PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan

xb12r04
04-20-2016, 05:59 PM
Hey guys,

I have a '04 Xb12r and the cooling fan only turns on after I shut the bike off. Is this normal for 2004 models?

Thanks!

GregoXB
04-20-2016, 07:38 PM
With the OEM ECM, yes that's what the fan does, and it should run sometimes when you are at a standstill with the bike idling. With an EBR ECM or an intelligent design solutions ECM, no, the fan will run more while the bike is in motion and will shut off at a standstill and when you turn the bike off. If you have ECM Droid, you can also regulate fan settings.

P.S. RSS helps keeps engine temps down....

xb12r04
04-22-2016, 06:41 PM
My ECM is totally stock so that explains why the fan doesn't run when the bike is on. I would like to get an EBR ECM because I have a special ops muffler on it but I don't have $300 laying around at the moment. A RSS is also on my list of upgrades.

FJR1300David
04-22-2016, 06:48 PM
My '07 XB12Ss with stock ECM will run the fan during city riding on an 80 degree day. Rather annoying and especially so at a stop light. People looking about in their cars wondering where the heck that hair dryer is!Then there is the drive into a gas station and you turn off the bike to have that fan start up. I know it's all part of the Buell experience.

Perhaps a RSS will help...

GregoXB
04-22-2016, 07:14 PM
You can also get the free ECM droid app and a Bluetooth dongle and change the fan settings for about $40.

FJR1300David
04-22-2016, 07:17 PM
You can also get the free ECM droid app and a Bluetooth dongle and change the fan settings for about $40.

I wonder how conservative the factory setting is on fan activation? With the ECMdroid app what changes are possible on fan settings?

GregoXB
04-22-2016, 08:07 PM
ECM Droid is a powerful tool, you can change pretty much anything. You can F - up your whole bike if you don't know what you are doing lol....

You go to Setup --> Limits --> Fan Setup --> and then you have 9 adjustments you can do to the fan:

Key Off:

-Max Duration
-Min Batt. Votlge.
-On Temp
-Off Temp
-100% Runtime
-Run Duty Cycle

Key On:
- On Temp
- Off temp
- Speed-based Fan control

Cooter
04-23-2016, 01:32 AM
Where did people hear that the factory ECM won't let the fan run while the engine is running??? That's 3 times in the last day I've heard someone say that.
Seems pointless to me.

Dellinger
04-23-2016, 02:57 AM
My stock ECM would nearly never turn off before the rebuild. Now I wish the EBR ECM would turn on at a stop light before the engine reaches the melting point. Some people are never happy.

I'm about to attempt the hole tune thing soon. One of the things I'll be adjusting is the fan at lights...

Cooter
04-23-2016, 03:02 AM
ECMDroid is pretty foolproof to change basic options around. Give it a shot:)

Zerocwl
04-23-2016, 03:23 AM
wow ive had my bluetooth and ecm droid for a bit now and didnt know it could do that. there really needs to be a full how to on how to use ecm droid.

ToneTheMoan
04-23-2016, 08:29 AM
Zerocwi i couldnt agree more! that would be mega useful if anyone could do that! :up: