PDA

View Full Version : Potential purchase that sat too long

jeepurz
05-09-2016, 01:01 AM
Hey group, first time poster here. I apologize right up front for the cross-post here and in the XB12S forum. I've ridden Harleys for years and my wife had GSXR's, but I've been wanting a Buell for MANY years. Anyhow, I finally have my chance and found a '09 with crazy low miles for sale. As in, a couple hundred miles. I was skeptical it was for real, but took a look at it today and it's no joke. No disconnected speedo/odo or anything else sketchy, it's legit.
I've bought and sold many bikes over the years so I know what to look for when purchasing a used bike but I've never come across a seven year old bike that had SO few miles and sat so much of it's life. Honestly, sitting that long is not really good for anything in my book. It's had some needed work for corroded parts since it was in a covered but open-air garage in Michigan for most of it's life and saw some salt spray. Nothing drastic but some rusty bolts and parts. My question to you guys, outside of normal used bike stuff, what should I be concerned about, buell-specific, having sat for so long? It's had a somewhat recent('14) oil change with nearly zero miles since then. I'm sure gas is really bad so it'll need some high-octane gas and several rounds of seafoam, but what else?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

-TJ

Dellinger
05-09-2016, 03:03 AM
Skip the sea foam and drain the tank. Purge the lines into a gas can. I wouldn't let any of that crap even go near the injectors that may need to be professionally cleaned. I'd be more worried about bearings being pitted from years of sitting. Running the engine coats the parts with oil. Many guys on this forum would rather a higher mileage bike that was ran more regularly and maintained.

user_deleted
05-09-2016, 11:46 AM
ONE POST per topic is sufficient. multiple won't attract more activity. i see you're new so perhaps you aren't aware of this.

jeepurz
05-09-2016, 02:29 PM
Skip the sea foam and drain the tank. Purge the lines into a gas can. I wouldn't let any of that crap even go near the injectors that may need to be professionally cleaned. I'd be more worried about bearings being pitted from years of sitting. Running the engine coats the parts with oil. Many guys on this forum would rather a higher mileage bike that was ran more regularly and maintained.

No on the seafoam, huh? I can't say I'm a huge fan of it, nor will it fix underlying issues, but I've found it's a decent "cleaner". I was curious about bearings as you pointed out. Still looking through the maintenance manual to see if bearings are sealed or not. Hoping if sealed, and SO few miles, that there was plenty of grease to hold off pitting. A 10K miles bike that sat for extended periods, I'd be more worried about the bearings. I agree with the idea of a higher mileage, very well maintained bike. Bearings I can change, but a bunch of little things add up to $$ over time.

ONE POST per topic is sufficient. multiple won't attract more activity. i see you're new so perhaps you aren't aware of this.

Yep, noob here, sorry(familiar with forum etiquette though). I was desperate for some insight and thought maybe 12R guys didn't read the 12S threads or vice-versa. Since my question isn't really model specific, and I didn't see a ton of traffic, I was hoping to catch the widest audience. If everyone just looks at "New Posts", then I messed up. :( I promise it won't happen again, though there may be some more newbie questions in the future. Google search is my friend, I'll always try that first.

-TJ

Cooter
05-09-2016, 03:00 PM
I'd drain the tank and purge the lines as stated above, but I would also then add a injector cleaner (like Seafoam) and purge the lines again.
You should also get the high pressure injector cleaner that screws onto the gauge port of the injector line. Fill the tank with new gas and do the injector cleaning procedure on the can.
Doing all that ^^^ should let you avoid pulling off the injectors and having them cleaned.

Replace the rest of the fluids too:
Change the oil in the engine and primary (even though it has 0 miles on it) because condensation has added a bunch of water to it. Personally I'd use a high-zinc 'break-in' oil. The engine is new, so if you use the latest and greatest synthetic... the stuff that needs to break in (like rings) won't, and never will. There's only so many heat cycles they will do before they are too hard to wear.
Purge the brake system with new DOT 4 because brake fluid is hydroscopic (pulls moisture from the air, and water in brake fluid is bad)

Unless it was pressure washed around the axles, you could probably skip the sealed wheel bearings. They are cheap though so up to you.
I'm sure you'll need a battery, get a good one. A really good one. 240cca:up:
I would replace those perfect looking tires. It seems like a waste (and you'll probably ignore me to save the cost:black_eyed:) but '09 is pretty old for M/C performance rubber.

Note: When you initially start it for the first time, make sure the new battery has a full charge. You need it to start and idle immediately. Extended cranking is all metal to metal on the engine and trans bearings.
Let it idle until warm (5 mins) and raise the revs to 2500-3000. Hold there for a few minutes. That will get it nice and hot, build more oil pressure, and let the oil 'sling' around where it needs to be. Do an easy test ride for a few miles and listen to the bike. Buells are rough and lumpy but shouldn't be clanging, pinging, or rattling.

