PDA

View Full Version : Not the Battery...

Thaloc
05-23-2009, 09:19 PM
So for the last week my batter has been dieing on me. I had it on the trickle charger the other day till it switched from "Charging" to "Storage" and it worked fine all day till I went to come home in the evening and then I could hear the starter clicking like it didn't have enough juice to turn her over. I flipped the key off then back on and it turned over.

I took it into the Honda shop today and had the battery tested and they said it tests fine. So im guessing its the bike not charging the battery while its on. Im sure the fact that its hot as balls here now and everytime I go anywhere and come home the fan turns on so...

**** I guess off to the HD shop with that $250 stimulus check.....

LeFox
05-24-2009, 10:04 AM
maybe your battery is just dead?

it shows charged, but doesn't give the necessary amps.

measure out the stator.

Tork
05-24-2009, 02:09 PM
This smells like a possible fried "connector 77" problem. At the very least you should check this out, as it becoming an increasingly familiar problem with XB's. See this thread at Badweb for more info: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/142838/461119.html. A great write up (embedded in the Badweb post) with pictures, instructions and part numbers is here: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d4rbxwr_20dq5khf&hl=en.

I ride with a guy that has had his bike in the shop several times with rough running and charging issues. He picked up up his Lightning from the shop the other day after repairs for the latest problem and his bike died again later that day. Based on recommendations from some other Buellers, he pulled his connector 77 apart and sure enough, it was burnt. He was able to get it working temporarily by cleaning up the contacts, but Buell has upgraded the stator to include an upgraded connector which reduces or eliminates the arcing in the connector.

If you know or suspect you've been having some battery or charging problems, I'd check your voltage regulator (77) connector. It's a simple 10-minute check requiring nothing more than removing your front pulley cover and pulling apart the connector for inspection. Grab yourself a small tube or packet of dielectric grease from Autozone and squirt a little dab into the contacts when reassembling to help prevent contact corrosion which can result in arcing, but be aware that there is a potential problem with the stock connector and it may require replacement later.

Sorry if this info has already been posted. I did a quick search and didn't see a reference.