PDA

View Full Version : next new bike. EBR? nope. tuono? nope. or s1000r? nope, not that either.

arikam
04-25-2016, 12:03 AM
I'm buying my next new or used bike soon. I rode the BMW s1000r Thursday. Holy **** is it awesome. I haven't rode the others yet. I assume they are also awesome. Tuono has been bike of the year many times. EBR seems like a great bike. Never seen one tho. Around here BMW and tuono have dealer support within 2 hours. EBR updated me and their only dealer right now is in WI. I can get the 2014 EBR, no warranty, new for 10k$ or less, 2016 new for about 14k$ shipped, not sure of that warranty. S1000r used 12500$ new 13k$ to 15 k$. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Or the tuono new 2014 or 2015 about 11k$ to 13k$ 2 year warranty. Biggest advantage on the s1000r is cruise control built into handle. Others would have to have a throttle lock. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cooter
04-25-2016, 12:12 AM
Holy Shmoley, The BMW S1000R changed the way I think about new motorcycles entirely. What an amazing ride!!!

Sirius815
04-25-2016, 12:20 AM
If I had that kind of cash, I'd go S1000R after a test ride. The SX I test rode two years ago was real jumpy/jittery at low revs. I'm sure the I-4 in the BMW is a lot smoother for around town riding. That and it's sexy. Or go for a Ducati Streetfighter....or a CR and save some dough.

arikam
04-25-2016, 12:57 AM
I got a slight neck issue. If I didn't, i'd probably get the Ducati 848. But I've decided to get more of an upright position motorcycle. I was up in PA and the dealer in Lancaster let me ride the s1000r. It's ridiculous. It's a little odd looking but at least it doesn't look like everything else. The cruise control is great too.

Cooter
04-25-2016, 01:10 AM
I've had at least 5 different low/clubman style bars on my CR and could never ride it long distance. Today I put on some 'high bars' (Ironically they came on this bike stock) and went 400 miles at 80-85mph no sweat. No neck pain, No taint pain....

Get a bike you like and make it fit you. Pegs, bars, seat. Seriously that S100R is stupid awesome.

TPEHAK
04-25-2016, 05:14 AM
I'm buying my next new or used bike soon.

What is your previous or current motorcycle?

user_deleted
04-25-2016, 11:31 AM
I got a slight neck issue. If I didn't, i'd probably get the Ducati 848. But I've decided to get more of an upright position motorcycle. I was up in PA and the dealer in Lancaster let me ride the s1000r. It's ridiculous. It's a little odd looking but at least it doesn't look like everything else. The cruise control is great too.
i can literally see that dealership(Trans-Am Cycles NKA Keller Bros. Cycles) from my roof-top. at 62 years of age and with the proliferation of recalls on bikes this decade i've grown more enthralled with brands that have a strong national dealer network. bmw very decent in these parts...aprilia not so much....EBR non-existent.

arikam
04-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Previous bike xb12r, traded in on a new HD Street 750 because I thought I would be happy and more comfortable on a cruiser type of bike. Bike is fine. Its comfy. Has power. Just not what I really want any more. Gonna buy one last bike and if it doesn't make me happy then I'll probably stop riding.

Cooter
04-25-2016, 09:07 PM
All the bikes you are looking at are light years ahead of the Harley 750. You can't go wrong with any of them:up:

Ebrfan
04-26-2016, 01:01 AM
I'd go with the USA made EBR for the power and fun factor over the fatter inline-4 bikes with their recalls, foreign made parts and cruise control; stealership support or not. As for a warranty or not, there are very little issues with the EBR's and if you do have an issue it won't cost you nearly the amount that you saved on the price discount if you have to fix it out of pocket. And if you want a warranty on a '14 or '15 model, buy one aftermarket for about $600.00. The '16 models are in a few dealers now too, with a warranty. Buy American.

arikam
04-26-2016, 02:34 AM
I hadn't considered the after market warranty. Good point. I'll look into it. If the EBR had cruise control I would probably of made it my first choice. No one has gotten back to me yet about the new one having cc.