For God's sake don't go redline and hot dog it for the first couple thousand miles... you are breaking it in from new.

Enjoy putting miles on it, sounds like a great find:cool:

GregoXB
05-09-2016, 04:46 PM
A couple hundred miles is probably enough to keep the bike in working order. Change the oil, put new gas and go.

Dellinger
05-10-2016, 05:32 AM
Correction; I have no problem with sea foam just with adding it to the slop in the tank. My worries about bearings in cold seasonal climates is condensation like on a beer bottle. Without an oil film it could reek havoc on internals. All good advice here.

ToneTheMoan
05-10-2016, 08:34 AM
Also important to know is did they say how often (if at all) it was started up and run up to temperature? it just adds another piece to the puzzle on the bearings/oil front!

jeepurz
05-10-2016, 12:55 PM
I'd drain the tank and purge the lines as stated above, but I would also then add a injector cleaner (like Seafoam) and purge the lines again.

Change the oil in the engine and primary (even though it has 0 miles on it) because condensation has added a bunch of water to it. Personally I'd use a high-zinc 'break-in' oil. The engine is new, so if you use the latest and greatest synthetic... the stuff that needs to break in (like rings) won't, and never will.
Purge the brake system with new DOT 4 because brake fluid is hydroscopic (pulls moisture from the air, and water in brake fluid is bad)

I would replace those perfect looking tires. It seems like a waste (and you'll probably ignore me to save the cost:black_eyed:) but '09 is pretty old for M/C performance rubber.

Note: When you initially start it for the first time, make sure the new battery has a full charge. You need it to start and idle immediately. Extended cranking is all metal to metal on the engine and trans bearings.
Let it idle until warm (5 mins) and raise the revs to 2500-3000. Hold there for a few minutes. That will get it nice and hot, build more oil pressure, and let the oil 'sling' around where it needs to be. Do an easy test ride for a few miles and listen to the bike. Buells are rough and lumpy but shouldn't be clanging, pinging, or rattling.

For God's sake don't go redline and hot dog it for the first couple thousand miles... you are breaking it in from new.

Agreed, getting the current fuel out is a priority. To get it home, I was thinking to stop at a gas station right away and fill up partially with premium. That would at least mix the old gas with some fresh. Then drain once home where I can work on it.

Also agree on oil. I wasn't going so far as a break in oil, but was definitely going to use "dino" oil until ~1000 miles before going to synthetic.

As REALLY painful as it will be, I've been looking at tires and prices. Just TOO many opinions out there though, so I'm still not sure what to get in sport-bike tire. Plan is for relatively low miles, so soft compound/fast wear is OK, mostly road but I'd like to get on the track for fun(I race cars), but still need a cold weather tire(upper midwest in spring/fall), and good wet traction since I plan to get caught in the rain on occasion. All those things are asking a LOT out of a single tire, I know...

I've ridden Harleys for years, so I'm familiar with rough and lumpy. Rode a stroked shovelhead big-twin in a wide glide, talk about rough idle... :)

And on your last point, definitely keeping it within sanity RPM's since it's so new. Hard to know how the PO rode it but from what I can tell, this was his first bike and he WAY over-bought on the 1200 motor. My hunch is the bike has never been above 55mph and I can tell it took a low or no speed fall on each side<sigh....>.

-TJ

jeepurz
05-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Correction; I have no problem with sea foam just with adding it to the slop in the tank. My worries about bearings in cold seasonal climates is condensation like on a beer bottle. Without an oil film it could reek havoc on internals. All good advice here.

Gotcha about sea-foam. Definitely want to get old gas out or at least mixed with fresh before the sea-foam treatments. I plan to leave bearings and just see how things go. Easy to replace later if needed.

Also important to know is did they say how often (if at all) it was started up and run up to temperature? it just adds another piece to the puzzle on the bearings/oil front!

This is something I didn't ask the PO but definitely will. With so few miles and this being the original owner from purchase in '09, I'm going to assume it didn't get started very often. And most likely sat for multiple years without a start at least once(maybe even twice or more...). I'm not gonna lie, it's a little unnerving looking at a bike like this. Some things are pristine(bodywork), others are sketchy(numerous rusty bolts, rear brake rotor), and most is pretty damn nice. It's the internals that make me a little nervous. I'm in agreement with others that a well-maintained and slightly used 2K mile bike would be a no-brainer...

Should be fun getting back into riding though, it's been a few years since I sold all my bikes.

