PDA

View Full Version : newbie ask 'X or XT'?

MrBill1
05-21-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi all
I have been lurking for several weeks trying to gather some info about the Ulysses. Now that I know what I don't know, I can ask a reasonable question or two.
I have been looking for bike to commute to work. Roughly 30 miles interstate, 15 miles city streets and country roads and 1 mile of hard packed lime rock. Each way.
I have test ridden a new XT and like it very much. However, the prices of 1 year old bikes with 3-4000 miles is about 40% cheaper than new. I have found several '08 X models with the heated grips, hard bags and taller windshield already installed for a very reasonable price.
So the question is basically, is the loaded X as good a commuter as the XT?
Will I give up anything with the higher suspension?
Or is it a positive for highway commutes?
I am not concerned with the seat height issue.
So please, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Bill.

xtremelow
05-21-2009, 06:49 AM
the only plus to a loaded up X would be a savings in money, since add on usually add very little to a bikes true cost.

As far as the added heighth you would be sacrificing handling in the corners, not highway.

LionBuell
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Hi MrBill, Welcome;) I drive an XB12X commute every day rain or shine and have not been sorry for one day. I drive motorway and town no problem. Depending on how good a rider you are you (or most people including myself) would not discover the limits of the X/XT to tell the diffrince. The hight is better more visibility in traffic. I also have the tall screen and low seat wich is great. One problem is the air from the screen gets the top of my helmet and is very noisy over 130km/h, so get a small deflector or a very quiet helmet. Enjoy the Buell[up]

Spud
05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
If the seat height isn't an issue and you can find good deals on the x then save the money. I found a new 12x in Alabama for $8,500 with 12 miles on it. Rocket H-D in Huntsville had 4 black 07's in the back but that was awhile ago. Call around, I'm sure that the H-D shops are about to start there summer specials and unload last years models for a discount.

MrBill1
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks fellas,
That is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.
Great web site.
Lots of help.

Bill.

LeFox
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
i'm too late, apparently...but

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/627_20090506024515_L.jpg

ctmallam
05-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I have an 08 XT and yesterday I felt the need to explore some back roads. It started getting bumpy, so I kept it at about 5 mph. Wish I bought an X now. Besides the wheels, what makes the suspension different on an X and XT? Any aftermarket companies that have upgraded springs or suspension?