PDA

View Full Version : Short guy on a Ulysses?

chiliphil1
02-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, I may have finally gotten a chance to get myself a buell! I've had my XL1200s posted on craigslist for a while and finally got an offer today. I was really in the market for a lightning or firebolt but the offer came in for a ulysses. I'm trying to get something a little more comfortable to ride than my sporty as I was in an accident a couple of years ago and have very limited range of motion in my hip, the bunched up riding position of my sporty just isn't working for me and I was thinking something like a Buell could offer a more comfortable position.

Anyway, to the main question. I'm 5'7" and have an inseam of about 29-30" I know the seat height is very tall on the X but I'm also fairly heavy at about 225. I was looking into lowering kits but I didn't see too many options and the main 1 I found only lists about a 1" drop. I've also seen that you can install the suspension from other Buell models to lower it as well but that may be a little cost prohibitive for me right now.

In essence, is there anyone here who is short like me that the Ulysses worked for? Would I be able to operate it safely?

Thank you for any help.

user_deleted
02-02-2017, 05:27 PM
at your specifications sire you are going to really struggle mounting and dismounting a STOCK ulysses. i've owned 7 of them so i know what i speak of. i'm 6ft tall and 190lbs and at my proportions they remained "challenging" to mount and dismount from. tip-toes used at stops of course. you'll now find that midgets, wizards and dwarfs on here will chime in with "go to hell John. i'm 4ft.10 inches tall and ride my ulysses daily with nary a problem." let the rumble commence.

Dobe1
02-02-2017, 06:25 PM

AZmidget91
02-02-2017, 06:51 PM
AZmidget91 here, and I wish my XB12SCG was lower

So go to hell John!

yellowcarbon
02-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Well, if you are near the Phoenix area, I got a 2004 Lightning I'll trade for your Ulysses. I'll even add some cash or trade on my end to make it interesting to you.

chiliphil1
02-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Well, if you are near the Phoenix area, I got a 2004 Lightning I'll trade for your Ulysses. I'll even add some cash or trade on my end to make it interesting to you.

Dude, I would do that RIGHT NOW but I'm in Georgia. If you want to make the ride over here I'll pass on the extra cash offer :cool:

user_deleted
02-02-2017, 07:27 PM

So go to hell John!

nice job cole. somehow just knew that was coming....and right quick.

AZmidget91
02-02-2017, 07:46 PM
I didn't want to disappoint you :eagerness:

Chicknstripn
02-02-2017, 08:05 PM
I just want to point out that if you have comfort issues on a sporty, you're gonna have 10x the issues on a firebolt or lightning.
And if you're vertically challenged, forget about the uly!
My brother is 6ft tall and carries his 240lbs quite well. He couldn't ride my firebolt more than 1/2 a mile before turning around and giving it up. His hips and knees did not enjoy the riding position.
His bike of choice is a KLR 600(or is it 650?). Anyway, he's into the adventure dual sport bikes and couldn't stand my bolt.
Just FYI

airbozo
02-02-2017, 08:51 PM
I have 1995 sportster 1200 (with 89" stroker kit), 2000 S3T and a 2009 Firebolt. I am 6' 2" ~220lbs.

The sporty is the lowest of the 3 and a tie for most comfortable. It has the stock mid foot pegs and drag bars on it (it's also the fastest of the 3). The S3T is great for commuting and longer rides, but it is definitely taller. It handles pretty well too. The Firebolt is new to me and so far I am enjoying the hell out of it, but I would not try to take it on any long rides due to the riding position. I am sure I look like a giant on it. It is however the best handling of the 3. I intend to install the lower pegs in the near future.

I ride solo 99% of the time, but when the SO wants to feel some Detroit vibrator, she prefers the sporty . She has not been on the firebolt except to help me load it in the trailer once. She struggled to touch the ground, but she is 5'6". She could not touch on the S3T either. She has ridden the sporty, but after the stroker kit was installed, she scared the hell out of herself pulling the wheel off the ground as she accelerated the first time, so she is nervous about riding it again. Big difference from her old 883.

Hope this helps.

njloco
02-02-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm 5'9" if I stretch, my inseam is 29". Now maybe it's because I also own a Triumph Explorer, very top heavy bike and I lowered it or I've gotten used to it, but I have no problem with the ully at all. Oh, did I mention I'm also old !

Keep your eyes open for a lower seat, they come up every now and then, there is also a way to lower the bike, it's like a different, or thinner washer that goes on the bottom of the rear shock, I'm sure someone will tell you the correct terminology for it.

Good luck with it, your going to love it !

