PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl letters lifting

MustangGuy
11-22-2015, 04:59 PM
A couple of years ago I replaced all my Firebolts plastics with carbon fiber. I finished off the air box with the aluminum tank "pad" (which ironically I'm always afraid of scuffing) with the Buell logo. Then I added the die cut vinyl lettering on both sides - a bit pricey but a great look. I had to replace on set last summer because a couple of letter started lifting off and one eventually flew away when I was riding. Now a couple letters on both sides are starting to come loose. The bike hardly ever sits in the sun and is garaged when I'm not riding it but summers are hot here. Does anyone have any ideas on how to re-glue these rogue letters without permanently messing up the carbon fiber? I could use JB weld or something like that but I'd never be able to remove them in the future if I wanted to. I did try rubber cement but that didn't work. Alternatively, if I could find decal lettering as opposed to the thick vinyl ones, I'd replace them with that, but I haven't found any ... What are the rest of you doing for the lettering and does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks!

ToneTheMoan
11-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Not sure on long term effects on carbon but i would think a tube of instant gasket (silicone) would do it or thin double sided tape, i believe they do removable stuff but as to any marks it would leave after time i personally cant say. maybe someone knows? I dont use any decals!