PDA

View Full Version : stock turn signal problems

sf_syko
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey there newb checking in with my first problem. I just got the bike, 2003 xb9r. Sometimes the turn signals work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes when they do work, they dont flash, they stay on solid. From the search I did it looks like it might be the relay? Just wanted to through it out there before i go and get it. If not the relay what else could it be? Thanks.

Stevenc150
05-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Swap relays out with another "station" and see if you're blinkers work normally; if they do then you're relay is bad. If it doesn't work though, you've probably had a wire rub through it's insulation and grounding/shorting somewhere.

sf_syko
05-26-2009, 11:53 PM
by "station" do you mean another relay? also could you tell me whats the part number for the relay.

xtremelow
05-27-2009, 06:50 AM
not sure on the relay part number probably in it, but as far as "station" just swap it out with another relay of the three you have for a test.

Sounds to me you have a simple short somewhere so I would try the relay firstbut then look closely at the blinker wires to see if they gave worn through anywhere.

Stevenc150
05-27-2009, 04:39 PM
as far as "station" just swap it out with another relay Yeah....what he said, that's what I meant. :p

As far as the number I can probably check mine when I get home if you still need it. But you can probably use relays at any Automotive store. Just take it in with you, they'll be able to tell you if they have a compatible one unless you've got a dealer close by.

Tork
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
The flasher relay is not located in the relay box, and is not swappable with other system relays. Also, the turn signals do not flow through any of the relay box relays, so swapping them around won't do any good (I just pulled all my Firebolt relays to verify this and my signals still worked fine). The flasher relay is located behind your 9R front fairing, just above the low beam headlight.

If the flasher relay is bad, you can get a replacement from the dealer or use a cheaper generic 3-prong flasher relay from Autozone or your favorite car parts store. It should cost less than $10 and would be a relatively quick and easy swap to see if that's the problem.

If you have a wiring problem related to one of the blinkers, you might try isolating the offending blinker by disconnecting them from the system one at a time until the symptoms change.

If none of the above have any effect on the problem, then you might have a harness short somewhere like Stevenc150 mentioned. Look at the wiring in the front fork stem area where the harness passes from the fairing and instrument panel to the rest of the bike. Sometimes wiring gets pinched or rubbed through as the bars move left/right. You might get lucky and spot it. If you don't see anything obviously worn or shorted, try wiggling the harness wires around while the blinkers are malfunctioning to see if the symptoms change.