PDA

View Full Version : Over heating problem

Red Gecko
05-25-2009, 12:42 AM
I have issues, wodering if i could some feedback on.

First issue: I bought a new 09 Firebolt. The dealer said I need to let it run for a few minutes before driving it. Problem is my exhaust turns a nice glowing red after just 3 minutes of idling. The dealer said this is normal, but i have a hard time believing that. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Second: There is a hose that runs behind the rear cylinder. Apperently it touches my exhaust and has burned a hole through it. Anyone know what this hose is for? It looks like it runs up from the trans to --who knows where. The bike has only 300 miles on it.

Thanks for your help
Mike

ridendude
05-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Congrats on the purchase. It's an aircooled engine. As far as the warmup goes, start the bike up, zip your jacket, put your helmet and gloves on, get on that baby and ride'er easy for the first couple minutes, then the fun begins :D. It needs air flowing past the cylinders to achieve the cooling.
2nd; sounds like your fuel tank vent line, check to see that its fastened to the frame behind the left footpeg.
Hope that helps.
cheers

xtremelow
05-25-2009, 01:18 AM
The hose you speak of is just the breather hose for the trans.

Glowing red exhaust normal, NO that isn't normal.

Sounds to me as you have a blockage of some sort in the muffler.

Red Gecko
05-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Well with a flash light I looked at the cable that open the valve in the muffler. The bike was off, I twisted the throttle, but the cable didn't moved. I started the bike to see if that would work, but i was vibrating too much for me to see if the cable was moving or not.

xtremelow
05-25-2009, 01:59 AM
You may have a disconnected cable under the air box. Take the airbox cover off and look there. That would give you the blockage I mentioned.

Red Gecko
05-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Is it supposed to move with the engine off?
I don't have a star wrench, i will buy on tomorrow morning and check it out.

ridendude
05-25-2009, 03:24 AM
The valve is operated by a servo motor under the aircover. It will not move by turning the throttle with the engine off. It will cycle when you first turn the key on along with the fuel system pressurizing. If you remove the airbox cover, you can watch it cycle when you turn the key on. The glowing headers may be a result of running lean or plugs that are too hot.

Red Gecko
05-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Ok Here is the latest. I took my bike in to HD today. Was tlaking to them about my pipes turning red. They finally started to believe me. On the way there my bike was getting so hot, I had to move my right leg away from the bike. After talking to them a bit, we went out and started it up. There were 4 HD people there. The frame was starting to get hot quick. One of them owns a Ullyses. He noted that his bike never got hot like that. The frame was starting starting to get too hot to touch. Hopefully they will fix it, this time. This bike has been in the shop more than i have had, and it only has 300 miles on it. I will keep you updated when i get the bike back. I'm just bikeless for a few days now.[mad]

Bueller25
05-26-2009, 02:42 AM
[down]That sucks bro.

1001yos
05-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Is the ECM installed with a break in period? I know that some cars have a break in milage of a few thousad kms or so before the fuel map changes.

Red Gecko
05-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Is the ECM installed with a break in period? I know that some cars have a break in milage of a few thousad kms or so before the fuel map changes

I don't know... hoping someone here does though :)

Stevenc150
05-26-2009, 04:08 AM
Is the ECM installed with a break in period? Don't think so, least I've never heard of it if it is.

Red Gecko
05-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Ok Question, the dealer is telling me that the normal operating temp for my bike is 450 degrees.

Is it just me or is that a little too high?

Red Gecko
05-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Ok A lot has happen. First of all I will be heading to Denver instead of the one close to my house. the dealer treated me so bad. I even called Harley themselves and told them everything that happened. They called the dealer to tell them a few more things to try. Well the dealer refused to do it, so i just went and picked up my bike. I have not had time ride it for more than a couple of minutes so I have no idea if it still over heats or not.

Harley told me that is is possible for the oxygen sensor to be bad, even though the computer check says it is good. He explained that it is called a "lazy sensor". Basically the computer can just tell if it is working, but not if it is working correctly. So the sensor is relay info to the computer, just not the correct info. This is what the dealer refused to do.
For you tech heads out there--can this be true?

Im going to head to the Denver dealer this weekend to see if are willing to check the owygen sensor.

Im going to call HD again on Monday and let them know that the dealer refused to try their suggestion.
we will see where that takes me.