-TJ

Cooter
05-10-2016, 03:24 PM
The rust on the rotors will clean up in the first couple of stops. I love my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's much more than the Conti-motions. Pirelli Angels are nice too and yes, opinion abound...

Buells are solid bikes, and if you are used to Harleys you should be ok. The guys that come over from the I-4 crowd tend to obsess over every little hiccup. These things are tanks.

Clean the fuel system, swap the fluids, and treat her nice for just a little bit. Then you can beat on her like she didn't make you a sammich.

ToneTheMoan
05-10-2016, 04:42 PM
The main thing is relax dont let it consume you just go one step at a time do the obvious stuff and as everyone says go gentle for a bit and when all thats done just enjoy riding your still new (mileage wise) bike and by the end of summer you will know what to alter or change for next summer and so it goes on! :eagerness:

Chicknstripn
05-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Is the bike worth the hassle?
I mean, unless you're getting an out of this world deal on the bike, there are plenty of NICE 2008-20010 XBs to be had for 4-6k.
Might be better off finding one thats turn key and has complete service records.

To me it's worth more, as far as piece of mind is concerned, to have a bike I know has been riden and taken care of.
You know, the kind the owner reluctantly hands over the keys.

GregoXB
05-10-2016, 07:53 PM
The rust on the rotors will clean up in the first couple of stops. I love my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's much more than the Conti-motions. Pirelli Angels are nice too and yes, opinion abound...

Buells are solid bikes, and if you are used to Harleys you should be ok. The guys that come over from the I-4 crowd tend to obsess over every little hiccup. These things are tanks.

Clean the fuel system, swap the fluids, and treat her nice for just a little bit. Then you can beat on her like she didn't make you a sammich.

This............

jeepurz
05-10-2016, 09:42 PM
Is the bike worth the hassle?
I mean, unless you're getting an out of this world deal on the bike, there are plenty of NICE 2008-20010 XBs to be had for 4-6k.
Might be better off finding one thats turn key and has complete service records.

To me it's worth more, as far as piece of mind is concerned, to have a bike I know has been riden and taken care of.
You know, the kind the owner reluctantly hands over the keys.

I "think" I can get it for a pretty damn good price so the quick answer is 'yes, its worth it.' I have a number in mind that I'll go up to. If I can't make the deal, I'll walk away. I'm not desperate, in fact I shouldn't even be buying it to be honest. :)
But if I can get it for this price, yeah, I feel it's worth it. I've rebuild old Harleys from the ground up so I'm confident I can work my way through the bike if anything comes up. I'm just full of questions since I'm new to the Buell world and my wife's GSXR was pretty darn maintenance free if taken care of properly.

-TJ

Chicknstripn
05-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Good luck. I hope it works out for ya.
If it doesn't, after the purchase, you have a lot of knowledge here!
Keep us posted

BTW you ever find out why the bike sat?
Just curious

Cooter
05-10-2016, 10:36 PM
I certainly would not pay a premium for it, considering the hassle and the risk. But once she's up and running, maintenance should not be any issue.

There is a '03 Firebolt around here that had some 'custom' bits like polished frame and skull airbrushed paint. It sat a Treasure Coast Harley where it was sent as new and the owner of the dealership bought it. As of last year (11-2015) had 788 miles on it. I saw it on CL awhile ago for $3500.

jeepurz
05-11-2016, 02:40 AM
BTW you ever find out why the bike sat?
Just curious

This is just my opinion, but from meeting the owner in person here's my take. This was his first bike, never owned anything before(actual fact), and he WAY over-bought getting a 12R(this is where my opinion starts...). Simply too much bike for him in engine power, capabilities, and even size. I'm 6' tall and was several inches taller than he was. I can stand flat foot, but he can just barely swing his leg over the seat, and he's on his tip toes once on it. He seemed VERY uncomfortable just sitting on it and trying to move it around the driveway. It looks to me like it's taken a low or no speed fall and both sides, which just confirms his level of comfort on the bike(luckily no damage other than plastic bar ends and clutch level). Then to top it off, he's extremely unknowledgeable about bikes in general and the Buell in particular. I knew more about his bike than he did and I've never owned one, only Harleys and Suzukis. So it was just a perfect storm.
The one question I don't really know is why he held onto it for so long letting it depreciate if he never had any intention of using it. Whatevs.... his loss and my gain if I can pick it up.

-TJ

Cooter
05-11-2016, 03:01 AM
I hope you get it, you sound like the right guy to save it from a life in the shed:(
Post pics!

jeepurz
05-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Going for a test ride on Saturday and to negotiate price. I'm going to be optimistic and take cash along with my trailer. Hopefully I come home with a bike. Brrrrrr, high of 48 degrees though so I need to be VERY careful on 7 year old rubber....

-TJ