PDA

View Full Version : Follow up questions.

sledge21
06-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Well guys and gals, one month in with my '03 Buell XB9R and I have to say I do love it. Being a long time Sportster rider I have had to adjust my riding style a bit, but what a hoot of a scoot!! I love this bike. Now for a question. I wasn't satisfied with the factory exhaust. So I did some research, did a little mining here and other places, and decided on the Jardine can. Yeah I know its flashy, noisy and to some buell fans way too jap for their taste. But I like it, like the sound, might invest in the quiet mod, not sure. But my question is, I've put a few miles on the bike since the swap all seems good. But I keep reading about ecm's, remapping and such, Now this bike has a K&N filter and no other mods. Is remapping or a race ecm necessary? Also I use only premium fuel, just a habit of mine. So suggestions, recommendations, opinions? As usual, thank you all for you inputs, and I do enjoy reading all of the post.

Dave

Das Bolt
06-19-2007, 03:16 AM
My Buell xb9 was set up the same as yours pipe/k&n ran fine, I put in the race ecm and it's been kinda a pain getting it tuned. If your happy with it the way it is it should be fine, if you want an upgrade maybe look into the aftermarket units instead of the race ecm they seem easier to work with. Just my opinion.

USAbikesrule
06-19-2007, 06:19 AM
Sledge - Most modern motorcycles with fuel injection & an O2 sensor are pretty forgiving about changing exhaust without remapping. When changing the air filter and exhaust, you should have the engine checked on a dyno and remap if needed. The O2 sensor will accommodate 5%-8% change in pulse width modulation and keep the air/fuel in check, but when you change the air filter to one that flows more air, there may not be enough range on the stock map to richen it up enough. You may never feel too lean in the seat until it's too late. Engines are simple compressors and if it can't get it in, it can't get it out. Changing the exhaust may allow the engine to breathe as much as the air filter will let in, but it can't increase it beyond that point. Changing the air filter allows more in; therefore, you need to remap the ECU to give it enough fuel to remain at stoichiometric ratio. Rule of thumb: change your exhaust with the stock air filter and enjoy without worrying about remapping. When you add the air filter AND exhaust, have it checked. In your case, the change in air filter alone may not be too lean as the bottleneck in flow is the exhaust (it can’t get more in than it can get out). I wouldn't do both without remapping. The Buell race ECU has a very good fuel map and is readily available. Just reset the TPS when installing it. ... The Jardine is as good as they get. They perform well, sound good, and are very cost effective. I hear a lot of negative comments about having to repack them often, but I have over 9,000 street, race, and track day miles on mine (XB12 and former X1 with 14,000+ miles) and never repacked either. It may be a little louder than when new, but what the hell, it sounds great! Good luck and ride safe!

mrdozer2you
06-19-2007, 08:19 PM
It will get louder??? COOL!!

sledge21
06-19-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm with you Dozer. Not a loud pipes lout but loud ain't bad to a point. Thanks for the suggestions. I slide my stock air filter back in just to be safe. I'm watching ebay for an ecm. Has anyone got any experience with the heat blankets that Special OPS sales? Just curious how they work. Once I figure out how to post pics I'll share a couple. Quite pleased with the new seat cover I had stitched. Thanks again for the advice.