PDA

View Full Version : EBR Black Lightning

Hughlysses
11-14-2016, 11:15 PM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/RFS/2016/11/14/884626c6-8cb4-45b6-b498-21d05c030141.jpg?size=630

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/ebr-motorcycles-to-debut-black-lightning-model-nov-18-in-long-beach-california/

TPEHAK
11-15-2016, 12:33 AM
I like it

BuellyBagger
11-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Mmmmmmnice!

jasonxb9
11-15-2016, 06:18 AM
Love it!!

GregoXB
11-15-2016, 08:50 AM
So basically it is an sx with more comfortable ergos, lower gearing and a different tune?

BuellyBagger
11-15-2016, 11:52 AM
So basically it is an sx with more comfortable ergos, lower gearing and a different tune?

sounds like it. sounds good too!

Enemy Zero
11-15-2016, 12:26 PM
As excited as I am to see this, I was really wishing for an all new model. This is pretty much an SXcg.

qurtrn10
11-15-2016, 12:54 PM
From the press release back in September...
"This fall we have something ‘Quick, Dark, and Low’ in the works that should be exciting for urban street riders, and we are making real progress on expanding the range of models of the 1190 platform..."
...and...
"EBR also will show off selected upcoming 2017 ½ & 2018 model prototypes at different shows."

They are doing exactly what they said they would do - this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. This is the 'Quick, Dark, and Low', and is different from the 2017.5 and 2018 models that will be unveiled soon.

Enemy Zero
11-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Definitely not surprised. Just underwhelmed. It's very nice looking and it will fit in the lineup as a more road friendly model. Just was hoping to see something all new. That's all.

SEXT9
11-16-2016, 01:34 AM
I like it. Anyone notice the bodywork on the side finally matches? It's not all white.

TPEHAK
11-19-2016, 07:14 PM
http://www.aimag.com/wp-content/uploads/Erik-Buell-Long-Beach-IMS-2.jpg

http://www.aimag.com/wp-content/uploads/EBR-Black-Lightning.jpg

TPEHAK
11-19-2016, 07:35 PM
Personally I would like to see something like this, shorter tail, chin fairing, less bulky and simple headlight, simple small instrument cluster, short exhaust

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5883&d=1479587441

BuellyBagger
11-19-2016, 08:12 PM
http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/models/1190rx/exhaust-finish-kit-with-race-ecm.html

http://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/2/s2820_1-resize.jpg

like that?

TPEHAK
11-19-2016, 09:50 PM
Yes

TPEHAK
11-20-2016, 08:26 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ErikBuellRacing/videos/10154124958777496/

TPEHAK
11-22-2016, 02:43 AM
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/sites/motorcyclistonline.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/11/ebr-black-lightning.jpg?itok=32R2EJkV&fc=50,50

Hughlysses
11-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Lots of photos posted here: http://www.superstreetbike.com/2017-ebr-1190-black-lightning-exclusive-shoot

submax
11-30-2016, 12:40 AM
Nice mention on motorcycle.com. They list the EBR Black Lightning as #6 on their Top 10 highlights of the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show.

http://www.motorcycle.com/top10/10-highlights-from-the-long-beach-international-motorcycle-show.html?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=Motorcycle.com_weekly&utm_source=Motorcycle.com20161124

njloco
12-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Going to try and make it to the N.Y. show tomorrow and check this bike out.

qurtrn10
12-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Going to try and make it to the N.Y. show tomorrow and check this bike out.

It's here waiting for you! I got to sit on it, and I really like the lowered suspension.

TPEHAK
12-10-2016, 04:32 AM
It's here waiting for you! I got to sit on it, and I really like the lowered suspension.

Does it feel like Buell XB12Scg?

njloco
12-10-2016, 06:47 PM
It's a real beauty, like 248 says it's low, I didn't bother sitting on it because I have injuries that would've prevented me from getting a real feel for it. EB is real proud of the engine and it's ability to run very clean, Looks like a real nice handling bike ! Correct me if I'm wrong but, it looks like it might be hard to protect in the case of a slide on either side.

njloco
12-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Oopsy !

qurtrn10
12-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Does it feel like Buell XB12Scg?