TPEHAK
04-26-2016, 03:55 AM
Here is the cruise control http://www.amazon.com/Go-Cruise-2wheelride-Universal-Throttle/dp/B00ERXG4TM?ie=UTF8&keywords=motorcycle%20cruise%20control&qid=1461642835&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

arikam
04-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the link. I've seen a few throttle lock options. I'd rather have it built in, but since I've never had cc before, I guess anything is better then none. Update on EBR warranty, 1 year. Tuono 2 years. S1000r 3 years. All unlimited miles. All with in 12k$ to 15k$ range. If im buying the EBR, I'll buy the new one to support the new business. Action Power sports in Waukesha, WI is the current dealer I'm dealing with.

qurtrn10
04-26-2016, 03:35 PM
You're asking on an EBR sub forum, so obviously you know our preference, but the reason I went with my EBR was bang for buck and uniqueness. If I was buying another bike right now, I'd buy a second EBR (RX to go with my SX), which I honestly might be doing by the end of the year.

Chicknstripn
04-26-2016, 06:21 PM
If I had to choose from the above I'd go with the Beamer.
I'm partial to the EBR but the lack of warranty and dealer support is a deal breaker.

Now, if you want to make things more difficult on yourself, have you looked at the new triumph speed triple?

GregoXB
04-26-2016, 08:24 PM
I'm selling an SX with 258 miles on it....... I can do a good price too........ http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-1190SX-/131791133771?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1eaf5d1c4b:g:12gAAOSwgApXACLE&item=131791133771

Lemme know....

arikam
04-27-2016, 02:08 AM
I'd like to buy new to support the new EBR company. i got a quote of 14k$ to have a new one delivered to my door with a third party 3 year extended warranty. still not sure what im picking. bmw is winning with 3 year warranty and built in cruise control. i'd like to ride the other 2 bikes before i make the decision. probably cant ride the ebr but i can get a ride in on the Tuono. new Triumph is nice but last i checked they were number one on the most failures list and most unreliable list.

Ebrfan
04-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Just a though, and something to ponder... I know that cruise control sounds great, and I use a throttle lock on my Harleys from time to time, but you are buying a sport bike, not a cruiser. How much time do you think it will be used riding where you live? I rarely use it on them and wouldn't think about limiting my fun on the EBR with one. In fact, the last time I used it was on the Interstate going 'cross country so I didn't have to touch the handlebars for miles and miles.

If we support the new EBR company now so they survive then we will eventually have things like quick shift and launch control. But until then I will let my SX naked street fighter make me a better rider and operator; with its lack of computer inputs that, quite frankly, can put limits on rider/operator skill building if you get used to the computer doing things for you.

theshinenz
04-28-2016, 04:28 AM
I've owned both bikes I had a 2014 S1000rr which is a beast of a bike, now own a 2014 EBR 1190 SX. Both are great machines, I dont think you can go wrong with either. Both have plenty of power, the S1000R was insane in dynamic pro mode. I have yet to put a race ECM in the SX (which i have ordered). Id love to own both of them. With current parts availability the BMW is probably more attractive, however I LOVE the feel of the Vtwin and at heart am more attached to the EBR than I would be to the Beemer. I love the uniqueness of the EBR, and the feedback you get from the road, the EBR inspires a lot or corner confidence, also does not lack power at any rev range. Once EBR starts producing parts again Id be confident to say Id take the EBR any day, however until that happens the BMW may give you more peace of mind. I dont have any warranty and am on the other side of the world, I still picked the EBR, some may call me crazy, time will tell I guess.... really hoping EBR is getting close to supplying parts again etc.

Do agree that cruise control would be nice but stock I find the EBR comfortable enough to not need it, would be more useful on a bike like the RX I think where you sometimes need a break from the aggressive posture.

