PDA

View Full Version : fat tire and chain conversion

Speed117
04-03-2016, 10:36 PM
So I want to put a fat tire on the rear and convert my 07 blast to chain drive ,how can I do that if so where do I get the chain conversation for it and I know how I plans to strech, I also plan to strech the rear but i know how ill do that .

wickedchop
04-03-2016, 11:39 PM
I would just get rid of the blast and get a busa, slam it, strap the front end down, stretch the swingarm, turbo, nitrous with led purge illuminators, 330mm rear tire, dancing led's to light the engine up at bike night. Maybe get the bodywork airbrushed with killer skulls and some cool tribal ****. Bitchin leather vest, chrome German helmet and some timberlands with the tag still on and your set.

buell248
04-03-2016, 11:47 PM
Wicked, you forgot to send out the frame and swingarm for CHROME plating! LOL!!!

wickedchop
04-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Wicked, you forgot to send out the frame and swingarm for CHROME plating! LOL!!!

$h!t.....my fault...LMFAO. Forgot, speakers molded into the bodywork and your club's logo on the windscreen and your vest. Wait.......and stunt cages and a twelve o'clock scrape bar!!!!

Speed117
04-03-2016, 11:53 PM
Oh aren't you funny ,now can if you do t know then don't replay being a smart ass not one piece of that was helpful and not all sports bike riders wear timberlands

wickedchop
04-03-2016, 11:57 PM
Dude ride your blast the way it is!!!!!!!

Speed117
04-04-2016, 12:11 AM
Dude if I wanted it factory I wouldn't have posted the question so if you don't know just stop the question is serious one I don't like the tinny back tire hell my dirtbike has a wider back tire than this bike and my last bike had a wider tire i want the tire fatter for more traction and grip not cause im profiling ,and if i read the section on this form right it said modification not how to keep your bike stock .

Cooter
04-04-2016, 12:21 AM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/grandpatractor/SITS%20Photos/Dragonpics012.jpg

A "fatter" rear motorcycle tire will kill your turn-in and make it corner like crap. If you problem is not enough traction in the rear, get better tires.

If you are planning on drag racing your Blast, try a car tire...:angel:

wickedchop
04-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Go for it man! It ain't my bike......lol. And to answer your question, yes it's possible. There is a chain conversion that can be done just like someone posted and helped you before!!!! A much wider tire is going to take fab and machine work. Is it going to make your bike faster and corner better...NO!!!! Just like the gsxr to sv rear rim swap which also entails machine work. Does it even help the sv's corner better at the track? NO! It actually causes slower turn in and off apex drive. So again, go for it man.

Speed117
04-04-2016, 12:31 AM
I already know what a fat tire does I'm not doing an over kill like a 330 tire just wider than stock cause it looks funny with a back tire almost the same size as the front I have a moped with a stock tire wider than the buell and its only a 50 cc ,but your picture is funny cooter

wickedchop
04-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Just save your money, it's a blast. I understand it looks a little funny, it's a good beginner bike. Ride it the way it is, learn on it, save the money you want to put into it because you will NEVER get it back at re-sale..save the money and put it towards an xb when you are ready to move up is what we are all getting at here.

Mope
04-04-2016, 02:09 AM
I totally think you should go for it if it's what you want :D
Post up pictures on your progress and what parts your using/cost. I'm really interested to see you get underway!

jetlee
04-04-2016, 02:13 AM
Tuber rear wheel and then your typical XB chain swap parts.

Seriously though...it way more trouble than it's worth.

Chicknstripn
04-04-2016, 02:20 AM
I don't know how "fat or phat" you wanna go. I don't know that much about a blast. However, if I was trying to do what you're wanting I would see about modifying the swing arm. That's the only way you can keep a relatively stock look with a wider tire.
You might even go as far as looking into using an XB swing arm. It seems far fetched but that would be bad ass on a blast. Carry the oil in it and go up to a 200mm tire without anymore modification then figuring out how to bolt up the swing arm.
If no major aftermarket manufacturers make a chain conversion for a blast then look into modifying an XB kit.
Good luck man.
As you can tell.... You're stumbling down uncharted territory

Cooter
04-04-2016, 02:59 AM
If you want to go just a little wider, is there room to space the front and rear pulleys out before the outside of the belt hits anything? A couple machined spacers might do it.
It may be an inexpensive way to go up a size or two.

Edit:

Oh, if you need some XB chain conversion parts to experiment with, I have a 520 kit for cheap. I have no idea how they would work on a Blast.

Speed117
04-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Wickedchop I understand its a beginners bike this isn't my first bike I sold my last bike because it was more headace than its worth it was an yamaha 82 virago xv750 that I had made into a chopper it was a fun bike but man did it have so many problems .Cooter send me a message on how much you want for the chain conversation pleas ,as for stretching the rear I plan to get a second swing arm chop it and have a really good welder weld in more tubing with suports so it cant break but everything i plan to do will be reversable so if i want to go back stock the only major change will be the chain converstion .

jetlee
04-04-2016, 05:16 PM
XB swingarm would bolt directly onto the rear of the case, just gotta fiddle with the top shock mount. Then you could use an XB rear wheel with the XB chain conversion. It's been done before.