It does. I had a '03 xb9sl and you definitely sit lower "in" the bike on the Black Lightning. I don't think it's different enough for me to have both my Laguna Blue SX and a Black Lightning, but I have considered it...

upthemaiden
12-20-2016, 12:46 PM
The XB9 I used to have started life as an XB9SL. Although I'm sure the height would be great on my normal commute to work, I swapped it out for the normal suspension because I just couldn't get used to a bike that low. The low suspension was so rough. There's a slightly bumpy part of highway going out of downtown that I never really noticed in a car or on most motorcycles, but it was just horrible on the low suspension. The ride was SO much nicer when I moved to the regular suspension that I'd be hesitant to try it again, as nice as it would be to flatfoot the bike in traffic. The three different seat heights was really nice though. I bought all 3 seats and it was a 5 second swap between a low seat for traffic, a medium normal riding seat, and the tall wheelie/fun seat.

I do really like the idea of offering the bike with lower gearing. I've always dropped the gearing a few teeth on bikes I've owned and it really makes life a bit nicer and more manageable.

Hughlysses
12-21-2016, 01:45 AM
The XB9 I used to have started life as an XB9SL. Although I'm sure the height would be great on my normal commute to work, I swapped it out for the normal suspension because I just couldn't get used to a bike that low. The low suspension was so rough. There's a slightly bumpy part of highway going out of downtown that I never really noticed in a car or on most motorcycles, but it was just horrible on the low suspension. The ride was SO much nicer when I moved to the regular suspension that I'd be hesitant to try it again, as nice as it would be to flatfoot the bike in traffic.

I test rode an XB12Scg when Buell still had the demo truck, and I kind of had the same impression. The ride was noticeably harsher than an XB12S.

That said, I demo'ed an 1190SX a couple of years ago and its a surprisingly tall bike. The seat height was higher than my XB12X (which I've since converted to XB12XT suspension). I'm sure I'd like the seat height of the Black Lightning better, but I am a little concerned about losing 2 inches of suspension travel, especially since I'm used to the relatively long-travel suspension of a Uly.

upthemaiden
12-21-2016, 11:52 AM
I'm sure I'd like the seat height of the Black Lightning better, but I am a little concerned about losing 2 inches of suspension travel, especially since I'm used to the relatively long-travel suspension of a Uly.

I used to have a yz426 supermoto, and I'll never get joy out of a regular suspension again.... long travel suspension is amazing. I had always ridden sportbikes before that and my rides involved seeking out the smoothest roads possible. Once I got the YZ I use to have the most fun on gravel covered and pothole filled roads. You can guess which is easier to find...

Now that I primarily use my bike for commuting, I find myself thinking that something with a lower seat would be nice just purely for comfort while I'm sitting in traffic and at redlights, so it's unlikely that I'll ever find a perfect combination of seat height and suspension travel.

BambamXB12r
12-21-2016, 12:50 PM
^^^ this is why everyone needs more than one bike.

Hughlysses
12-21-2016, 01:11 PM

No kidding. I figure I'll keep my Uly indefinitely. And whatever EBR I wind up with can be modified as required just like people have done for years with tubers and XB's if I find the seat height and/or suspension isn't to my liking.

njloco
12-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Unless I'm missing something, that front oil cooler on the BL looks to me, to be too low for the pot holes one would encounter in NY and NJ, not to mention the debris it would pick up, can anyone explain this engineering decision ?

TPEHAK
12-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Front wheel generates wind to blow it on the cooler. Also locating the cooler closer to the ground lets use wind gradient, so you can ride downwind at wind speed and the cooler will always be in the slow wind gradient zone close to the ground so it will be aways moving trough the air and cooling, even downwind direction.

user_deleted
12-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Front wheel generates wind to blow it on the cooler. Also locating the cooler closer to the ground lets use wind gradient, so you can ride downwind at wind speed and the cooler will always be in the slow wind gradient zone close to the ground so it will be aways moving trough the air and cooling, even downwind direction.

i don't know where in Gods' name you come up with this stuff but a rotating motorcycle wheel assembly does NOT generate any "wind" of appreciable measurement. if the tire had blades or paddles on its tread then......you get the picture. and how do i know this to be true? put a cycle.....any cycle.....any tire size or tread pattern in existence.....on a dyno, lash it down, and spool it up to speed. even with the rear wheel rotating at speeds in excess of over 100mph real road speed you can walk behind the bike...put your hand close to the rear of the tire...and it is virtually "dead-air" space directly behind it....no wind generated. what sometimes reads nicely in a tech journal or online jibberish site doesn't typically transfer to real-world facts.

njloco
12-21-2016, 03:33 PM
As above statement is also verified by watching people doing burnouts and the tire smoke seems to just hang there !