John, are you making fun of short people again, because I resemble that remark. Hey, by the way, the SS has 617 miles on it, original owner !

BuellyBagger
02-02-2017, 11:01 PM
at your specifications sire you are going to really struggle mounting and dismounting a STOCK ulysses. i've owned 7 of them so i know what i speak of. i'm 6ft tall and 190lbs and at my proportions they remained "challenging" to mount and dismount from. tip-toes used at stops of course. you'll now find that midgets, wizards and dwarfs on here will chime in with "go to hell John. i'm 4ft.10 inches tall and ride my ulysses daily with nary a problem." let the rumble commence.

You're damn right! I think I'm a wizard,but either way. I was over 200 when I bought my uly and I'm 5'7". (I was close to 250!) Anywho now down to a pudgy 175lol. A uly is still a monstrously tall bike! Almost 7 years of owning it and a factory low seat and xb12stt rear shock to get about 3/4" inch drop in the rear and the bike is my third limb. That being said at your height (our) it will take tons on practice to handle the bike in parking and stopping situations also you'll seldom be able to back it up while on the bike. You'll have to mind the slope of any surface you stop on because a few degrees the wrong way and you can't get it rocked back on the stand or reach with the foot you need to. I think that explains the PITA it can be. But if you lower it and are careful and determined you will love the Ulysses

chiliphil1
02-02-2017, 11:53 PM
I just want to point out that if you have comfort issues on a sporty, you're gonna have 10x the issues on a firebolt or lightning.
And if you're vertically challenged, forget about the uly!
My brother is 6ft tall and carries his 240lbs quite well. He couldn't ride my firebolt more than 1/2 a mile before turning around and giving it up. His hips and knees did not enjoy the riding position.
His bike of choice is a KLR 600(or is it 650?). Anyway, he's into the adventure dual sport bikes and couldn't stand my bolt.
Just FYI

You're probably right. My sporty is a 1200S, so it has mid controls but they are higher and further foward than any other sportster. It's that knee in the chest thing that bothers me, having to hold my hip at that angle. Fowards are out becuase the pressure that the weight of my leg places on my hip in that position is even worse! I generally don't mind the sport bike seating position, in fact the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned was the Yamaha YZF600R which is a sport/touring bike, it was awesome. I could hop on that bike and ride all day. I'm hoping that the Uly will be the same as that though I realize it's an adventure and not a sport tourer.

I'm 5'9" if I stretch, my inseam is 29". Now maybe it's because I also own a Triumph Explorer, very top heavy bike and I lowered it or I've gotten used to it, but I have no problem with the ully at all. Oh, did I mention I'm also old !

Keep your eyes open for a lower seat, they come up every now and then, there is also a way to lower the bike, it's like a different, or thinner washer that goes on the bottom of the rear shock, I'm sure someone will tell you the correct terminology for it.

Good luck with it, your going to love it !

John, are you making fun of short people again, because I resemble that remark. Hey, by the way, the SS has 617 miles on it, original owner !

Yes, I have seen a few methods of lowering the Uly, I think the suspension replacement route (ss shock, 1125 forks) seems the most appealing but who knows? Maybe the spacer alone would be enough, or the lower seat, or both! Anyhow, I think that I'll look into any and all options and may use every one of them.

You're damn right! I think I'm a wizard,but either way. I was over 200 when I bought my uly and I'm 5'7". (I was close to 250!) Anywho now down to a pudgy 175lol. A uly is still a monstrously tall bike! Almost 7 years of owning it and a factory low seat and xb12stt rear shock to get about 3/4" inch drop in the rear and the bike is my third limb. That being said at your height (our) it will take tons on practice to handle the bike in parking and stopping situations also you'll seldom be able to back it up while on the bike. You'll have to mind the slope of any surface you stop on because a few degrees the wrong way and you can't get it rocked back on the stand or reach with the foot you need to. I think that explains the PITA it can be. But if you lower it and are careful and determined you will love the Ulysses

Yes, I am aware of the issues I'll face. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things where it's like "you won't touch at all" or if it would be one of those "teeter totter" things which it seems like it'll be. I've had a couple of bikes, namely the Triumph sprint ST which I was 1 foot down at a time, couldn't back up at all, but when on the road it was fine and I could handle it just fine as well. I'm also a metric bike mechanic and I have been on several different things from Triumph tigers to, versys, DR650's, MX bikes, etc. I couldn't touch on any of them but was able to manouver and get down the road safely. I'm a very experienced rider as I do it all day long on many different bikes. I just wasn't sure if the Uly is worse than those as I have never been on one of those. If it's anything similar I have ridden an XR1200 and it wasn't too bad, one of the other guys dumped that bike because he couldn't reach the ground, I couldn't either but I guess I was a little better with shifting my weight..