For the record the S1000R i had wasnt road registerable as was a stat writeoff, however I was setting it up as a track bike then decided I couldnt really afford to have a bike just for the track, plus was frustrating not being able to take it out on the road, so I sold it.

arikam
04-28-2016, 04:39 AM
Im heading to thunder beach in FL friday to do some test drives. Probably just on suzukis and yamahas but ill be looking for the others. Anybody else going?

GregoXB
04-28-2016, 12:48 PM
I remember the BMW s1000rr had some serious recalls. There was a dangerous and life threatening failure of the connecting rod bolts. The bolts were provided by a third party supplier and were not up to spec to handle the BMW's 15,400 RPM redline. BMW's fix was to disassemble and reassemble the entire engine to replace the bolts. Owners were not happy because the repair was being done by mechanics in dealership whose skill levels for such a massive procedure were really not sufficient for what was essentially an entire engine disassembly/assembly that is normally done in a factory by multiple people on multiple assembly lines and under strict quality control. Owners were demanding the motorcycle to be replaced with a newer model, I don't know how that worked out for them or what the final solution was....

The second was with a failure of the shifter where some of the 2015 shift arms did not mate well with the splines of the transmission.

Take that information as you will.....

GregoXB
04-28-2016, 01:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNfaIodQrRs

Warranties are cool, but when you are dealing with a problem of that magnitude, IMHO, I will pass on the warranty.

arikam
04-28-2016, 01:52 PM
My friend up near Indianapolis dealt with that engine recall. he wasn't real happy about it. they tore apart his new bike and engine and rebuilt it. he never had a problem with it before or after the repairs.

arikam
04-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Hey GregoXB, why are you selling the 1190sx?

TPEHAK
04-28-2016, 02:15 PM
European motorcycles are the most unreliable motorcycles.

GregoXB
04-28-2016, 02:23 PM
My friend up near Indianapolis dealt with that engine recall. he wasn't real happy about it. they tore apart his new bike and engine and rebuilt it. he never had a problem with it before or after the repairs.

That's insane to think that there are $20K BMW's on the road that were essentially built by Bob from Indiana (no offense to Bob).....

I'm selling the 1190SX because the XB is a better match for the pothole ridden streets of Brooklyn. I hit a hole so big the other day that my rear tire on my XB compressed so much that it bent my license plate in. The XB is softer and I can adjust the travel on the suspension to deal with it. The SX has a harder edge and power that I will never uncork around here going from light to light. I feel it will be better off in the hands of someone with opens roads. Also, in the event of a flat, which I get at least once a season with all the debris around here, the XB, with the belt, is a very easy job for me. I don't need two motorcycles. I don't want to insure and register 2 motorcycles, and I need the $... I kinda of bought the SX on whim, I really did not think it through...

Chicknstripn
04-28-2016, 02:42 PM

What experience, or what have you experienced, to make this claim?

Im good friends with a few riders that own BMW, Aprilias and Ducati.
The guy with the BMW K bike, not sure what year, just got done riding that thing from CA to South America. No issues.
The guy with the Aprilias tuano(2003) put over 50k trouble free miles on his bike before he got rid of it.
And the guy with the 2012 848 EVO is in the 20k range with zero issues.
One thing I will say about all three of these bikes is the recommended/scheduled maintanamce has always been performed on time.

Just wondering what bike let you down for you to encapsulate all euro brands as unreliable.

GregoXB
04-28-2016, 02:58 PM
I will tell you my buddy who bought a 2007 Ducati S4R with 6k miles was left stranded on the side of the Cross Island expressway with a jambed shift lever. Shortly thereafter suffered electrical issues. My other buddy with a 600 monster, the bike would refuse to let him start the bike because of the electronic security feature.

All bikes can have issues and I am sure most issues have been ironed out, but its something to think about.

TPEHAK
04-29-2016, 03:43 AM
What experience, or what have you experienced, to make this claim?

