PDA

View Full Version : Drummer vs. Jardine

Ben319
05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Any thoughts? I am looking to put one of the two on, not sure which to go with...Thanks

lonewolfnavet
05-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Might want to consider the Drumnmer. I had Jardines on and removed them becaus they did not sound as good as the Drummer I have heard when there are other Buells around. I wish I could recommend you to email someone I know that has one but a THERE IS A REASON FOR MY hANDLE OF "lONEWOLF" As I always ride alone....I have heard Drummers before and they sound sharp! Go to their websit and you can hear them and YouTube has a lot of Jardine and Drummer sounds/videos too. Good luck my friend!

only1reds
05-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Here's a drummer exhaust

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1Z9d8ceofY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V1Z9d8ceofY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a jardine

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-XwftIXpVMM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-XwftIXpVMM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You make the comparison, to each his own.

Ben319
05-25-2009, 10:44 PM
the only thing i dont like about the drummer is that you have to send your stock exhaust to them, which leaves me without a ride for to long...i will get withdrawal

dave_xb12r
05-25-2009, 11:03 PM
^^^^you dont have to. Buy it from ASB and pay for the core charge. When you take your muffler off, you send it back to them, they give you your core back.

Ben319
05-25-2009, 11:51 PM
just saw that in their website...looks like i will be going with a drummer

only1reds
05-26-2009, 04:20 AM
I had the jardine, never mounted it on my bike because I heard I would have to repack the pipe in a few thousand miles. DEFINITELY NOT COOL [down]

Sold it and ran with the Buell Factory Race Muffler [up][up] and LOVING IT

PsychoXB
06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Drummer......

taylor
06-11-2009, 10:45 PM
i had jardine and took it off then put on a drummer.. much better sound

Midnight82
06-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I wish I could tell you what I have, but I bought my bike used and have NO idea what I have.

It's friggin loud and I seem to pull away from the other Buellers I ride with.

xtremelow
06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
drummer mufflers are nice but they do have the "hollow" sound to them.

I run my bike rightnest to my GF's bike I have a race muffler and she has a drummer, I love howmine has the deep controled sound, but again that is a race muffler. I am about to buy a 3rd bike which has a Jardine so after I put on a few miles I will decide whether to swap it out for my race muffle or just keep the jardine and sell the race one.

In repacking a Jardine what all is needed to be done???

only1reds
06-12-2009, 07:25 AM
You have to buy the re-packing kit from jardine (rivets & some other crap).

LeFox
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
You have to buy the re-packing kit from jardine (rivets & some other crap).
any repacking kit will do...

Buellysses
06-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't have experience with the Jardine, but I can tell you that the Drummer on mine sounds amazing compared to the couple stock bikes I test drove.

marko138
06-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I've got a Drummer Original. Sounds killer. Just the right amount of volume.

xtremelow
06-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I agree the Drummer does sound better than stock but does have that Flowmaster "hollow" sound not the deep bass rumble, more of a throaty ping. Of course this is my opinion.

Anyway did some research on the packing and it seems pretty straight forward even some ways to up the performance using "Oven Rope" then the repacking material to extend the life of the packing job.

Stevenc150
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Exhaust Re-packing Thread (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Looking-to-repack)

fresh rida
06-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Buell oem race muffler or drummer? Which one's better?

03Firebolt9R
06-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Fresh Rida...IMO, race kit all the way. Thats what I have and I love it.

Builtdesign
06-18-2009, 04:27 AM
Can anyone whos had both jardine and drummer tell me which one pops less. I've heard the jardine pops during deceleration...is it the same with drummer?

Phazernut
06-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Can't speak for the Drummer but the Jardine I just put on my 09 12Ss pops a lot during deceleration. I went with the Jardine mainly to save a bit more weight plus I didn't want to be down for a couple of weeks while I waited to get the drummer made.

marko138
06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
My Drummer pops on decel too. From what I understand the stocker pops as well, it's just not as noticable as it is with an aftermarket pipe.

squiers007
06-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I have put about 5000mi on my Jardine and have no complaints. Most say you need to repack after about 5000mi, but I have not noticed any changes yet, I think it depends alot on how you ride. I mainly commute with mine so not a lot of high rpm's.

