PDA

View Full Version : First ride

Jules
04-22-2016, 06:31 PM
Rode the Buell in to work today so here's my first impression:

They clearly spent most of their development budget on the suspension. I think it is safe to say it is one of the most comfortable rides I've ever had, and that's achieved without compromising the handling so kudos to Erik Buell and his team.

On the parts of the road where I am used to a crashing/banging of suspension compressing this really did just glide over the ruts and soak it all up, you barely even feel them - quite frankly it's astonishing. I'd score the suspension a excellent 9/10.

The engine.... well, first off as it's a derivative of the Hardley Dangerous Sporster so I had low expectations even if it does put out almost 100% more power than a Sporster, but it is just like my old X1 (almost the same engine but with an extra 20 years of development in this form). As a "Sports Tourer" engine it's perfectly adequate, at 90MPH it just feels like you could sit there all day and it's just about in the middle of the powerband.

Talking of powerband... I expected it to be a completely flat torque band, but there is a definite step up between 5000 and 7000 RPM, which given the origins of this motor is a bit of a suprprise (pleasantly so though). I'd score it a healthy 7/10.
Brakes are standar Buell fayre - ZTL Up front and a tiny rear brake that works fine. I like the ZTL setup, always have but they're no better/worse than any 4-6 pot setup. I'd score them at a healthy 7/10.

The exhaust - waaaaay too quiet, I honestly didn't feel safe filtering and 2 cars didn't look (and didn't hear) and caused two close calls - so that HAS to go soon. For now I've wired the exhaust valve open but even then it's too quiet. I score that at a 4/10.
The seat is comfy, a tiny bit too "perched on top of" but that's just me, I'll adapt, ergonomically the bike fits like a glove. It reminded me of my old 1125R with flat bars.. 7/10 for that.

The mirrors suck LOL so they're going to be replaced in the near future. The heated grips are either "pleasantly warm" or "holding molten lava" so that's fine, and really nice combined with the hand guards.

I have ordered a ""Buelltooth" connector so my phone/tablet can talk to the bike via bluetooth and I'll use ECMDroid for now..

Overall I reckon the bike is a 7/10, with a new exhaust/mirrors it'll be a comfortable 8/10.
Just need to try it 2 up now (and fit the luggage rails/panniers)

Cooter
04-23-2016, 01:35 AM
Hey Jules....

Pics or it didn't happen:cool:

What kind of Buell did you buy?

BuellyBagger
04-23-2016, 02:06 AM
Xb12xt....? Did I guess right?

Jules
04-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Xb12xt....? Did I guess right?

Yep, indeed a 2008 XB12XT :-)

Tbone
05-11-2016, 04:31 PM
Hello Jules, welcome to Uly ownership! Awesome place to be, i had mine since 2012 and I have over 40K miles on the clock. Pretty much feel the same way you do about the Uly, as I recently moved from an Urban neighborhood to a rural area where the roads are not maintained. The Uly is more comfortable than any other, even caged vehicles, at my new location. I am an average rider, but do like to push the bike and I find it corners better when I spin the rear knob in. My wife really likes riding on the back, most comfortable 2 up bike she has ever been on. We have the Buell side cases, and do load them with a tail pack as well, and have done several overnight trips. Bike is very easy to own, mine has only seen a shop one time, to replace a cracked ECM, PO was a heavy guy. The only peculiarity I have with the bike is fuel related, maybe the heat of Tx does not help and the ethanol that we have polluted our fuel with. Always carry fuel treatment or additive because I got tired of waiting to see how it was going to run, so I just add a couple of ounces each and every tank the bike seems like it will run forever. This forum is excellent and can pretty much get you through most issues, if there are any, I have not had many.