PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Riding

Apexlocator
11-26-2006, 12:57 PM
I traded my 1200 Sportster on a Triumph years ago because of the vibration on long distance riding. Also the riding position was not for me even though I went to forward controls. I like a tucked in position. I like to cut into the wind and fly....so I went to sport bikes. I now have a ZX10, and a Ducati 748. I'd like to get another bike to rumble around on without the extreme crouch of the 748, but with similar ergos to the Kawi sport bike.

My question is, how far can you ride the Firebolt before you need a good break? I know that's different for everyone, but assuming you could ride all day on a Jap sport bike, what does the Firebolt feel like with all the vibration, choppy ride, etc...

I intend to use the Firebolt as a blast around commuter and not touring but wanted to ask anyway.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Frank

1998 Ducati 748
2004 Kawamasacki ZX-10R
2007 Black/Red Firebolt (in my dreams)

azsnow
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I have riden various distances on my scooter, and I get about 60 miles, and I am ready to get off for a min. I do have the touring seat offered by Buell, and that does make a difference. I rode from San Diego to Canada in 2 days in 2003, but that was on a Roadking....Completely different story!

BuellPartsGuy
11-26-2006, 08:40 PM
I can usually go 100 mile before my back and shoulders start killing me on my Firebolt. I have a stock seat and everything too.

2Evil4U
11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I've gone about 300 miles in one shot on my Uly. It's not too bad. And that was before I added the taller windscreen.

bigt1006
11-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Its not that bad but you do have to usually take a break before stopping.

terryc56
12-07-2006, 04:11 AM
Good Q&A.
I am looking at getting the SS long version, as I too want to HWY ride. It will be a replacment for my wifes sportster. I have a softail and look forward to getting a sport bike.
Can we get some more comments on touring on a Buell? Long version vs CG vs S? are there after market seats and saddle bags?
Am chomping on the bit.. My 1st pick is the Long. (stable?)Will need to lower it as wife is 5"8". I lowered her sptorty too. Anyone want a look at the sporty? its old school.emaul for pis.

BuellPartsGuy
12-07-2006, 08:20 AM
Low seats and saddle bags are available for both models. Let me know if you want pricing and anything else....

Kootenanny
01-16-2007, 04:41 AM
I've done a week on my Firebolt no problem...just strap on some soft bags. I did a Ducati demo ride last year, in the middle of a 5-day trip on my Buell. I feel more comfortable on my 'Bolt than the ST3...and the 749 and Sport 1000, no comparison!

Mind you, I have installed the Helibars riser and Lightning pegs, and I'm also very short, so the compact Buell cockpit is a good fit for me. BTW, if a rider who's 5'8" needs a bike like the Long lowered, there's something wrong...5'8" is NOT short...

McMurphy
07-15-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm 5'10" and in boots I can't entirely flatfoot both feet. Can put about 2/3 of each foot down, which is usually good enough. Besides that I usually keep my right foot up when I stop.

At 5'8", I could see lowering. Hell if it didn't effect handling I'd do it myself.

Highway miles I can usually do around 60-100 miles before needing to get up and stretch (have a messed up lower back). stop and go in town...about 25 before the heat from sitting idle gets me.

Iamarchangel
07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Riding an 9r: lower pegs for taller riders. Comfort seat is only marginally better than stock. Bicycle shorts with chamois did the trick for me.

Without the shorts, your sore a bit before you run out of gas anyway. With the shorts, I can ride the whole tank out. 500 mile trips are easy.

The 'bolt fuel capacity is the real limiter.

maronz
07-16-2011, 04:19 AM
I'm 5'8 and it doesn't bother me putting my feet down. Can't flat foot it, but almost. Rides comfortably IMO.

upthemaiden
07-16-2011, 05:36 AM
I'm 5'7-5'8, and my bike was a low model when I bought it. I thought it was way too low. It was neat being able to get both feet flat on the ground for once, but I started looking for a normal suspension as soon as I got the bike. I actually feel more comfortable when I'm up on my toes. Either way, if your wife isn't comfortable enough to ride it without being able to get her feet on the ground you could just put the SCG suspension on the bike. You lose a little bit of compliance out of the suspension because it loses an inch and a half of travel but it doesn't seem to bother a lot of people.

