PDA

View Full Version : New to buell thinking about a xb9sx

jon148
04-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Hey all, so I've owned many bikes but never a buell. They've always caught my eye and I've always wanted one. I'm looking at a 2005 xb9sx at what I think is a good price, probably around $2k. But I really have no idea about them as a bike. Anything I should look out for or ask the owner? Its a 1 owner with about 10k miles. Other than that I don't have much more to go on. I've heard (not sure how true it is) that they don't like hot weather, well I'm in AZ and it gets to about 120F sometimes where I live, something I should look out for or steer clear of? I have also read about a knock that occurs? Any help and insight is appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Jon

user_deleted
04-21-2016, 07:52 AM
the SX model of XB series also referred to as the CityX or City cross. i own 3 of that model and they're very desirable, very comfortable, simple motorcycles that have a loyal following. check the VIN to confirm that it in fact is a real SX and not a clone. SX bling includes cross-braced bars, X airbox protector, cityX badging, transluscent bodywork in choice of 4 colors if you include the rare limited edition, 984cc motor, color keyed cheese grater on some colors, hand guards, headlight grille. the price you mentioned is way below fair-market value IF the bike is decent both mechanically and cosmetically. due to it being 11 years old figure on spending a minimum of $500 to freshen up the tires, brake system, battery, all fluids, all adjustments, idler pulley bearings and a few other trinkets with that $ amount based on you performing the work.
lastly.....if it was bashed, trashed, raced or abused steer clear. if the seller truthfully reports a decent service history and rode it reasonably it should be in nice condition. if it has been thrashed walk away. air-cooled buells don't respond well to excessive heat conditions but there are remedies to potential problems such as avoiding stop and go traffic whenever possible...a right side air intake scoop sytem.....under-seat insulation kits....and a fully functional fan. if you observe oil mist anywhere on the rear cylinder area and/or the fan then the fan is on death-row and MUST be replaced. knock? spoken of with some 2007 models and caused by a knife and fork con-rod big end pin bearing. not that common but they are out there.

St1tch
04-22-2016, 04:43 AM
Sorry for a quick hijack- which SX was the LE?????

jon148
04-22-2016, 06:39 AM
so i spoke with the owner. it has around 10k miles. He says the bike hasn't been ridden much in the last couple years, maybe a couple hundred miles. the bike needs tires. the bike was dropped once resulting in a dented frame/tank and was replaced by a harley dealership with the vins to match. this is what has me a little skepticle. if i pick it up it sounds like i'll have a bunch of $$$ to put into maintenance to get it up to quality. i'm thinking if i could get it for around $1,700 then it might still be worth it, just not sure about the tank replacement...any thoughts?

user_deleted
04-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Sorry for a quick hijack- which SX was the LE?????
here. never saw or owned one but would buy one in a heart-beat if i ever found one. http://www.autoevolution.com/moto/buell-xb9sx-lightning-city-x-limited-edition-2005.html#aeng_buell-xb9sx-lightning-city-x-3000-984-1

user_deleted
04-22-2016, 12:07 PM
so i spoke with the owner. it has around 10k miles. He says the bike hasn't been ridden much in the last couple years, maybe a couple hundred miles. the bike needs tires. the bike was dropped once resulting in a dented frame/tank and was replaced by a harley dealership with the vins to match. this is what has me a little skepticle. if i pick it up it sounds like i'll have a bunch of $$$ to put into maintenance to get it up to quality. i'm thinking if i could get it for around $1,700 then it might still be worth it, just not sure about the tank replacement...any thoughts?
jon: IMO if it has a clean, clear, unemcumbered title with NO NOTATION regarding "salvage" or "reconstructed" on it....it runs and shifts ok.....it needs full service and some perishables.....you are doing the work yourself.....and can fetch it for $1700....then buy it. if an exception to any of these factors do NOT buy it. i will also add that if the title mentions anything about "salvage", "wrecked", "retitled", "VIN reapplied", "reconstructed"....walk away. typically in most all states any of that wording on a proper title that is being transferred to a new owner will cause the new owner more frustration and aggravation and costs and headaches than the vehicle is worth. CHECK WITH YOUR DMV on these factors prior to purchasing is my recommendation.