PDA

View Full Version : New owner in Chicagoland

9sec240
09-17-2016, 04:44 PM
I've always liked the look and engineering of Buell motorcycles. Had been looking for an XB12R in yellow for some time. My local Harley dealer happen to get one in and I scooped it up. 2007 with almost 10k miles. Looking forward to getting into top shape and enjoying the hell out of it.

9sec240
09-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Went through the suspension today and got it adjusted for my weight according to the book. It was set up for a lighter rider which may explain why it felt like the front would dive a lot under braking. I pulled the airbox cover because I had heard some clapping / slapping / flapping under light throttle conditions. Sounded like airbox noise. Found the entire airbox lid missing. Also noticed that it appears the exhaust valve has been deleted based on the cable and unused connector zip tied under the lid. The question now is does it have a tune / tuner? How do you figure that out? Should it have a tune for no lid and open valve? Would this explain why it pops out the intake every once in a while when cold?

Any help is appreciated.

capebay23
09-17-2016, 09:23 PM
Bought my '08 xb12r w/11k miles about 5 months ago. I pulled the cover and the air box cover was chopped, the actuator cable disconnected and the exhaust valve tied open. I don't get it... almost every original Buell owner "chopped" the s*** out of the stock airbox... for what? To squeeze 1 more HP out of the motor? Oh well. I bought a new actuator cable, taped up the box to original, and had the shop reconnect everything. Totaled about $150 in work. I called the previous owner to ask if he did any tuning to go along with his "hack job" and he said he didn't. Bike runs great right now. Had other issues the previous owner didn't disclose but I won't get into that here (did another thread on it).

9sec240
09-17-2016, 09:49 PM
I really prefer to start with a stock bike to make sure there are no issues. When I turn the key on, all of the warning lights come on and go off. I do not have a check engine light when it is running so maybe there is a tuner on it?

Simplymichaeljr
09-17-2016, 10:45 PM
That's an open air box mod to allow more unrestricted air into the throttle body, and used in combonation with free flowing air filter/ muffler. So, depending on what conditions the PO was riding in (climate, elevation, etc) and any other mods, it may have been tuned. You can use ECMspy to reflash your ECM back to stock. There are plenty of old threads that can walk you through that process, and plenty of other members that can help also.
I really prefer to start with a stock bike to make sure there are no issues. I agree.

If you're parting with that inner air box cover I would be interested. Nice bike btw and welcome to the forum.

Mope
09-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Oh my, i've got lots to catch up on after being away - welcome from another Chicago Bueller!

A couple things..... 1) opening up the inner airbox is common on the list of first things to do upon purchase. Fortunately for you, he bought a cleaner cover instead of taking a hole or reciprocating saw to the OEM. 2) odd to open up the air cleaner (on a non translucent bike) and not go with a high flow filter. That's not OEM or K&N; I don't know who makes a white/black xb filter like that. 3) XB12 actuator delete is also one of the first things most people dump 4) generally speaking, opening the air intake while leaving a stock muffler is fine as it's within the compensation range of the ECM.

You're probably not getting much out of the PO's mods except more airbox noise but I wouldn't worry about the mods without corresponding retuning.

9sec240
09-18-2016, 01:35 AM
Oh my, i've got lots to catch up on after being away - welcome from another Chicago Bueller!

A couple things..... 1) opening up the inner airbox is common on the list of first things to do upon purchase. Fortunately for you, he bought a cleaner cover instead of taking a hole or reciprocating saw to the OEM. 2) odd to open up the air cleaner (on a non translucent bike) and not go with a high flow filter. That's not OEM or K&N; I don't know who makes a white/black xb filter like that. 3) XB12 actuator delete is also one of the first things most people dump 4) generally speaking, opening the air intake while leaving a stock muffler is fine as it's within the compensation range of the ECM.

You're probably not getting much out of the PO's mods except more airbox noise but I wouldn't worry about the mods without corresponding retuning.

Thanks for the info.. It was my understanding that you would get a check engine light if you deleted the muffler valve actuator. Is that correct? If so, then either this has resistors in it or some sort of flash / ECM.

9sec240
09-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Duplicate post... oops...

Well... might as well use it.

I am considering tracking the bike. I would like to put sliders and grip pads on it. Any suggestions? Also going to need new front pads soon. Suggestions there too?

9sec240
09-18-2016, 01:57 AM
Custom plate idea... whatcha think?

Mope
09-18-2016, 03:53 AM
You would get a CEL without a plug resistor or turning off the valve actuator. It's just a check box you turn off when your bike is hooked up to the computer so no 'tune' needed, per se.
Your startup indicators all sound correct/normal.

St1tch
09-20-2016, 03:49 AM
Welcome aboard. You can physically look at your ecm to see if a "race ecm" was installed. It will say on it. It is highly unlikely- since the stock one is tuneable as well. Sounds more like the situation that Mope described above.

user_deleted
09-20-2016, 01:25 PM
all tell-tale signs of a buell that has been ridden "hard" shall we say. not necessarily abused....but alot of WFO and trips to the rev-limiter. i would spend a few evenings with a shop manual(free to download on this site), familiarize yourself with both it and your new buell, and go over every fastener, adjuster, fluid level, cable tensioner, suspension fastener, braking system.
to answer one of your questions EBC HH pads highly recommended for XB's. i sell them to board members if you can't source.