I've done a 5 hour ride with the low(hard) seat on my 9s. I had bicycle shorts on under my pants and wasn't the slightest bit sore or uncomfortable by the time I was done. I know you're more concerned about being leaned over with the firebolt handlebars though which I can't comment on. Definitely try to find a pair of the lightning footpegs though for a little extra leg room.

user_deleted
07-16-2011, 06:57 AM
about 75 miles on my 2007 city X and i'm ready for a break. about 50 miles on my 2004 firebolt and i'm ready for a break. but then again i'm 57 years old so the young pups might be able to triple these mileage figures. LOL

captain chaos
07-16-2011, 08:55 AM
I just did 1500mi in 3 days on my XB12R (Firebolt) a couple of weeks ago. Here's some impressions/thoughts:

-The stock seat is HARD and THIN. It didn't bother me too much for the first 800-1000mi (day and 1/2) but it rapidly went down hill from there. My butt and upper thighs were SORE when I made it home! I think some padded bicycle shorts under my jeans really would have helped as my thighs felt "rubbed raw" from the heat/sweat/pants. They are on the "to buy" list before my next trip. Corbin still makes a seat for the Bolt. It's a little pricey at $250 but may very well be worth every cent if it makes long distance riding more pleasant. I've very seriously considered saving for one.

-If you're long legged you can get a set of lightning pegs which are 1" lower than the std. Firebolt pegs. They make for a pretty roomy ride and were EASILY worth the $40 I paid for them. I found mine on E-Bay brand new from Grand Rapids Harley (GRHarley). They are still readily available from a variety of places.

-Stock bars on a Firebolt are a little low and forward but really no worse than your ZX10 and certainly better than the Duc. There doesn't seem to be helibars or anything available for the Firebolt so if you can't live with the "leaned forward" position for long rides a Lightning may be a better choice.

-The little fairing on the Firebolt does actually provide some wind protection and is nice on the highway and on colder mornings. There are a couple of windshields available too that may provide even more wind protection.

-Vibration is not an issue until you get up around 80mph. 65-75 is the "butter zone" and the bike is VERY smooth at those speeds. If you avoid the interstates (the BEST riding is on the 2-lanes anyway) the vibes will never be a problem.

-The ride is firm and the wheelbase is short but I never felt "beat up inside" from a days worth of riding, except for my butt.:D The beauty of an adjustable suspension is that you can soften it up a bit if that is a priority to you. I have mine set to a pretty aggressive setup and it still didn't bother me for the 1500mi I did.

-One thing you'll LOVE about the Buell though is the gas mileage. I averaged between 55-64mpg over my entire trip; the 55 being my worst and that was the tank that included riding the Dragon. Even with the small fuel tank 150-175mi is possible.

-As far as how long before a good break;I can do 400-500mi days w/o too much of a problem on a stock Bolt but 3 of them consecutively seemed to be a bit much. I typically stop for a stretch every 2-2.5hrs (120-ish miles) and I can go all day like that. By the end of the day I am tired and ready for a GOOD break but just 15min stops for gas, a drink, and a stretch/walk is plenty.
Basically, if you can ride all day on a Japanese sportbike you will probably find the Bolt to be a pretty comfortable place to be. The riding position is agreeable, the torque makes for a nice relaxed ride (you SELDOM need to run more than 3000rpm) and the overall bike is pretty comfy, save for the seat.
Hope my LOOONNG ramblings help.

Iamarchangel
07-16-2011, 10:05 AM
As CaptainChaos said:

expect I don't notice any vibration anywhere, and I rarely ride below 4000 rpm.

buellbradski
07-16-2011, 10:49 AM
if its a straight rode my 12r gets old after 50 miles ass get sore but if theres a lot of turns ive gone 200 mile with no prob. I just stop n grab a drink or walk a lil if it gets bad.

anrkizm95
07-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Posted: 26 Nov 2006 07:57 :D

Alfatango1
07-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Talk about digging up an old thread :p

Zeroflat24
07-16-2011, 02:15 PM
ive done day long rides on my bolt. ass gets a little sore after a few hours. when im moving i dont really notice it. the worst time was a bunch of buddies and i rode for like 9 hours one day with a few short stops. the next day i felt like i rode a horse from PA to cali. i was real sore.

DirtyXB14
05-18-2013, 04:45 PM
A lot of usefull information.
I rode a 2006 Naked SV650 from VA to WA via San Diego CA and would stop every tank (120-140) to stretch and do whatever back in 2007.
Now I'm planning a ride from Las Vegas to Seattle all non highway route on my 2004 XB12R Bolt. It's got plenty of aftermarket parts but none for long distance rides. I will try the bicycle shorts idea...wish I would've known about them in 2007...
[up]
03 Honda SuperHawk
02 Suzuki SV650S
03 Suzuki GSXR600
06 Suzuki SV650N
04 Buell XB12R FireBolt