I hate all this, i just want a normal functioning bike.[mad]

Stevenc150
05-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Hate that for you bro. Hope it all works out for you. [up] Post up whenever they finally get you running. I'm interested to see what's the problem.

buellman09
09-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey I actually just got an 09 xb12r a couple of weeks ago. it has a lil over 500 miles on it, but last night i started it up put all my gear on, and looked down noticing the header coming from the front of the motor was glowing red. Did you ever get yours taken care of? Ive got to call the dealership tomarrow, but was curious if you found out what was causing it. Ive been told its because it is running to lean..

hula Buell
09-14-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey Red Gecko did they ever straighten you bike out.You left us hanging???

LeFox
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
For you tech heads out there--can this be true?
yea, the oxygen sensor will tell your computer if more fuel is needed or not. if you have a lazy sensor, the computer doesn't add fuel.

the fuel injection also cools your engine.

as for the operating temp, is that °C or K or ?

the pipes running red after break-in is defenatly not a good thing.

is your oxygen sensor is ok, they will need to reflash you ecm.

what the dealer said (your 1st post) about the header turning red during idle can be correct, all depends on how long it is idling.
start the bike, get your helmet & gloves on and go ride...no longer than that.
take it easy the first 10 minutes during your ride, after that you can ride as hard as you are able to.

Caribe Buell
12-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Have the same problem with a 2010 fire Bolt. Started the bike from dead cold few minutes later at idle the header gets cherry red after few min.3-5 minutes.
It only has 150 miles on it but I know something for sure cherry red exhaust that not nml no matter how you put it. Tomorrow will go to the dealer.

New information out there?

Thanks

bikelit
12-14-2009, 05:03 AM
These motors are very tight when new. Have you been running it nice and easy because of it's low miles? If it was mine, I would take it out and pin the throttle a few times. I would also find a downhill road and use engine compression to slow it down. Get it hot, let it cool, repeat. Loosen things up a bit. Mine was also very hot when new but after a few beat runs, it ran much cooler.........

afinley
12-14-2009, 06:31 AM
The '09, I could understand. It could just be the front cylinder running hella lean, and not having an O2 sensor. The '10 has no excuse to get into a lean condition so bad the headers glow.

I would take a glowing hot bike to the dealer. Other than that, I would just follow the break in procedure in your manual.

Caribe Buell
12-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks, Yes I had been running the bike really easy never did pass it above 4,000 RPM in the first 100 miles like the manual saids and after that no more than 5,000 RPM with a progressive light trottle application. No check engine light displayed or spark cutting the bike runs nml other wise. But like I mentioned before no red exhaust header is Normal.

One thing is odd from what I can tell, No to many people have complained about this.

Caribe Buell
12-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Forgot to mention one more thing. I am new to Buell/HD engines but the fan since to run when the engine is hot while riding but once I stop on a red light the fan shots off. I should not be the other way around?

Can someone shed some light on this?

bikelit
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Red exhaust is not normal but it does happen. Go to a dragstrip and you will see plenty of red/orange pipes. A lean condition may increase heat but it would also run like crap. Drag engines do not run like crap. They turn red because they are tight and are high output, not because they are lean. I assume your bike runs good. The break-in guidlines are written on the safe side. If you drive it off the showroom and beat it all the way home, you may have problems. More important is the number of heat cycles it's been through. If you have ridden it 25 times or more, it's plenty ready for a run or two. Always make sure it's up to temp first..

Caribe Buell
12-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Update: Call the dealer today, they said that they installed another program in the ECU and it runs good now. Well tomorrow morning I am going to pick up the bike and give it a run will post results later at night.

Thanks for the input everyone.

kfxb12r
12-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Mine does the same thing and i have over 6000 miles on it.Hope it an easy fix. Cause im not going back to my Dealership[mad]

Caribe Buell
12-20-2009, 02:51 AM
OK, Got the bike back from the Dealer, reflashed the ECM with a new revision #12 my bike had revision #1 hard to belive. Any ways the exhaust still getting cherry red but not as intense as before. Talked to a independent Tuner with a great reputation and he tells my that indeed the exhaust does get red and is nml. He saids to get a slip-on and will much cooler. No matter what I still have my douts.

dreamon0166
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I've had mine since 05. The oly problem i had was a bad spark plug at 200 mile and i am 200 miles from 20k on it. :) I would like to let every one know I took it to Canada and they had 94 octane and I filled the tank u:)p and I got 65 miles per gallon. I now install Harley octane boost with 92 octane and I still get 60 miles per gallon. If I just use 92 octane i only get 40-45 miles per gallon.

roadsrfr
01-29-2010, 07:57 AM
youre pipes get hot in the begnining because of the timing when its cold it is normal. i wouldnt go with a slip on if you got the money get a full system its the headers the need to be changed. i went with use force with a baffle. hella sick!