ADAMLEE
06-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Squires,

Make sure your checking the pop rivits. make sure there not streching the metal. I have the Alum canister and it happened to me. Plus it's hard to tell but once you repack the pipe it gets a bit softer sound.

BigBuelly
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM
My ? will HD do all the the ECM work and installation work on a new Drummer on my 09 Xb12R

buelljek
01-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Hawk wins.

BuellerPilot
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
My ? will HD do all the the ECM work and installation work on a new Drummer on my 09 Xb12R

Chances are a big fat NO unless you happen to come across the extremely rare circumstance of having a Buell enthusiest being a tech at a HD stealership.

As for the "re-packing" issues with the Jardines.

DRUMMERS REQUIRE RE-PACKING AS WELL. It goes un-noticed by most as the deterioration of the packing is gradual and most don't notice the sound difference because it's over a period of time. The benefit to a Drummer is if the packing does dissapear, the muffler won't come apart like the Jardine.

Drummer:

[up]
*Nice stock look
*Can still use chin fairing
*Sweet Billet endcap and tip
*Still able to use "Jack Points" (not to be confused with "Jack Pot" lol).
*Sweet Drumming sound (Till packing burns out).
*re-packing is less frequent due to the design and in not using a typical wrapped core (gives it it's unique sound, but not as much of a performance boost not using a core).

[down]
*high price for a gutted stock muffler
*stock gutted muffler, litterally, it's just a fully gutted muffler with a nice tip and some FIBERGLASS PACKING. Some might be pissed about this, but what kinda magic did you really think was in them?
*DOES REQUIRE RE-PACKING (even states it on the damn website and offers a higher quality packing option).
*Mild steel, will rust
*Still heavy compaired to other systems.
*should get a re-tune / race ECM. (a given for any aftermarket muffler)

Jardine:

[up]
*CHEAP!!
*SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT (even the aluminum version, and the carbon and Titanium are lighter yet)
*Can use lower chin fairing.
*Stainless construction (down tube, core, muffler end caps and tip). Corrosion Resistant.
*High performing core type muffler
*sleek and slim Aftermaket look
*Deep bass exhaust note (when the packing is good)

[down]
*Repacking needed (As with ALL fiberglass packed mufflers)
*Comes apart if you continue to ride after packing has burnt out (neglect).
*Looks (some don't like it)
*Sound. It IS LOUD! It's opinion if it's too loud (I don't think it's too loud at all). Has a nice deep BASS note to it.
*Should get a re-tunee / race ECM (a given for any aftermarket muffler)

At least that's what I've gathered from reading here and there and talking with manufactures (Kev at KD Fab) and owning a Jardine.

To solve the re-pack "problem", if you buy high quality packing such as rock, stainless, or better yet ceramic whool you increase your re-packing intervals SIGNIFICANTLY and in some cases eliminate the need for repacking all together.

As for performance, it depends which bike, 9 or 12.

Hands down the best performers on the 9 of every muffler tested by ASB http://www.americansportbike.com/Exhaust_Shootout.html is the Jardine and much more expensive MICRON. It kicks every mufflers butt from 3.75~4.2K till redline. Even the race muffler. The Jardine doesn't fair so well on the 12.

On the 12, its the Race Muffler for the winner. As for the Drummer. It performs well on the 9, but losses power over stock in the mid range. On the 12 the Drummer falls on its face after 6k and makes less power then stock after that.

The power deliveries are very different on both mufflers and very different depending if you have a 9 or 12.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Buell-aftermarket-parts/Anyone-have-the-Jardine-slip-on

Sorry for the long winded post.

~Mike......