Anyhow, I appreciate the comments. I think the Uly will be a good bike for me, it should certainly fit the bill better than what I am on now. The owner is supposed to bring her by in the morning and if everything is good on both ends we'll swap. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Enemy Zero
02-03-2017, 02:13 AM
I'll chime in here. I'm 5'7" with about a 28 inseam. I have a 2006 Ulysses with a low seat and have the hyperpro lowering kit on it. I am comfortable on it. I will also say that you need to be comfortable with the fact that you WILL NOT be able to flat foot with both feet on it. I can't think of a single bike where I really can and I've never been the type to make it an issue. If it's what you want, you'll have to adapt.

Just wanted to chime in. It can be done. It will all depend on your level of comfort. Myself personally, I wouldn't want anything else. This bike has been all I could have hoped for and more. Pure comfort. rides like you're on a cloud. I love mine and find myself on it more than my 9SX a lot.

Pic to show how she sits right now height wise.

Chicknstripn
02-03-2017, 04:36 AM
^^^^^Now that's the best feedback of the whole thread!

chiliphil1
02-03-2017, 09:57 AM
I'll chime in here. I'm 5'7" with about a 28 inseam. I have a 2006 Ulysses with a low seat and have the hyperpro lowering kit on it. I am comfortable on it. I will also say that you need to be comfortable with the fact that you WILL NOT be able to flat foot with both feet on it. I can't think of a single bike where I really can and I've never been the type to make it an issue. If it's what you want, you'll have to adapt.

Just wanted to chime in. It can be done. It will all depend on your level of comfort. Myself personally, I wouldn't want anything else. This bike has been all I could have hoped for and more. Pure comfort. rides like you're on a cloud. I love mine and find myself on it more than my 9SX a lot.

Pic to show how she sits right now height wise.

Thank you. I definitely don't plan to flat foot it, I knew that wasn't going to happen! I work with guy who has a BMW GS800 (I think) and he's at least a foot taller than I and he flat foots that bike but his legs are at about my chest, so I realize that I'm not going to be in that same scenario. I'm fine with riding a bike I can't flat foot, as I mentioned before I'm a motorcycle tech, so I spend all day riding things and I have been on many where I had to lean the bike over and touch with 1 foot while the other stayed on the peg. Even MX bikes where I have to lean them against the wall to kick them because I can't stand high enough over it to kick it. I've definitely done it. I just didn't want to see someone say "the Uly is so big it makes an MX bike seem like a tricycle" and no one has, so that works for me.

Man, if the guy shows up at the time he said I am t-minus 3 hours from seeing the bike now! Can't wait.

BuellyBagger
02-03-2017, 12:13 PM
Pics or it didn't happen! Good luck.
I will add, my wish on my uly is that I had the time/money to lower it enough to use the standard seat. It was much more comfy than my low one. So something to consider if you get it.

chiliphil1
02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Done deal guys!

The guy showed up about 7:30 this morning, we did a little ride around the block and I went for it. It was completely comfortable with my hip issue, smooth on the highway, great brakes and all of that. As far as touching it is a challenge but it's just about the same as I am on any sport or sport touring bike. It's isn't higher or worse than those and I've spent a lot of time on them, so I am comfortable with only placing 1 foot down at a time or being tip toe with both down. Either way, I'm pretty happy and the other guy loved my sportster, said it's the fastest sportster he's ever seen (I told him that already) I'll miss having the special S model sportster but I think I'll be happier riding the Buell because I can ride and be comfortable rather than just looking at the sportster becuase it hurt to much to ride.

Anyway, pics.. So it DID happen!

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/chiliphil1/Mobile%20Uploads/3663754C-7C5A-446D-8F9E-36D6DB1947B5_zps0uh7cmaj.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/chiliphil1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3663754C-7C5A-446D-8F9E-36D6DB1947B5_zps0uh7cmaj.jpg.html)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/chiliphil1/Mobile%20Uploads/9C5553C4-9230-41E1-AA64-3CFDF36051F5_zps6z1qdox0.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/chiliphil1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9C5553C4-9230-41E1-AA64-3CFDF36051F5_zps6z1qdox0.jpg.html)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/chiliphil1/Mobile%20Uploads/3319C018-FC97-4668-BFF2-5474BBFA647D_zpsgwibhvjt.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/chiliphil1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3319C018-FC97-4668-BFF2-5474BBFA647D_zpsgwibhvjt.jpg.html)