Speed117
04-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Thanks jetlee I may go that route aswell the xb swing arm doesnt look bad

user_deleted
04-04-2016, 05:31 PM
$h!t.....my fault...LMFAO. Forgot, speakers molded into the bodywork and your club's logo on the windscreen and your vest. Wait.......and stunt cages and a twelve o'clock scrape bar!!!!

12 o'clock scrape bar. LOL LOL we gotta get you the hell out of NJ wally and into a "less urban" environment.

wickedchop
04-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Lol John I was a little rough on the guy. Speed117 I don't really take to kindly to extended swingarms unless it's a full drag machine. My apologies for being a bit rough and I don't wanna see ya dump cash into a blast when you can ride it the way it is and save your money for an Xb that's all man. I just despise ghetto bikes if it's not a busa or a 14 and your not drag racing it then it shouldn't be slammed and stretched. I'm a motorcyclist and I ride to ride not to be seen and make a statement! I have a bunch of different machines and I ride all of them for the sheer love of motorcycling. I hate when guys buy a brand new harley because they watched sons of anarchy and now they are badass outlaws or you bought a sport bike because you saw some jerkoff in a rap video wearing a chrome German and you wanna be like that guy. **** that just ride to ride because it's flowing through your veins....HATE POSERS

ToneTheMoan
04-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Hey speed sorry i dont know anything about this bike but i googled "modified buell blast" and found this which looks good to me! there`s lots of stuff on there some crap and some good! 3678 3679 or this... 3680 3681 any good?

loose1
04-04-2016, 11:36 PM
The crossroads blast is what got me to build mine.

ToneTheMoan
04-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Which is the crossroads blast?

brock
04-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Wow out of all the replies only 3 people actually answered your post and didn't give you some bull**** about what they thought, and how bad the idea was what YOU wanted to do to YOUR BIKE. good luck with the project. I wonder how many people who talk **** actually rode a bike that had larger than a 240. I will say WHICH IT'S FAIRLY OBVIOUS, that it will effect your handling, clearly the bike won't lean the same but on one of my bikes I have a 300 rear and 180 front and that thing lays right down no problem, now on my other bike I have a 330 yeah it's my buell with a 150 front and the difference on 30mm Its incredible. It's harder to lean and a forearm workout but I knew that before I did it. I'm not looking to carve corners with the thing. I did it because I like the look and not giving a fu@k who else liked it.

ToneTheMoan
04-05-2016, 12:28 AM
brock We are the chosen ones! lol i always wanted to put a blast engine into a custom built little chopper/bobber/lowrider type frame and keep it real basic and minimal but with a real pro finish to it! mate that would make one neat little everyday ride! who knows one day i might just get round to it! :up:

brock
04-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Tone, I got a chopper with a xb12 on it along with front end and buell wheels and tires that was all parts from my 07ss :eagerness:

loose1
04-05-2016, 12:40 AM
The orange bike is built by crossroads and I think still holds a land speed record.

jetlee
04-05-2016, 03:17 AM
I believe the Crossroads Blast was eclipsed by Klock Werks some time ago. Terry Parsley also has a beast of a Blast that he runs (70+HP) that has held a few LSR's.

Notice the Crossroads Blast is using Tuber wheels, as I said before:
http://www.sportbikerider.us/Pics20/Buell-Blast-22381.jpg

The swingarm was modified to have tensioners. I believe it was a frankenstine job mating the Tuber tensioners to a Blast swingarm.

Here's a naked picture of Terry Parsley's:
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/20164/598669.jpg

jetlee
04-05-2016, 03:19 AM
The blue and yellow Sundance was a very sweet build with a custom one-off head and rockerbox, brought it to 58hp at the wheel.

More here on the Sundance Blast:
http://www.bikeexif.com/buell-blast

http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/buell-blast-6.jpg

jetlee
04-05-2016, 03:24 AM
Another tuber-converted Blast:
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/20164/76300.jpg

jetlee
04-05-2016, 03:25 AM
Here's Terry's assembled:
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/20164/598668.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3532/3262267800_8aa77b79db_z.jpg

Here's an NRHS LSR build:
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/images/blast2.jpg

Now what do you see in common with all these chain-driven Blasts? Tuber wheels.

ToneTheMoan
04-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Wow its a whole new world opened up to me and i like it! I would like a neat little seat/tail unit on my SS just like on the orange blast! i just love the simplicity of it! :up:

loose1
04-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Xb wheels look a lot better imo and there lighter. Belt drive takes less hp to turn. Having run both on my xb I'm glad I went with a belt on the blast.

AZmidget91
04-05-2016, 07:27 PM
I think one of these could be a cool build... put a turbo where the rear cylinder was...
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/20164/736214.jpg

jetlee
04-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Workin' on it.

