PDA

View Full Version : Ulysses hand guards on firebolt?

snrusnak
11-21-2015, 01:54 PM
I'm guessing they'd hit the fairing, huh? Has anybody ever seen this? I'd love to have them on my bolt in the winter, as my hands freeze...

user_deleted
11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm guessing they'd hit the fairing, huh? Has anybody ever seen this? I'd love to have them on my bolt in the winter, as my hands freeze...

shawn: just go with heated grips. work great on a bolt...easy to install...bikemaster the best i've ever used and can be had for under $50 shipped. nice evening project.

BuellyBagger
11-21-2015, 03:42 PM
shawn: just go with heated grips.
I agree, the hands guards don't do much for keeping my hands warm. .. about all there good for is deflecting the occasional stone that would sting hitting even a gloved hand

rchuff
11-21-2015, 04:01 PM
I'd go with the heated grips before the hand guards. just my 2 cents. Getting headed grips for my bolt and the price is awesome. Will enjoy this project and good by bulky heated gloves.

snrusnak
11-21-2015, 07:21 PM
10-4, I intend to get heated grips, but thought the guards would help as well...

I was going to do the heated grips that slide into the bars, but I finally found a drawback to welded nuts in the bars for the bar end mirrors lol. Can't slip them things in now unless I drill a big hole in the bars, which might be what I end up doing...

user_deleted
11-21-2015, 10:21 PM
10-4, I intend to get heated grips, but thought the guards would help as well...

I was going to do the heated grips that slide into the bars, but I finally found a drawback to welded nuts in the bars for the bar end mirrors lol. Can't slip them things in now unless I drill a big hole in the bars, which might be what I end up doing...
those suck. go with bikemaster grips. under $50 delivered on evilbay. if you need the link let me know. i'll be happy to walk you thru the installation process when the time comes. first time you do them they can be tedious....especially the throttle side.

Phelan
11-21-2015, 10:54 PM
I ordered AME Chicane heated grips. They have 6 levels of adjustment, discreet control (push button on the grip), and they have the same shape and benefit as the Buell Pro Series grips. Got 'em on eBay new for $96.

http://www.amegrips.com/motorcyclestreetheated/sport-bike-heated-chicane-grip

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-ME-Chicane-Heated-Grip-Black-AGHMCCHB-/221945447872?hash=item33acfac5c0:g:gPwAAOSweuxWTio N&vxp=mtr

snrusnak
11-22-2015, 05:27 AM
thansk for all the info.

lunatic, you had recommended those in the past, I just hadn't got around to doing it yet. I'm surprised about the in bar heaters, most of the reviews for them are good...

phelan, do those grips have a larger diameter? That's a HUGE selling point to me as my left hand is a little weak from a past surgery and the clutch really drains my strength fast. I've been putting slip over grips on for years over the oem grips to add diameter as it really helps. Also, where is that push button for the adjustment, in the grip itself?

Thanks!

user_deleted
11-22-2015, 01:19 PM
my pleasure. never had any luck with the tube style heaters. their selling point is they give you the capabilitiy of using grips of your choosing within reason. i just never had any luck with them. THIS IS IMPORTANT: whatever brand of heated grip you go with you inevitably have to use some sort of adhesive on the right side.....the throttle tube side. left side typically quite snug and just a matter of properly tapping on new grip. right side different story. when you do this be damn certain to apply the adhesive of your choice TO THE THROTTLE TUBE starting the adhesive about 1/4 inch in from the end of the tube. read this again and let it sink in. why? if you apply the adhesive inside the grip itself and slide the grip onto the bar/throttle tube....that action forces the adhesive in between the tube and the bar and not only welds them both together but destroys the heated grip.

snrusnak
11-22-2015, 01:51 PM
10-4 thanks.

Phelan
11-22-2015, 02:31 PM
They are bigger in the center of the grip and taper smaller on the ends. Overall they do feel much fatter. I haven't gotten them in yet so I've no idea how soft or hard they are as of yet.