No sweat, picked one up at a dealer for $225 and finally put it on today.

So, once installed I adjust the primary chain tension and it looks pretty solid. I adjusted the clutch lock plate as well and now the handle feels just like it did before. I put in 1 qt of the screamin eagle syn3 fluid in the primary as I am not sure what the previous owner was using. Now, when in 1st gear the bike just barely wants to roll forward if I stand up and let it. Just a very little bit. And, I cannot shift up unless the rpms are over 3000. I can shift down, but it's hard. And forget about even trying to get into neutral! But when the bike is not running it seems to shift perfectly.

And the damn inspection covers seem to be leaking with brand new gaskets! The primary gasket seems ok so far. But I did crack the clutch inspection cover off to double check the fluid and its about where the service manual says it should be. Any ideas? I'm lost! I've worked on plenty of bikes, but this is my first buell, or harley for that matter.

xtremelow
05-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Your ball and ramp mechanism is to tight (it is the thing the clutch cable hooks to inside the primary). Open up the bottom primary inspection cover and loosen the set nut the back it off about a 1/4 turn or so. Also your chain should Not be tight rather a little up and down play so you may want to loosen the chain a little too.

Stevenc150
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Click on the "Buell Service Manuals" link at the top of this page and download it. Very helpful when working on your bike and describes the process Xtreme is talking about step-by-step with pics.