Speed117
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM
What I want is my own style kinda like how people dress there bikes up with crome something different but comfortable ,the harderest part is getting the wheels

Chicknstripn
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM
That bent in the tank is to reduce fuel capacity therefore improving the power to weight ratio of the bike. I've seen that race mod on other Buells. I'm just not hardcore enough for all that.

jetlee
04-05-2016, 09:24 PM
That bent in the tank is to reduce fuel capacity therefore improving the power to weight ratio of the bike. I've seen that race mod on other Buells. I'm just not hardcore enough for all that.

How-To Fuel-Weight Savings:
1. Stand motorcycle upright
2. Retract/Lift SideStand into its normal riding position
3. Let go of motorcycle
4. Repeat as necessary to achieve desired results

This will NOT, however, get you the brushed finish on your new tank modification. To achieve that look, you must be travelling forward at a high rate of speed at the moment of "Let go".

**I do not accept responsibility for bodily injury or property damage as a result of attempting this modification**

AZmidget91
04-05-2016, 09:25 PM
No, like everyone has said, use a XB swing arm and wheel.

Cooter
04-05-2016, 09:55 PM
How-To Fuel-Weight Savings:
1. Stand motorcycle upright
2. Retract/Lift SideStand into its normal riding position
3. Let go of motorcycle
4. Repeat as necessary to achieve desired results

This will NOT, however, get you the brushed finish on your new tank modification. To achieve that look, you must be travelling forward at a high rate of speed at the moment of "Let go".

You so funny round-eye!!

Speed117
04-09-2016, 04:56 AM
The most expinsive part is buying the wheels for an xb will the xb front wheel fit the blast ? That way they match .

jetlee
04-09-2016, 04:59 AM
No, they won't. You need the XB swingarm and axle, also the XB triple/forks up front.

Speed117
04-09-2016, 05:12 AM
This may be a silly question but what are tuber wheels

Speed117
04-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Another odd question while I'm remembering to ask you jetlee is it possible to get a wider rear tire on the stock rim of the blast ,and here's a crazy idea that came to mine instead of converting it to chain what about double belts one it be safer ,two it be smoother and three less noise ,if i do this strech idea .

loose1
04-09-2016, 12:30 PM
You can put a xb wheel on Blast forks. I've done it. You need custom spacers and caliper bracket.
Tuber wheels come from the tube framed Buells from 1995-2002

buell248
04-09-2016, 12:32 PM
this may be a silly question but what are tuber wheels

search, search, search, google buell tuber!!!

buell248
04-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Another odd question while I'm remembering to ask you jetlee is it possible to get a wider rear tire on the stock rim of the blast ,and here's a crazy idea that came to mine instead of converting it to chain what about double belts one it be safer ,two it be smoother and three less noise ,if i do this strech idea .

Maybe put a belt and sprocket around the front wheel too, make it 2wd! LOL

ToneTheMoan
04-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Speed the tuber wheels are the wheels from the older tube (conventional) frame buells not the fuellers (XB range). jetlee can answer the next question better than me but if you had double belts then you would need double belt tensioners (pulleys) if its anything like the XB`s? i dont think you would have room for both? plus what bracket would you use? (I hope this info isnt irrelevant to blast models!)

ToneTheMoan
04-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Damn you buell 248 you beat me to it! ha ha :eagerness:

buell248
04-09-2016, 12:46 PM
http://thekneeslider.com/images/2011/02/kickboxer-diesel-awd-rf.jpg

jetlee
04-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Tuber is Tube-Frame Buells, the generation before XB's and Blasts.

Double belts is a no. Just don't even entertain the idea.

Fatest tire on a stock Blast wheel without modifying the swingarm is a Pirelli Diablo 140/70-16. It's also the stickiest tire available.

Speed117
04-10-2016, 11:37 PM
Oh ok ,and if I may ask why no on the belt if I'm plan to stretch it out ? And I may just go with that tire

Speed117
04-10-2016, 11:40 PM
I'm not talking about one om on the front wheel to but instead of one huge chain going to the back make a dual belt system to the rear .

Cooter
04-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Belts can't be shortened or lengthened, like taking links out of a chain. So using 2 belts for the rear would make you a loooooooooooooong bike.

Speed117
04-11-2016, 04:16 AM
OK thank Cooter I was thinking they make shorter belts ,guess I'll just go with a chain conversion

jetlee
04-11-2016, 05:53 PM
You're stretching a Blast?

Sorry, I gotta throw in the towel here. It's not a gixxer or a drag bike.

Speed117
04-14-2016, 04:14 AM
I was thinking of it but I may not I'm not for sure yet .

ToneTheMoan
04-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Speed if you do end up doing it post pics of it on here so we can see it! you will get good and bad comments as you already know but i am a believer so you do your own thing mate and dont worry about all that stuff ok! Good luck i say and if you do go ahead ENJOY the journey!! :eagerness:

Speed117
04-16-2016, 12:24 AM
Thanks tonethemoan I'm go do do it must not soon I still have to find what's wrong with the bike its really hard to shift and I can't do a shift pawl adjustment because I can't get the shifter to rotate to where the detent plate has the circle in it to the spot I need it .so ill fix it then start on the mods