PDA

View Full Version : intermittent short?

motobear49
05-23-2009, 02:58 AM
My '06 Uly with 38K is giving me fits.It will go dead, feeling like a "Hiccup" or it may go dead and stay dead until I cycle the run switch on/off.I found exposed copper on three wires just as they enter the ecm.I fixed those but they weren't the problem.I cleaned and re torqued the three ground connections, swapped the four small relays around in the fuse box and finally I replaced the spark plugs. No change in the problem.I examined the wiring harness behind the windscreen and around the steering head but I found nothing.I had the bank sensor recall taken care of a while ago.
Is there another location were the harness tends to get damaged, as in between the steering head and the seat pan?
I would expect the O2, head temp sensor or air intake sensor problems to show themselves as issues in how the bike would run, not the on/off problem I'm experiencing.
Would a cam sensor possibly cause this type of problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
Barry

goatsxb9s
05-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I've had issues where the harness rubs on batt. tray twice. First time I had a shop find it(also plug mid harness loose), the second time if had to repair and added a lot of shielding then used tie strap to hold away from sharp edges. The intermittent prob killed my coil, and i killed starter tryin to get home. Hope this helps.

LeFox
05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
if it's solved by switching the run switch, maybe the problem lies there?

motobear49
05-23-2009, 01:24 PM
I've read another thread that suggests that the wires around the coil and plug wires will suffer damage. Today I think I'll remove the air box base and see if that gets me a good look at that area.
At one point I was going to simply replace the entire harness ($351.00) but I may give the dealer a shot first at finding the problem.