PDA

View Full Version : Race ECM compatibility

daponik
05-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new to the Buell scene. Just picked up my first Buell a month ago, a 2005 XB12S with 4,000 miles on it that already had a bunch of goodies installed.

I'm hooked and want to get a 2009 XB12Ss now. Does anyone know if I can take the Race ECM and Race Exhaust off of my current bike and install it on the 09?

Grrr
05-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Good choice! I've rode all the 4cyl and got hooked on BUELL.

Sorry. '04-'07 is the same ECM.

FIDOSOL
05-16-2009, 10:00 AM
ECM definately will not work. Exhaust I'm not sure about.

daponik
05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I too, have been riding Japanese literbikes for the past 10 years, so the XB is quite a change for me. I do love the much more comfortable riding position, thats for sure.

Anyhoo, back to the question...that was pretty much what I had gathered. The exhaust would fit, but the ECM is no chance. Shouldn't be that big a deal though, big the 08-09 ECMs are easily programmable, right?

Stevenc150
05-17-2009, 04:20 AM
Shouldn't be that big a deal though, being the 08-09 ECMs are easily programmable, right? Actually they're self-programming to an extent, so yeah, you'll be fine after doing the TPS reset procedure & "Learn-In" ride. Especially if you're just adding the exhaust to the '09. But if you add it plus an intake mod is where it starts to become more than the newer ECM's can compensate fully for. You do an intake & exhuast mod on the newer bikes, and it's best for your bike to get it custom mapped.

daponik
05-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Got it. I guess the range that the newer ECMs can adapt to is limited. If I was to do the exhaust mod, TPS reset, and "Learn-In" ride...could I come back a few weeks later and do an intake mod and expect the ECM to continue learning?

Or would that still be too much to ask of the stock ECM?

Stevenc150
05-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Or would that still be too much to ask of the stock ECM? I'm not saying it wouldn't run, it probably would, but it'd be running lean - which is definitely not good for your motor.

buelladdicted
07-19-2009, 10:26 PM
learning the new requirements is not the problem.its the ability or lack of,to compensate to those needs.the o2 sensor is always telling the system what it needs.the ecm on an epa ,modern fi system limits its ability to supply enough fuel needed for optimum power results.optimum emission readings dont usually produce optimum dyno results,especially on air cooled motors.sorry to take so long,but my point is limits.