PDA

View Full Version : Axle and wheel bearings becoming one

03Firebolt9R
05-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Has anyone experienced the axle and wheel bearings seizing up together? If so, any suggestions...Here is my problem. When trying to remove the front wheel, the axle is loose but when it is turned the wheel/wheel bearings move with it and actually pushes the forks apart instead of threading out. Have tried to hammer with rubber mallet but nothing. I am afraid to get too agressive with it in fear that it may strip the threads.

BuellPartsGuy
05-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Spray both sides of the axle at the bearings with a good penetrating lube and let it sit for a few hours, then give it a try.

03Firebolt9R
05-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Thanks BPG...will do it now.

Buell_Cru
05-20-2009, 03:22 AM
To answer your first question, I have not read anything one here or heard of the bearings seizing to the axle but as a rule of thumb for myself I always add a small amount of all purpose grease to the inside lip of the bearings before reassembling.

03Firebolt9R
05-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I am going to do that for sure. This is the first time I have tried to take the wheels off, the previous owner says he anti-seized the crap out of them last time he did it, but I need to get them off first. [mad]

50dro
05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
This happened to me too! Luckily the forks weren't damaged!:D

I used a rubber mallet to lightly tap the forks hence pushing the axle through the bearings, then lightly lubed it during reassembly.

Buellysses
05-20-2009, 05:06 PM
BIGGER HAMMER! And swing like you mean it!

And lubricant usually makes just about everything easier. A good rust-buster type penetrating lube would do wonders.

Macbuell
05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
BPG [up] for using "penetrating lube" in a sentence.

I am not the only one with a juvenile sense of humor am I?

Trill
05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Is this something the anti sieze can't prevent?

03Firebolt9R
05-20-2009, 05:48 PM
50dro...Thanks, I tried this yesterday and again today. I have hit the forks pretty hard, I am concerned about stripping out the threads on the forks/axle.

I bet BPG is used to using "penetrating lube" all the time seeing how he works for HD service. Last time I was in there I left feeling raped.:)

I too have that sense of humor Macbuell.[up]

ADAMLEE
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Harley hays great penetrating lube!

Every time I leave the dealership i never feel neglected, abused but never neglected.

50dro
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
03Firebolt9R...I'm not sure if you're doing this exactly the way I did or not so I'll clarify a bit...

1) You want to loosen the axle JUST until it starts to bind a bit (not too much so that you start to bend the forks or compromise the fork seals).

2) Give the brake side of the forks a swift "smack" with the rubber mallet.

3) If it only loosens a bit, repeat steps 1 & 2 until it breaks free. Those threads are pretty beefy. I personally doubt that you would be able to strip them by hitting the fork with a Rubber mallet???? Just make sure you have a few threads engaged when you do so.

4) If it's still stuck beyond where the threads engage, you'll need to use something small to lightly tap the axle out (I've used a 3/8" socket extension for this in the past). Be careful not to damage anything if you have to perform this step.

Oh....and "penetrating lube" can be your best friend!!(That's what she said):) Just be careful not to get it on your brakes or tire for obvious reasons[smirk]

I hope this helps you...Good luck!!

BuellPartsGuy
05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
One thing in life you can never have too much of...... lube

03Firebolt9R
05-25-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys...went to Oreilly's the other day and got some lube called Freeze Off. Sprayed it on there, let it sit a few minutes and whacked it as I had before but this time it broke loose. So all is good and I got the new Bridgestone Battlax's on and they are great.