I should have clarified my statement/question, I'm more worried about the pot holes crushing the oil cooler and possibly getting destroyed by debris coming off the tire, possibly caused by the wind, just kidding !

BuellyBagger
12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
As above statement is also verified by watching people doing burnouts and the tire smoke seems to just hang there !

I should have clarified my statement/question, I'm more worried about the pot holes crushing the oil cooler and possibly getting destroyed by debris coming off the tire, possibly caused by the wind, just kidding !

I've been wondering about the vulnerability of that cooler as well, but I've noticed HD used the same basic location on touring (electra glide, road king, etc.) Bikes that, for some, put on a ton of miles and have never heard a debris damaged the oil cooler complaint. So maybe they're tougher than we think?

Hughlysses
12-21-2016, 04:30 PM
If you check out the specs, all 3 models have the same ground clearance...4.7"

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/1190blacklightning

Yea, I noticed that's what it says, but I think somebody just got lazy and cut and pasted specs. They dropped the whole bike 2 inches.

oh9bolt
12-21-2016, 10:40 PM
^^^

upthemaiden
12-22-2016, 02:51 PM
That would have to be a serious pothole for your front tire to sink so far that the oil cooler would drag on the ground on it's way into it. You're best just to swerve around those. The only time I really picture it being some kind of issue is if you try to ride off of a sidewalk or go over a median where the front wheel drops down a few inches. That would be tough on any street bike though.

Tell me about it. Always nice to have at least two bikes. I really want to rip my S1 apart and give it a full makeover, but that's gotta wait until I've got something else to ride. I'd be happy with my S1 for fun and an Indian Scout for commuting, but between just finishing remodeling the kitchen, having two car payments, and a new baby(IVF: $$$), it'll be a single bike garage for a few years from now.

TPEHAK
04-14-2017, 05:55 AM
Here is how EBR Black Lightning should look like

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6943&d=1492149222

TPEHAK
10-11-2017, 05:09 AM
It looks like sit height on Black Lightning is still higher than on Buell XB12Scg. 774 mm vs 726 mm. 48 mm difference. Pretty big difference.

https://www.erikbuellracing.com/1190blacklightning
https://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/buell_lightning_xb12scg_2009.php

qurtrn10
10-11-2017, 12:19 PM
I had a xb9sl (earlier version of the xb12scg) and I've sat on the Black Lightning - they feel the same. I could flat foot both of them, whereas a regular height xb had me on the balls of my feet, and a regular 1190RX/SX I'm close to flat footing but can't completely. The difference in the seat height was offset by the EBR being much narrower.

user_deleted
10-11-2017, 12:43 PM
TEABAG: i have no idea why you continue to flood this site with your ridiculous and completely worthless observations and photo bombs but let's put the "mythical" EBR BLACK LIGHTNING to rest once and for all. i'm sure many other board members who have heard about it would like to know the REAL facts:
there were only TWO produced. that is it. anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong.
the FIRST black lightning built was a prototype with an obscure and incorrect VIN built on a 2015 year 1190SX platform. it was sold at the EBR liquidation event and is in private hands.
the SECOND black lightning has VIN #00001 and the letter C as part of the VIN model designation. it is THE bike displayed at the IMS unveiling with erik buell beside it. whereabouts unknown as of this date.
board member qurtrn10 bought the remaining black lightning parts....enough to convert one SX to a BL at the EBR auction...but as yet has done nothing with them that i'm aware of. if he has i'm sure he'll chime in.

perhaps you could CAD design and build me one this weekend? that would be highly appreciated.

Restlessrustler
10-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Ease up a bit, its just his opinion. We might not all like the exact same thing when it comes to customizing, but we all do like Buells!

lancruza
10-12-2017, 04:04 AM
TEABAG: i have no idea why you continue to flood this site with your ridiculous and completely worthless observations and photo bombs but let's put the "mythical" EBR BLACK LIGHTNING to rest once and for all. i'm sure many other board members who have heard about it would like to know the REAL facts:
there were only TWO produced. that is it. anyone who says otherwise is dead wrong.
the FIRST black lightning built was a prototype with an obscure and incorrect VIN built on a 2015 year 1190SX platform. it was sold at the EBR liquidation event and is in private hands.
the SECOND black lightning has VIN #00001 and the letter C as part of the VIN model designation. it is THE bike displayed at the IMS unveiling with erik buell beside it. whereabouts unknown as of this date.
board member qurtrn10 bought the remaining black lightning parts....enough to convert one SX to a BL at the EBR auction...but as yet has done nothing with them that i'm aware of. if he has i'm sure he'll chime in.

perhaps you could CAD design and build me one this weekend? that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks John for the info about the Black Lightning bikes. I was curious if they ever went to production. I really liked what I had read about those bikes. Such a shame that the EBR story has ended.

