PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen removal and replacement question - grommet related...

vicenzajay
02-23-2016, 05:33 PM
All,

Need some help with how best to remove the rubber grommets (with the receiving threaded barrels) from the stock windscreen in order to put them on a replacement windscreen for installation. Obviously, we're talking about the four "uppermost" bolts/grommet assemblies as the two lower ones fit into the fairing stay (and are no issue).

I just don't want to tear up the grommets if there's a good way to remove them and re-install them on the aftermarket windscreen.

sparky300
02-23-2016, 07:58 PM
You're talking about the well nuts? Just push them out, easy, totally salvagable. A little soap/water solution helps.

wickedchop
02-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Yes they are called well nuts, usually they are salvageable like sparky said. I like to use new ones when I get a new windscreen, sometimes Lowe's has them but I usually order them in bulk on fleabay so I have them laying around. On fleabay you can get them with different colored bolt heads also, but because the two lower mounts are longer allen bolts you unfortunately can't use the colored ones there unless they are long enough.

vicenzajay
02-23-2016, 10:16 PM
Can someone provide a link to some on ebay that would work? (i.e. they are the right diameter, etc. - it would also help to know the ebay "listing description" for options :-) )

That would really help. I don't mind buying new ones....might be better not to mess with the ones in the oem screen.

vicenzajay
02-23-2016, 10:22 PM
I found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/buell-windscreen-well-nuts-qty-5-part-m0602-0-/381542008859?hash=item58d5ad081b:g:xTcAAOSwp5JWVMe j&vxp=mtr

and these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spike-Windscreen-Bolt-Kit-Red-Aluminum-Bolts-Screws-Washers-Well-Nuts-/331483556699?hash=item4d2df5ab5b:g:j7oAAOSwv0tU-gUz&vxp=mtr

user_deleted
02-23-2016, 10:24 PM
jay: go back to ebaymotors and type in "buell windscreen nuts wellnuts" and several sets will come up. they're cheap and lots of choices. here is one # to get you started. 191092962229 is the ebay item #3171

vicenzajay
02-23-2016, 10:26 PM
How about these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8X-Universal-Windscreen-Screws-Kits-M5-5mm-Bolts-Rubber-Well-Nuts-Washers-Black-/321762035747?hash=item4aea830823:g:THEAAMXQJ3xRchx 2&vxp=mtr

wickedchop
02-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Yes you can use the aftermarket well nuts, but like I stated before you can't use the bottom two because of length. You would have to use the factory ones so the two at the bottom will not match if you buy the non factory stainless looking ones. Spiked ones are for "BUSA'S" only! Please don't ghetto up your beloved buell w spiked windscreen bolts..lol

vicenzajay
02-24-2016, 01:27 AM
Nah...I'd prefer to use my original bolts and keep the same "look" that I've had. I was just picking random ebay listings to ask about size and fitting.

I think I'll look at Lowe's first and go from there. If I can find M5 well nuts and appropriate rubber washers, I'll be set...

Thanks - I'll report back.

sparky300
02-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Spiked ones are for "BUSA'S" only! Please don't ghetto up your beloved buell w spiked windscreen bolts..lol

Funny, cuz that's EXACTLY what my 03 had on it when I bought it :eek:

buell248
02-24-2016, 01:35 PM
Yes you can use the aftermarket well nuts, but like I stated before you can't use the bottom two because of length. You would have to use the factory ones so the two at the bottom will not match if you buy the non factory stainless looking ones. Spiked ones are for "BUSA'S" only! Please don't ghetto up your beloved buell w spiked windscreen bolts..lol

HEY, My FLHX has spiked windscreen bolts, I would call it Redneck not "Ghetto"... LOL!!! Still good info I was going to buy a black set off ebay but didn't know they were different lengths. The sets on ebay all look the same length.

wickedchop
02-24-2016, 02:24 PM
You really have spikes on your harley? That blows...lol. you can use the eBay well nuts just not all the allen bolts. Now I have to check my black bike for some reason I think I ordered a second set and was able to use all the allen bolts......I'll get back w pics soon. Sparky if that mess is now the red bike in your pic, nice job saving it. What was up with the rear foot peg btw? Crazy stunting wheelie rear comfort peg? Lol

wickedchop
02-24-2016, 02:29 PM
HEY, My FLHX has spiked windscreen bolts, I would call it Redneck not "Ghetto"... LOL!!! Still good info I was going to buy a black set off ebay but didn't know they were different lengths. The sets on ebay all look the same length.

