PDA

View Full Version : '08 XB12R - TPS Reset - What can I expect?

capebay23
10-22-2016, 11:17 PM
After having some work done to my '08 XB12R that I bought with 12k miles on it about 6 months ago, I thought I would do a TPS reset for the hell of it. I learned the '08 and '09's could be reset without having to use the software and cable, but rather by using the "throttle" method. Even though the bike seemed to be running good, I thought I would reset it anyways since it seemed so easy. The work I had done on my bike included a new actuator exhaust cable install (old one was broken when I bought the bike) and had a broken header stud removed and repaired (had to rotate motor to fix).

So I did the TPS reset. Before I share the results, I thought I would ask the experts on here what one can expect from resetting the TPS on an '08 XB12R with 12k miles assuming it has never been done to the bike. Would it idle better, run smoother (at low end and/or top end), etc.

After I get a few responses I'll share the results as I just took the bike for a ride after using the "throttle" TPS reset method. Thanks.

Simplymichaeljr
10-23-2016, 01:14 AM
I'm no expert on TPS reset for those years. But using ECMspy on my 03, it allows you to adjust the bikes idle, giving it a healthy, steady idle. Mine idles around 1100 even though when I originally set it during the TPS reset is around 1k. I'm pretty sure I need to lube my throttle cables. It tends to close slower these days when I roll off the throttle. Idk if this would affect the outcome of a TPS reset though.

user_deleted
10-23-2016, 02:42 AM
After having some work done to my '08 XB12R that I bought with 12k miles on it about 6 months ago, I thought I would do a TPS reset for the hell of it. I learned the '08 and '09's could be reset without having to use the software and cable, but rather by using the "throttle" method. Even though the bike seemed to be running good, I thought I would reset it anyways since it seemed so easy. The work I had done on my bike included a new actuator exhaust cable install (old one was broken when I bought the bike) and had a broken header stud removed and repaired (had to rotate motor to fix).

So I did the TPS reset. Before I share the results, I thought I would ask the experts on here what one can expect from resetting the TPS on an '08 XB12R with 12k miles assuming it has never been done to the bike. Would it idle better, run smoother (at low end and/or top end), etc.

After I get a few responses I'll share the results as I just took the bike for a ride after using the "throttle" TPS reset method. Thanks.
reflexive hypothetical without any control factor IMO.
hypothetical #1: my bike ran fine. i performed a tps reset. noticed no difference regarding any performance or rideability parameters. is this normal? answer: yes.
hypothetical #2: my bike needed repairs. i fixed a broken major component of the interactive exhaust system. i repaired broken fasteners on the exhaust system. i performed a tps reset. would one expect my bike to perform better? answer: yes.

capebay23
10-23-2016, 02:47 PM
Right on LF. What a dramatic difference I noticed after the reset. The bike runs smoother at every interval. What I especially noticed was the responsiveness from a 4,000 rpm hard roll-on. Cold start is noticeably better too. No question it made a big difference after repairs.

BuellyBagger
10-23-2016, 03:58 PM
Right on LF. What a dramatic difference I noticed after the reset. The bike runs smoother at every interval. What I especially noticed was the responsiveness from a 4,000 rpm hard roll-on. Cold start is noticeably better too. No question it made a big difference after repairs.

I believe it 100%. Last winter I wiped what little crud was present out of my throttle body while changing plugs. First ride of the year comes along and she's deceleration popping and the idle is hanging. Just that tiny film of gunk made a diff. In throttle position and after a quick tps reset all was good again!