Google says https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=motorcycle+reliability&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Japanese motorcycles are the most reliable motorcycles.

American motorcycles are between European and Japanese motorcycles reliability.

arikam
04-29-2016, 04:05 AM
Back when I was thinking about a triumph I saw a list of most manufacturers and it listed triumph as the least reliable. Probably about 1.5 years ago. Harley was in the middle. Japanese bikes were listed as most reliable.

Chicknstripn
04-29-2016, 07:57 AM
Well shoot.
There I go learning something from the forum.
Guess I could have just google searched the info but I like going by real world experience.

user_deleted
04-29-2016, 10:27 AM

bull****!myself and my riding friends who have logged well over 500,000 miles on beemers would all say that you have no idea what you're talking about with that comment.

Chicknstripn
04-29-2016, 12:14 PM
See, that's the real world stuff I like to base my judgements on.

TPEHAK
04-29-2016, 02:06 PM
The real world is the statistics according users experience you can see through the Google. This statistics just mean that you will have more chance for failure with European motorcycle than with American motorcycle. You will have more chance for failure with American motorcycle than with Japanese motorcycle. It doesn't necessarily mean that your European motorcycle will be instantly broken.

Cooter
04-29-2016, 07:03 PM
Sorry TPHAK, but any statement that broad can never be proven. Besides, Google is far from the final answer, you can prove anything to be true if you search long enough.

What does that statement take into account? Total bikes made? Only in 2015? Only performance bikes? Dealer repairs? Private repairs? Maintenance records?

Let's say Buell had 2000 catastrophic failures, and BMW had 50,000. Bimmer still has a much, much better record because of the total bikes sold. Maybe every single catastrophic failure of both brands was caused by the same supply companies rod bolts? Who do you blame then?

See how the answer gets foggy?

arikam
04-29-2016, 07:34 PM
I got some insurance quotes today. 2016's 700$ a year on s1000r and 1190sx. Tuono was closer to 600$. I expected less. 2014 ebr and 2014 tuono were less then 400$ a year. 2014 s1000r was still around 600$. I have state farm. Had them for 15 years. Anyone have a better rate somewhere else?

arikam
05-03-2016, 02:03 AM
I get to ride a Tuono Saturday in garden city GA. Need to find a way to ride the ebr also. Or at least sit on one.

buell248
05-03-2016, 01:45 PM
http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcd/5494880870.html

EBR in GA.

Cooter
05-03-2016, 01:57 PM
I am still mind boggled that the RX goes for less than the SX? The universe must know I want an SX....

HighwayHum72
05-03-2016, 03:03 PM
My local shop has a pair of brand new 0 miles EBR bikes and the prices seemed like really good. I think they wanted 11 for the RX and 12k for the SX. The SX is much more comfortable to sit on, I thought.40474048

arikam
05-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Hey Gregoxb, how is it possible that you still haven't sold that bike? And at that price? That's insane. If my money comes in, like it's suppose to of already, then I'm buying yours. Keep me updated if you sell it or not.

Tbone
08-30-2016, 04:54 PM
I just seen a BMW 1000xr for the first time, looks my style of bike. Too much electronics though, traction control, abs, auto suspension settings, etc..... is too much. But it does have an oil cooler below the radiator, which I do like for here in Texas.

firstoff
11-28-2016, 08:09 PM
I am currently in a very similar situation. I have 2 bikes I'm selling ('06 Suz DR 650 & '12 BMW K1600 GTL). Looking at a liter sport tourer under 500 lbs that can still put in a day over road. My choices are the BMW S1000R, Yamaha FZ-10, Buell Black Lightning and ApriliaTuono Factory.

Have you made your choice yet and what other feedback can you give?

