PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get TPS reset to zero out???

19-chief
02-09-2016, 01:46 PM
I know I piggy backed an old thread and this is redundant but:

new xb12ss owner here... bought bike a few days ago with a low idle. hooked up ecmspy and cable in order of Dave's YouTube video and proceeded to back out throttle screw until reading zeroed out. BUT when I switched to diagnositics tab to tps reset it never read zero. the box was red and 5 and stayed red and 5 before and after reset commands. went back to overview and no readings no matter how much I tightended the screw. now she won't start. can anyone help me out here?

btw, i'm not a forums newb by any means but the schematics of this forum have me confused on where to truly find info or place a new thread appropriately and the search function, bc I know someone's gonna chime in, doesn't yield accurate results for my symptom. in the event that that answer is out there, please direct me and I will be grateful!

BuellyBagger
02-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Start by viewing the tps data live and move the throttle and or idle screw to verify the tps is reading/moving. If it appears to be working remove (I think left)side scoop you should be able to look up towards the throttle body and see where the idle screw contacts the throttle linkage. Back it out until there's a gap. Pull the throttle open a couple times and let it snap shut. If it still won't read very close to zero, pull your upper and lower air box and inspect the throttle plate, check for any thing preventing is from closing completely. Don't force it closed you'll bend it. If all looks good and it still won't read zero. Reset it and set per regular instructions.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 02:03 PM
I'll do that right now. thx. COM port open and connected but no readings.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 02:12 PM
reading now but still won't change to zero.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 02:15 PM
CPS signal continues to show 5. so, what exactly does 'Reset it and St per regular instructions" mean?

Theycallmecrash
02-09-2016, 02:16 PM
What year?
Ive seen this before but was able to eventually get a TPS reading turning the adjustment a bunch, the throttle blade shaft had snapped.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 02:19 PM
2006. also if it helps the throttle is a bit sticky when I go to blip it.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Btw, I could get a reading. It just won't reset to 0 in the diagnostics tab.

Theycallmecrash
02-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Can you post a snap of your data and point at your TPS reading?

19-chief
02-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Hope that works. Also, it feels like the idle screw and the throttle cable want to spin together.

Chicknstripn
02-09-2016, 03:17 PM
That bar under your speedo is what you want to be looking at. You may need to manually back your throttle to the return/fully closed position if it won't span back on its own due to it being sticky.
Your CPS signal has nothing to do with a TPS reset.
Have you already hit the "reset/zero TPS" button? It might not read all the way to zero because it was improperly reset the first time.
Make sure you don't lose communication during the process and follow the video or manual to a "T".
If you don't have a manual go here; buellmods.com and download one.
This video is exactly how to do it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i33__Qkvhn4&autoplay=1
Good luck
If you're still having problems you might want to remove your airbox to see what's going on with your idle adjustment screw. This was mentioned previously and could help you discover that either your idle adjustment cable is detracted binding or broken.

BuellyBagger
02-09-2016, 05:40 PM
The only 5 you're getting in the tps reading is volts, which is the reference voltage. Your tps shows it is 0.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 05:44 PM
Gotcha. It seems like the problem might definitely be hardware then. I managed to tighten and watch it climb to about 2.2, 2.4 but that was the max. I think this throttle adjustment cable might be the issue. Can I cut this zip tie to the frame? Then can I hold the throttle cable somehow with grips? I've taken all the airbox stuff off at man this is tight.

19-chief
02-09-2016, 05:58 PM
So I'm watching the throttle cable spin at the housing in conjunction with me trying to tighten it. Got the TPS setting within tolerance. Threw everything back together. Now I've got a CEL and the speedo/tach gauges aren't responding. Ugh.

Battery voltage too low
Air intake sensor shorted to supply voltage or open

Chicknstripn
02-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Air intake sensor is happening BC you had to unplug that sensor to get the airbox base off. Low volatage is due to your battery running down BC your headlights were draining it. Charge your battery and you should be good to go.
Sounds like your idle adjustment cable needs to be replaced. It's common for them to wear from rubbing on the motor and then corrosion killing the strength in the cable.
Sounds like you've got everything figured out other than that.
Good job

19-chief
02-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Battery charged and she fired right up! RPMs at 1050 on the dot and held steady! One chilly spin and I think I'm in better shape. Thanks all!

BuellyBagger
02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Good deal man!

Ron Earp
02-11-2016, 10:57 AM
You are new to Buells so a reminder to keep that battery on a tender.

Chicknstripn
02-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Good tip I learned a while back; when messing with ecmspy pull your headlight fuse so you don't drain the battery.