Let's refer to your spikes as "UPPER MIDDLE CLASS WHITE TRASH" cause they are on a harley and not a BUSA...LMFAO

buell248
02-24-2016, 02:42 PM
Let's refer to your spikes as "UPPER MIDDLE CLASS WHITE TRASH" cause they are on a harley and not a BUSA...LMFAO

Ill take that as a complement, without "UPPER MIDDLE CLASS WHITE TRASH" paying our taxes this whole world would be in the "Ghetto", buts that's another thread...LOL!!!

wickedchop
02-24-2016, 02:53 PM
LOL, I'm with you, got a good paying union job and I ALWAYS say you're welcome to someone paying at the register at wawa with one of those EBT cards. It's my effing pleasure to buy your food. Ya had to get me started huh?....lol

sparky300
02-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Wicked - Thanks, yep, same bike.

Back on topic, in case you don't already have it, the p/n for the OEM nuts is M0703.02A8 (10-32x.665") and screws are SS 10-32x5/8" for the top four and 1 1/4" for the bottom two

wickedchop
02-24-2016, 10:28 PM
I don't know what I did, but I ordered an orange anodized set off fleabay and i am using all six allen bolts, they are all 5/8 length also. Without taking my windscreen off I can't tell what I did, I think I might've put two well nuts in the bottom of the windscreen.....I'll check when I have a chance, they aren't loose......

vicenzajay
02-25-2016, 10:08 PM
Wicked - Thanks, yep, same bike.

Back on topic, in case you don't already have it, the p/n for the OEM nuts is M0703.02A8 (10-32x.665") and screws are SS 10-32x5/8" for the top four and 1 1/4" for the bottom two

Perfect - thanks - I think I'm getting a pack of 6 of these from the bay. Then I can just use the stock screws and be good...

Yep - ordered and should be here early next week....thanks, everyone

BuellyBagger
02-25-2016, 11:27 PM

Bite me boys!!!! I must be upper lower middle class white trash....since they're on abuell actually that sounds about right..:tongue-new:

wickedchop
02-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Bite me boys!!!! I must be upper lower middle class white trash....since they're on abuell actually that sounds about right..:tongue-new:

Sweet mother of God!.......lol

BuellyBagger
02-25-2016, 11:30 PM
Sweet mother of God!.......lol

bark buster screws are spikes too!!

wickedchop
02-25-2016, 11:35 PM
Lol, you went balls to the wall. I bought an ironhead to build off this skinhead once and it had shell casings siliconed onto the primary cover bolts

buell248
02-25-2016, 11:35 PM
bark buster screws are spikes too!!
Thats for the roadkill...LOL!!!

BuellyBagger
02-26-2016, 12:37 AM
Lol, you went balls to the wall. I bought an ironhead to build off this skinhead once and it had shell casings siliconed onto the primary cover bolts

HEY i had an ironhead LOL. I'm no skin head though, just weird.

BuellyBagger
02-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Besides spikes are one thing, williegoat's bike has a friggin mohawk! (which is awesome btw)

vicenzajay
03-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Wanted to follow up. I was able to order some stock well-nuts (and use the stock oem screws/washers).

In case searches in the future point to this thread, here are some thoughts:

1. Search evil bay for the well nuts vice ordering them direct...they are *much* less expensive than at your Harley shop. Use the item number in this thread for your search.
2. When installing, it will take *a lot* of compression on the "back" side of the nut to enable the stock screws to engage the threads. This increases the risk of cross-threading. The amount of force and compression necessary was surprising.

As far as the zero gravity, double-bubble windscreen goes:

1. Aesthetically it is nice, but not (imo) as "cool looking" as the stocker. It is a bit imposing with respect to the entire motorcycle.
2. Functionally it is superb - there is a noticeable change in wind buffeting at all speeds - especially if in a tuck on the freeway, etc.

Hope that helps.

vicenzajay
03-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah - aesthetics are such a matter of personal taste. I like it on there...a lot. I *think* that from the perspective of the bike's lines, the stocker's profile matches it better (only in my opinion, of course).

Like I said, though, functionally the ZG screen is *quite a bit* better than the stock screen (again, in my opinion). :-)

jahanna77
10-08-2020, 03:01 AM
Nah...I'd prefer to use my original bolts and keep the same "look" that I've had. I was just picking random ebay listings to ask about size and fitting.

I think I'll look at Lowe's first and go from there. If I can find M5 well nuts and appropriate rubber washers, I'll be set...

Thanks - I'll report back.
There are a lot more cool options for windscreen bolts for the Japanese bikes. I bought some off eBay but they are M5 not SAE. So, I rethreaded the well nuts to M5.