TPEHAK
11-28-2016, 09:12 PM
EBR Black Lightning is the best.

qurtrn10
11-29-2016, 01:20 AM
I am currently in a very similar situation. I have 2 bikes I'm selling ('06 Suz DR 650 & '12 BMW K1600 GTL). Looking at a liter sport tourer under 500 lbs that can still put in a day over road. My choices are the BMW S1000R, Yamaha FZ-10, Buell Black Lightning and ApriliaTuono Factory.

Have you made your choice yet and what other feedback can you give?

I've only had my 1190SX since January, but I've had a few all day rides so far on it, and it's been really good. The stock seat has been comfortable for the first 2-3 hours easily. After that I'm ready to take some breaks to rest my bum. I'm adding some gel padding to my stock seat when I have a custom leather cover made, but will be purchasing the EBR optional comfort seat to swap on for long days on the bike. That combined with the lower pegs option and taller handlebars on the Black Lightning version of the SX should make it super comfortable.

Not sure how far Dallas is from you, but EBR will be there in the beginning of the year and should have the Black Lightning with them if you want to check it out in person.

Kole_DeWoody
12-09-2016, 02:48 PM
I have had two aprilia Tuonos now and still have one, they have been flawless except some tank issues which were fixed under warranty.
The tuonos are almost always my go to bike for general riding, that could be curvy back roads, highway, or going into town and traffic. The engine is just awesome on the v4 i like the v twin one also. I have ridden the BMW it just dont like it, and i am a fan of the flat twin bmws but the inline 4 is just not for me, i dont like the way it feels. But i also grew up ridding twins so that may be part of if.
I have not ridden the ebr yet, but i am seriously considering getting one now. I have been a long time buell fan and have had several and would love to support Buell now that they are open again. Of course like everyone has mentioned there is the dealer network problem but for me it does not really matter anyway as i work on my own bikes. The only thing that could be a problem is if there was a major recall or warranty repair. But i have personally not heard anything like this.
In past years this would have been a easier decision with EU bikes costing more but they have come down, so it really comes down to your riding style and what you like. All 3 have very different engine feels and that makes a big difference.

arikam
12-10-2016, 02:02 AM
Well things didn't really go as planned with our wreck settlement. 2 years later, still nothing. Bunch of crap. I had narrowed it down to the S1000R or 1190SX buy couldn't afford either just yet so I bought a new Yamaha R3. It's pretty awesome. Light, nimble, great fuel mileage, pretty comfortable, peppy enough to keep me interested but also keeps me out of trouble with tickets like the other bikes would get me. I might upgrade to the big bike again one day but for now I'm content on this one. 60 miles a gallon. 30$ a month insurance. 120$ a month payment. 0-60 in 5 seconds.

user_deleted
12-10-2016, 10:22 AM
Yamaha R3

dave: sold my Vincent....sold one of my V-stroms....sold 2 of my Buell Lightnings. was considering either top-of-the-line Ducati, BMW, Aprilia, or street-legal Honda RC211V-SE model. couldn't decide on which so purchased this:6107

Chicknstripn
12-10-2016, 11:45 AM
John- I think it's cute you have a picture of your buddy Chicago!

wickedchop
12-10-2016, 12:50 PM
John you should just stick it out for the RC213v......what's a $184,000 to you...... Make fun of the R3 if you guys want to but I know guys that race them and the little ninjas professionally and I gotta tell ya's they get those little suckers rolling out there on the track. They are a bit funny looking w their little tires. Would I buy one and ride it on the street though?.....NO...LOL

user_deleted
12-10-2016, 06:10 PM
John- I think it's cute you have a picture of your buddy Chicago!

he and i are tight carlos. you always knew that.

arikam
12-11-2016, 09:06 PM
Hmm, not sure if you're laughing at me or with me. Don't matter either way I guess. I'm happy and content. We can't all be super cool liter bike riders. Or liter bike douche bags.