Silverrider
10-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Here is my Pegasus white Lightning ! LOL

njloco
10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Is that thin seat comfortable ?

MakingPAIN
10-12-2017, 02:55 PM

this is my "black lightning".... and yes only one true black lighting was made and the other one was a 1190sx converted just to have a bike at shows

Silverrider
10-12-2017, 03:25 PM

this is my "black" lightning.... and yes only one true black lighting was made and the other one was a 1190sx converted just to have a bike at shows

Awesome !!!

Silverrider
10-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Is that thin seat comfortable ?

Yes ,it is , When you are riding this bike you are having the greatest time you can imagine, never once did I think about the seat other than hanging on.

TPEHAK
10-12-2017, 04:30 PM
So where I can buy the true Black Lightning?

Cooter
10-12-2017, 10:40 PM
Since only 2 exist and the location of just one is known like Lunatic just said...

You'd have better luck buying an SX and making the minor mods yourself. It would be a fun project!

TPEHAK
10-12-2017, 11:03 PM
But location is unknown for the true Black Lightning. I need the real one, the only one in the world.

njloco
10-12-2017, 11:59 PM
You probably have a better chance winning the lottery than buying the one and only true Black Lightening!

qurtrn10
10-13-2017, 12:08 AM

this is my "black lightning".... and yes only one true black lighting was made and the other one was a 1190sx converted just to have a bike at shows

Not exactly. The one taken to the shows was the actual Black Lightning (VIN#001 - I know because I went to the show and took a pic of the VIN)

The other bike did begin as a SX (2015 #036) and was built before BL VIN #001. The converted SX was the prototype for the Black Lightning, and used in photoshoots with Joey B doing burnouts. It never went on the show scene. (I know it was the one in the Joey B photoshoots because I've seen the high rez pics from the shoot and zoomed in and read the VIN).

I am the one who bought the Black Lightning parts from EBR at the liquidation sale. It's not everything, but I do have most of the parts (to be complete I would need to add the taller handlebar, longer cables, Black Lightning decals, and lower Knight Design pegs.

If you have any other questions about the BL that I can help with, I'll do my best to help.

Silverrider
10-13-2017, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the info ,^^^^^ good stuff

SEXT9
10-13-2017, 01:15 AM
There's more then one black lightning with the vin #00001.

I have one.

BuellyBagger
10-13-2017, 11:53 AM
But location is unknown for the true Black Lightning. I need the real one, the only one in the world.

why?!!? does it need seafoamed?

lancruza
10-13-2017, 02:41 PM
why?!!? Does it need seafoamed?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHa!

Silverrider
10-13-2017, 03:14 PM
why?!!? does it need seafoamed?

If the Seafoam doesn't do it, It might need to be blasted with walnut shells or pecans shells.

MakingPAIN
10-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Not exactly. The one taken to the shows was the actual Black Lightning (VIN#001 - I know because I went to the show and took a pic of the VIN)

The other bike did begin as a SX (2015 #036) and was built before BL VIN #001. The converted SX was the prototype for the Black Lightning, and used in photoshoots with Joey B doing burnouts. It never went on the show scene. (I know it was the one in the Joey B photoshoots because I've seen the high rez pics from the shoot and zoomed in and read the VIN).

I am the one who bought the Black Lightning parts from EBR at the liquidation sale. It's not everything, but I do have most of the parts (to be complete I would need to add the taller handlebar, longer cables, Black Lightning decals, and lower Knight Design pegs.

If you have any other questions about the BL that I can help with, I'll do my best to help.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was close but no cigar. The info I read was obviously a little off.

Don't seafoam your EBR without a video of it smoking its butt off.

Silverrider
10-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. I was close but no cigar. The info I read was obviously a little off.

Don't seafoam your EBR without a video of it smoking its butt off.

ok, then here,

Phelan
10-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Qtrtrn if I'm not mistaken on what you have you would also need the clutch and brake lines, throttle cables, forks, kickstand and rear shock.