PDA

View Full Version : Uly Back tire

LionBuell
05-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi. Can someone please advise on some rear tires for the Uly. I dont do much offroad maybe 70/30. need to get a new one soon. The dunlop form the agents is double the price of all the other on the market. Thanks.

xtremelow
05-25-2009, 11:27 AM
You can get either of these tires off BikeBandit.com for much cheaper than the dealer. Otherwise I have a feeling you may need to switch to touring tire.

Here are the stock tires. $111 for the front and $140 for the rear, OEM tire and sizes.
http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/product_images/08DunlopD616LG.gif

LionBuell
05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks Xtremelow.
Problem is the shipping to South Africa is more than the price of a new tire. Thanks regardless[up]

xtremelow
05-25-2009, 09:47 PM
South Africa?, I am willing to bet you SOL.

xtremelow
05-26-2009, 12:59 AM
SOL, **** out of luck, I would say your best bet would be the dealer then. I guess when you live on a different continent 8,000 miles away you really can't bitch to much about prices.

Good luck though, if I could help by shipping something or anything like that let me know, but like you said I have a feeling shipping will just be a straight up bitch.

Brandon

LionBuell
05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Yep. South Africa is very nice but to me the internet is only a place of information. I always get so jelous of you guys in the USA when i see "orderd this orderd that waiting for it to arrive....bla bla bla" WON`T change my country for anything though. Thanks Morne

LionBuell
05-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the offer xtremelow might just take you up on it some time.
;)

Mongo
06-16-2009, 08:42 PM
LionBuell - Sorry for the delay in reading your post about rear tire for your Ulysses. I have been running Metzler RoadTech Z6's on my Ulysses. I only got 4500 miles on the original Pirelli Scorpion Sync's. I get about 8,000 to 9000 miles out of the Metzeler’s. I am changing to the new Metzler Roadtech Interact Z6 this Friday as I have about 9000 miles on my current tires. I would guess that the Metzler brand is available in South Africa, as they are often standard issue on many BMW brands. Price might be an issue here as well though. Here in the middle of the USA the Metzler’s run a little cheaper than stock tires.
The Z6’s are a sport touring type tire; therefore they are for the road. However I have been on gravel roads with them and they do OK. Actually I found them to be at least as good as the original tires in the gravel. Hard packed dirt is OK too as long as you are not talking deep sand or deep loose dirt. But then the stock tire is really not a good true “Off road” tire either, in my opinion.

LionBuell
06-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Mongo. I fitted the Pirelli`s that is what I had on and was happy with them. You are correct in saying they are not off road, but lets be honest how much do we spend on dirt? the milage on the Metzeler is impressive I think I will try them next I got 9000km on the Pirelli`s. I payed R1850-00 (R= Rand 1$ = R8.22 )from HD. It was quite expensive.

Kobus
06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Hi All. I'm too from South Africa. I also experienced the Sync are not to be great off road and had several punctures and low mileage. I fitted a BT-54 (R960 - half the price as for Sync) on the rear, very happy as this has a aggressive thread pattern and high mileage.

LionBuell
06-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Kobus. Waar in S.A. is jy? oops:D:D Now english where in S.A. are you? Morne

drunk_uncle
07-17-2009, 05:04 PM
I am currently runnning Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's on my Triumph Sprint ST, haven't received my 09 Uly yet. I have 5,000 kilometers and very little sign of wear and that includes atleast a 1,000 km on the Autobeast I mean autobahn at 130mph +. They are what I plan on putting on the Uly when the stocks wear out.

LionBuell
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Hi Drunk uncle, riding on the autobahn would not cause too much wear on the the tyre, i think the acceleration from the traffic light and then stopping and accelerating eats the tyre more or so i think. As a matter of intrest how much/hard do you use your rear brake? I get a lot of brake dust buildup on the back but hardly on the front, could the larger rotor on the front cause the dust to get blown off before it gets to the rim? Morne

LionBuell
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Also look at Heidenhau very new in South Africa but heard only good things mostly from BMW riders. I think the Uly size tyre might be a problem also how much offroad do you do?

drunk_uncle
07-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Lionbuell, I haven't mounted the Michelins on the Buell yet. The autobahn just builds up a lot of heat when riding 200-230kph for one or two hours at a time and it ate my conti road attacks for lunch. I am mostly front brake. I also found Cheng Shin knobbies in 3.5x17 and 5.3x17 for hard terrain. Once I get a spare set of wheels to mount road tires on I am going to put knobbies on the Uly wheels. Does anyone know if the regular XB wheels will go on a Uly for 100% paved road duty?

Stevenc150
07-21-2009, 04:09 AM
Does anyone know if the regular XB wheels will go on a Uly for 100% paved road duty? According to the Owner's manuals, XB & Uly use the same size wheels - but according to the Buell Catalog, wheels "Fits '03-later XB (except XB12X)." I don't really understand it, but there's what I've found.

typhoon
07-29-2009, 01:14 AM
From what I heard the Uly's wheels are built stronger then the other street bike wheels.
I'm not getting much more then 6,000 miles out of my tires either. But when your taking off from stop signs and pulling a wheely with 2 on. It tears up the rear tire faster, but it's so much fun.

Kobus
08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi LionBuell. I'm in Cape Town, you can email me at kobus@hydra.co.za
Currently I have more than 8000km (12800miles) on my BT54, took it too very bad places (Baviaans etc). I would however like a more dirt tyre, but as you said the price is ridiculous in SA.