PDA

View Full Version : Survived collision

Tbone
11-13-2015, 10:58 PM
Well I was in the HOV lane in Dallas and was rear ended by a pick up truck. I am very lucky to have only suffered a dislocated left shoulder. The Uly and I survived by the grace of God, prevented a direct impact to my person. The truck hit my left rear side case and it shattered like a grenade went off, it then hit my left steel toe boot, directly on the toe so I had no injury there. Finally it hit the left fork leg with the trucks tire and snapped the front axle in half. The Uly did not go down on impact and stayed in the lane, it did fly forward and straight out from under me and I landed on my backside in the middle of the HOV lane. When the side case shattered a reflective vest came out it and somehow ended up in my good right hand when I hit the ground and was able to wave it over my head for cars and trucks behind me to see. Then an Ambulance ride to the ER where they put my shoulder back in place and I walked out of there in less than 2 hours one grateful, glad to be alive, and in minimal pain man.

mrlogix
11-14-2015, 12:32 AM
wow, glad you and the bike made it through it okay. Would be a good weekend to show up to church and say a thank you to the man upstairs. Could have been much worse.

wickedchop
11-14-2015, 12:42 AM
Good God man, sooooooo glad you walked away with VERY minor injuries. Not trying to get religious on anyone either here but I'm with John on this one.......definitely need to thank the big guy upstairs. Again, glad your still with us brother.

chief_of_smoke
11-14-2015, 12:57 AM
Damn man. Glad to hear you ok for the most part. I would say thank you to someone up there. Angel or the big guy.

Chicknstripn
11-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Wow! Amazing story! So glad to hear it was not your time! I hope you have a speedy recovery.

submax
11-14-2015, 06:04 AM
Scary, scary story. So glad you made it through with relatively minor injuries. :up:

user_deleted
11-14-2015, 11:03 AM
tbone: did the police eventually arrive and do investigation however slight....with attending report? if so put the pressure on them to delve into the p/u truck drivers' onboard electronics(cell, etc) chances are good he/she was distracted which would truly be shocking. if that is the case see below....and get the information. pass it onto your insurance agent and pursue a civil action against the driver. you'll reap nice benefits plus perhaps prevent future carnage from this numb-nuts.

http://www.txdot.gov/driver/laws/cellphones.html

wickedchop
11-14-2015, 11:46 AM
I was kind of curious as to what happened w the pickup driver afterwards myself. What did he say to you? If that was me I would have thanked God for a dislocated shoulder because I probably would've handed him a very brutal beating. That also would've been the first thing I said to the cops as well......check his cell phone! Hopefully this was just a stupid accident on his behalf, I REALLY hope he wasn't texting. Again glad ur ok man.

BuellyBagger
11-14-2015, 01:47 PM
damn scary, GLAD you're not any worse off!! Heal quick!

Mope
11-14-2015, 04:04 PM
No HOV up here in our neck of the woods, Chicago, but motorcycles are allowed in any HOV I've ever ridden in. Quick google search says "Motorcycles[40] - motorcycles are allowed via federal United States HOV lane law (Title 23, Section 166).[41]"

Chicknstripn
11-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Chicago- you're on a Buell, haters are EVERYWHERE!

ToneTheMoan
11-14-2015, 06:00 PM
I Hate haters!! lol

Tbone
11-16-2015, 04:09 PM
When I picked the Uly up at the towing yard, it was next to a stacked row of mangled motorcycles and the yard worker there said that was the fatalities row and he was not sure where to put the Uly yet, he had not seen an axle snapped like that before. He said he was glad to see I made it, let alone be able to walk in the yard and help push it up on a trailer.
The lower fork leg was covered in rubber from the truck tire, the lower fork tube is rotated here but you can see black on the compression adjuster.
Steel Toe took the hit here against the primary cover, the only part of me that the truck hit. Those are marker colors, there was no paint from the truck on the Uly at all. Only tire marks or boot marks.
Oil Cooler cover scuffed only.
Bike is at Harley getting new fork Legs, lower yoke, front wheel, Front fenders, brake disc, handle bars, hand guards, bar end, one heated left grip, mirrors, windshield, side cases etc.....
The only pictures I don't have are the side cases. The side cases held on to the bike and the left one shattered and the right one cracked. The brackets to the side cases held also.
The pick up truck was totalled.
Yes you can legally ride in the HOV lane on a motorcycle in Dallas Tx, Do not think I will be riding in the HOV lane, at least for a good while or ever again during rush hour traffic.
I am very, very grateful!