WALLSXB
01-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Bueller-----Nice write up ! Are your fingers tired from all that typing ? Very informative. [up]

BuellerPilot
01-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks WALLSXB, ya I didn't realise how long it had gotten and how much time past till I hit "Submit Post" lol.

~Mike.....

BigBuelly
01-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Is it hard to install a new muffler and EMC is it just plug and play?

mowgoli84
01-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I run an rt-1 and have never had any issues.. how hard is it to repack a muffler?! Not very.
Its all in what you like, imo you cant go wrong with either.

BuellerPilot
01-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Easy, basic hand tools with the exception of the TORX bits needed. Anyone half way mechanically inclined can do it. If you can change a flat tire and do a brake job or change your oil then you'll be fine. If you don't have the aptitude for any of those, better find a buddy who can and buy some beer.

The ECM swap is just plug and play but should have a TPS reset done. You'll need a cable and software (It's FREE) to do it.

~Mike.....

BuellerPilot
01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Repack discussion.

http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/Repacking-Exhaust

Tider69
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I am really happy with my Drummer SS.The sound is great with no popping on decel.I also wemt wth the EBR ecm so that may be the reason for that .As far as the installation goes,it sounds complicated but I did mine in the driveway in about 2 hours(Dummer,ecm,and K@n filter).Drummers are abit pricey but in MY opinion they are worth it.I get to keep my stock pipe and ecm.Maybe in about 30 years I can sell my bike at Barrett-Jackson with all original parts for a fortune(wait a minute ,Im 42 years old....maybe my kids can make a fortune off of it in 30 years)

GregoXB
03-10-2013, 08:46 PM
On the Drummer website, there is a dyno graph for an XB12 with a Drummer SS. It says it puts down 104 RWHP and 86lbs of torque. I dyno'd my Jardine fitted XB12 with an EBR ECM and I put down 91 RWHP.

I know all dyno's are different. But I just wanted to hear what you guys had to say about it.

Do you think it is possible that a Drummer SS can make 13 more horsepower than a Jardine on an XB 12? And if not how close or far apart do you think these exhausts are in power?

MotoX6
03-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Run a rt-1 on my Firebolt, Jardine's kinda a pain to remount up, but it does sound really good, got it brand new online for $265, so a pretty good deal.

GregoXB
03-10-2013, 09:12 PM
Yea it sounds pretty good, but the Jardine can get really blatty at high RPMs.

From all my research on slip-on muffler exhausts for the XB12 my understanding is that all the mufflers pretty perform in the same range, with 1 or 2 hp or 2-3lbs of torque here or there.

Then it boils down to weight, sound and price. You might lose 2-3 lbs of torque but save 10lbs of weight with a CF slip on can. And then sound is obviously preference, and you can't really get a good assessment from watching online videos as they don't do the mufflers any justice. Some mufflers are great value, others demand an outrageous price tag and may not be worth it considering how similarly all the mufflers perform.

Would you guys agree with that?

J20tD
03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
I totally agree with that [up]

kabuell
03-11-2013, 06:30 AM
if you are going drummer spend a litle more ang get the ss

Barrygoldwaterbr
04-05-2013, 09:37 PM
The original drummer I have sounds great. It does pop on decel unless you retune the ECM or swap the ECM with an EBR. Installing a new exhaust changes the A/F ratio, usually out of reach of the self adjusting/learning capability if the stock ECM.

kbfnail
04-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Torque hammer with tune or keda with tune. Not nocking drummer. Had a jardine and now its collecting dust in my garage!

rchuff
04-06-2013, 05:52 AM
+1 on what kbfnail said mine is in the garage collecting dust to , did my own exhaust just like drummer and very happy with it.

GAXB9R
04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
nice;)

raven
04-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Ben, I have a Drummer SS with a open KN air filter and a EBR ecm and love it.Sounds great and pulls from a idle to redline like a frieghtrain. Untill I got uesd ot it, if I didn,t look at the tach I was I was riding one gear higher than I thought I was in