user_deleted
12-11-2016, 10:41 PM
should have bought one of these. a bitch to start in cold climates and "carb synch" daunting to say the least.....but when the 2-stroke Gods are smiling upon you....nothing more thrilling on this earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzx8Y--UNto

arikam
12-12-2016, 02:07 AM
Most of these threads are a waste of time and threads. I don't think it was a waste. Lots of info for me. I might buy a big boy bike again. Either an S1000r or 1190sx. Just depends on finances. Last time I checked on insurance on these bikes it was crazy expensive. 150$$+ a month. That's ridiculous.

upthemaiden
12-15-2016, 04:05 PM
"you started this thread looking at real bikes and you bought a toy...just a waste of time and a thread. "

Tough crowd! Sorry you upset somebody by not having the money to buy the bike they wanted... haha. People acting like you can't have fun on a bike under 1000cc just because they need one to feel like an adult... I had a ninja 250 years ago and had a ball putting 14k miles on the thing. It was definitely a fun bike, and I'm sure the R3 is a much better bike than that thing. Personally I would've gone for one of those new bmw 300's, They look extremely nice. Enjoy it!

TPEHAK
12-16-2016, 02:00 AM
In this case I would recommend you Honda Grom

https://youtu.be/PYkILSws5Vw

arikam
12-17-2016, 06:57 PM
I did consider the Grom but I need to go high way speeds and it isn't capable of that. The new BMW is cool but I like the look of the r3 more and much better dealer support where I'm at. BMW dealers are three hours away. Yamaha is 15 minutes or 30 minutes depending on which location I wanna go to. It's a fun, comfortable bike.

BuellyBagger
12-18-2016, 01:09 PM
You fellas ever ridden a blast? Proud to admit I think they're pretty fun and cheap and from mother buell! MERICA!

Outlaw
12-18-2016, 04:00 PM
👍󾓦

upthemaiden
12-20-2016, 12:49 PM
Never ridden a blast but I did also used to have an old gs500. That was always a fun bike, and I'm sure the power is pretty comparable to the black or the R3. The R3 probably rides a lot better than the GS500 did though.

arikam
12-23-2016, 10:05 PM
How did someone hack my thread name? Someone added nope, nope, and nope not that either. I got 300 miles on the R3 more and I still think it's great. Plenty of power. Agile. Fun. Cheap. And 59 miles a gallon.

BuellyBagger
12-24-2016, 11:50 AM
How did someone hack my thread name? Someone added nope, nope, and nope not that either. I got 300 miles on the R3 more and I still think it's great. Plenty of power. Agile. Fun. Cheap. And 59 miles a gallon.

Sounds like a "wise guy" moderator. You've got to admit it's kinda funny :D

d_adams
12-24-2016, 02:35 PM
I could probably tell you who did it... although I do find the humor in it as well, so I'm not telling.

arikam
12-27-2016, 03:26 AM
It's funny. I agree. I'm amused.

d_adams
12-27-2016, 02:45 PM
You don't really *sound* all that amused though...

arikam
05-15-2017, 12:20 AM
Ah, I don't care. The bike I got was far from those options. All I really do is commute back and forth to work about 30 miles a day in 55 mph traffic. All those bikes are a huge over kill. I'd still like to get my hands on a 2009 blue and white 1125r tho. One of my favorite bikes ever. But still an over kill for my drive. I found two in tx recently. Both less then 5k$. I don't know. Maybe some day. For now the R3 is satisfying my needs of having a bike. It keeps me out of trouble. My damn throttle hand is bad.

njloco
05-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Well now would be a good time to get it, they're going for less or about the same as XB's.

jl551c
05-15-2017, 10:00 PM
I haven't seen one in person yet but while surfing online I've been drooling and dreaming over the MV Agusta Dragster RR.

Cooter
05-16-2017, 05:28 AM
That's a little more than $5k...

But absolutely beautiful:)

njloco
05-16-2017, 10:59 AM
And, you'd have to buy two, east coast, west coast. Also, I don't think you could drive it any faster than you already move along with your XB's, well maybe a little faster.

Yes beautiful !