PDA

View Full Version : Ticking after transport?...

newtobuell
05-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I am pretty new to Buell, thus the name! I have been riding mine for a couple of months, no problems at all (except for the head stem bearings which are on the way out)...

I have just moved the bike on a trailer (about a 3 hour drive), it ran fine and quietly (as quiet as it can with a big pipe on it) when I put it on the trailer, and now once I have it off the trailer, it is making a clunking noise, sounde like from the R/H crank casing, or the heads.

I know Buell's have a habit of doing heads, but surely not from being on a trailer!

Any ideas? I'm stumped on this one...

Thanks

LeFox
05-17-2009, 06:53 PM
wouldn't have a clue without hearing it...:o

Trill
05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
you might just be paranoid. The buell makes noises that are normal to it :) Unless you somehow drained all the oil or something I would not worry.

Stevenc150
05-18-2009, 03:14 AM
Welcome to the Forum. :D[up] Maybe you could post up a Youtube vid clip to help out. It'd be next to impossible to diagnose with so little info. You might check for engine codes, it wouldn't take but a second: Engine Diagnosis w/o ECMSpy (http://bcrider.com/DDFI.html)

newtobuell
05-19-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah,

I have taken the pipes etc off the cylinders now to check for any loose bits and pieces and once I have finished polishing them (may as well while they are off) I will post a vid - and change the oil etc.

I have heard that sometimes under the primary casing on the left hand side that the main nut can come loose and cause a rattle type noise when riding or at idle...

Any others heard this? I might take the case off too while I'm at it and just check that if others have heard of this problem?

Thanks

Stevenc150
05-19-2009, 04:13 PM
You said sound was from RH in 1st post. If you're now thinking it could be the Primary side, you can check you're Primary chain slop and adjust if needed, all without taking the Primary cover off. It can make some racket if not adjusted properly.

The procedure can be found in the one of the Service Manuals this site offers if you don't already have them by following the "Buell Service Manuals" link at the top of this page.

newtobuell
05-20-2009, 09:59 AM
fantastic! I will give that a try. I took it for a very short ride tonight and it seemed to quiet down a little after riding it gently, so now I am back to having absolutely no idea!