PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Trans Locked up

xtremelow
05-30-2009, 02:20 AM
So I went for a ride today put on about 200 miles and as I was finishing up I just started coasting for my exit and go to down shift and all hell breaks loose.

My back tire locks up throwing my bike back and forth stutter skidding for close to 100 feet until I stopped since I was still doing 40mph. As I inspected my bike I had no Nuetral, couldnt clutch in any gear, and then for some reason tried to move the bike in Nuetral and it would drive making this awful gashing sound, but only in Nuetral( I was driving my bike down the road 30mph in Nuetral). I know it isnt the tire it is the damn transmission. But why the hell would it do it all of a sudden with no fore warning?

What can I do? Is this a job I could do on my own or are specialty tools needed, thus needing to trailer the bike to the dealer 100 miles away.

racepro716
05-30-2009, 02:49 AM
I broke a shift fork on my 81 GPz 1100 once. got stuck in second and third at the same time. Only drove it 3 blocks and did a TON of damage. Back in 1983 it cost around $1000 to have it fixed, that's about a $million or so now,lol. PARK IT!!! I'm guessing the tranny's screwed. I'm new to the Buell so I don't know about special tools and such but I think somebody's gotta look inside, sorry dude :( Wayne

ophawk
05-30-2009, 02:52 AM
Well Hell,
I know that ain't fun!! If it is in the tranny you will have to split the case to get at it. It sounds like to me that you may have lost the bearings on the counter shaft.
You could pull the clutch in though without extra effort? the clutch seems to work, properly just can't shift, right?
Can you put it in 4th, and most of the noise go away?

dave_xb12r
05-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Sounds like you're going to need to sell me your scoops!

Maybe you should uhh... stop drag racing!!! Damn kids...lol

kajer
05-30-2009, 03:24 AM
oh noes! are you still interested in my swingarm? or do you want to put that on hold until you get the tranny figured out?

Trill
05-30-2009, 04:07 AM
that sucks big donkey ****! Now I'm gonna be in fear for the rest of my bikes life lol,. Good thing that didn't happen in a corner, you might have more problems. Hope it goes well for you man!

xtremelow
05-30-2009, 09:18 AM
yes I still want the swingarm this will just be a set back, but since it is torn apart I can send my parts out to get powder coated.

Also I had 4-5 gear but was forces to ride the bike a little ways and those conpletely gave out so it is like I only have one big long gear w/ no nuetral. The clutch cable nearly snapped in half inside the primary but clutch still pulls in like normal just no gears.

I will look at the service manual and see if it goes into any depth on how to's for the tranny.

All I want to do is ride my damn bike, sounds like all road trips are off till this gets done.

xtremelow
05-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Damn, just look in the service manual how in depth the trans work would be and you need every damn specialty tool for the Buell to do the job not to mention a press, and couple random one time use tools that would cost a fortune to buy.

**** Me. Looks like this is going to cost more money than my bike is worth. Might just look for a used Engine/Trans on ebay.

I know a Harley mechanic who does side work but not sure he can even do this without being at the dealer.

****!!!!!!!

tuneport67ss
05-30-2009, 01:58 PM
It is not the end of the world man. You might just check into a tranny and put a new one on it. What ever you do though, do not drive it. The more you move it the more damage it will do. Where are you located, I have built many transmissions in my time and may be able to lend my services.
Look at the bright side. I would check around and see, but I am pretty sure that there is a 6 speed tranny for the sporster that may be able to be hooke dup to the buell. I dont know for sure though. With a little fabrication and money anything is possible. THen you would have the fastest buell around. :p
If you are near GA shoot me an E-mail and we can see if we can fix your tranny. tuneport67ss@hotmail.comnull

xtremelow
05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Nope live in MI.

And it ain't movin already have the bottom of the bike apart.

Figure I can remove the engine and trans then bring it somewhere to have it rebuilt then install it myself. I just don't have all the specialty tools or really the time to get in depth with learning tranny work.

only1reds
05-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear that extreme.

xtremelow
05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Well maybe while my bike is down I may just do the Buell XB9Drag bike I have mentioned. Might even buy an XB12Scg swap the suspension and engine and get mine fixed then sell the Scg as a basic XB9S and have mine be an XB12Drag?!??

Or I may just get it fixed so I can ride this summer and do that over the winter, hell who knows what I will do till it is done. One thing is safe to say my bike will be even better after it is back together.

xtremelow
06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Get this. No complaining but sort of bragging.

My insurance is going to pay for the damages on my bike from the trans locking up due to "Mechanical failure".

Damn got lucky as hell on this one. It is saving me some major bank and a ton of time off the road.

For once an Insurane is working with me and not against. All I have to pay is the deductable.

:D:D:D

oxygen151
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM
What kind of insurance do you have?

only1reds
06-05-2009, 04:45 AM
For once an Insurane is working with me and not against.

That's beautiful. I have Geico full coverage and they are paying for my hospital bill from a piece of UFO (lol no but seriously a pipe hit my leg and broke the ankle and fibula, no collision, or didn't go down, just the impact alone broke my leg) on the highway back in Dec. 08.

xtremelow
06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Oh up top I forgot to add I did hit (run over a deer) this us why my insurance is paying for it. I also did go down but nothing major to report just scratched up.

Luckly I went down on Thursday and had my bike inspected by my insurance agent otherwise there is no way they were going to possibly pay since I just put full coverage on it and it looks intentinal to them.

But they have been giving me a hard time now so I may not end up being able to get it fixed.