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss146/chiliphil1/Mobile%20Uploads/BAB9F967-0C70-4702-94D0-1C7CB940A2E1_zpssqla872d.jpg (http://s570.photobucket.com/user/chiliphil1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/BAB9F967-0C70-4702-94D0-1C7CB940A2E1_zpssqla872d.jpg.html)

Chicknstripn
02-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Very nice! Good looking bike.
It's all about what makes you happy.
You close to TN or NC?
Couldn't help but notice the white dragon sticker on the bike.

chiliphil1
02-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Very nice! Good looking bike.
It's all about what makes you happy.
You close to TN or NC?
Couldn't help but notice the white dragon sticker on the bike.

I'm in GA. The PO lived in north GA, so he would go up there sometimes. I'll probably end up taking that off as I've never been up there.

Enemy Zero
02-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Congrats on picking up the uly. Looks clean. I'm sure you'll be happy with it for years to come!

Enemy Zero
02-03-2017, 04:02 PM

So go to hell John!

I may have the bike for you, Cole.

BuellyBagger
02-03-2017, 07:49 PM
Clean uly!congrats

cknapp
06-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Hey I happened to stumble upon this thread. Are you looking for a lower seat? I have one that came with my bike that I don't want. Trying to sell it. I posted it here in another thread: HERE (http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?53368-For-Sale-Low-profile-seat-for-06-Ulysses-150) . Give me a shout if you're interested!

Graeme1203
06-20-2017, 07:00 PM
No idea if you're still looking, bumped into this.
https://japan.webike.net/products/22819408.html

XB12MN
06-26-2017, 05:36 PM
^^Has anyone ever used a "kit" like that? I would be skeptical of it as it's billed as "universal" across all XB models, despite the longer frame/swingarm of the X/XT/P/SS/STT models vs standard S/Scg/R models. Also, it only addresses the rear suspension and not the front...

I wandered in here as I just picked up an 08 XB12XT and with a 5'6" frame and 29" inseam have been asking all the same questions. Can I handle the bike as is? Sure, but, would like it a little lower. Looking in to the SS suspension/kickstand swap that some have mentioned... thinking that's the best route.

cknapp
06-26-2017, 06:23 PM
As I mentioned earlier, you can buy seats that will drop it an inch or 2. I have one of those said seats that I'm looking to sell...

Silverrider
06-27-2017, 12:28 AM
You can get a SCG rear shock , and getto style cut the front springs 1" , But dont tell any body I told you to do this.

Two more dirty tricks to get your feet on the ground, I am sure I will .7507for showing you this.

Graeme1203
06-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Master bodger at work, well done sir....... Not sure I would have shared though.

Graeme1203
06-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Reshaping of the seat at the front pays biggest dividends, especially a reduction in width ( and probably cheapest solution)

not1044
07-02-2017, 09:03 PM
By the age of this thread I can only assume the original poster has sorted out his solution.

As a short guy (5'8" - used to be 5'9" before breaking my back, old age, etc.) With about a 30" inseam I thought I'd throw my $.02 out there for any other prospective Uly buyers who may be vertically challenged.

I've left mine stock and not had a single issue. In fact I've even added an Airhawk to the seat pushing me further from the ground. I only touch the tips of my toes to the ground unless I slide to one side and just use one foot, which I do the majority of the time. The only time this gets old for me is when I commute to work and get stuck in stop & go traffic, but it's forced me to learn to balance on the pegs at 0-2mph much better...anybody competing in trials on a Uly? :D

Full disclosure: I did grow up on dirt bikes and became used to riding on bikes I couldn't touch the ground on 40 years ago...

That said, Buell's low center of gravity and relatively light weight (say compared to a GS) makes it surprisingly easy to handle. I do have to be a bit more aware of hazards where I put my foot down such as dips in the pavement, sand, oil slicks etc. However, in the 9+ years I've owned, not once have I come close to dropping it. In fact I don't even think about the height anymore, as a matter of fact, I don't think I'd ever want to give it up. I thoroughly enjoy the plush ride the extra suspension affords, particularly in early spring with our over abundance of pot hole and frost heaves up here. When I'm in traffic, being able to see over most of it and actually being closer to eye level of drivers in large trucks is a huge advantage to me.

So, at the end of the day, do not let the stock height worry you and don't automatically start thinking about making it lower. Assess your skills and comfort level. Maybe even sharpencyour skills with some training. Up here there are classes conducted specifically for low speed maneuvering on motorcycles and with the rapidly increased interest in adventure bikes, there are more and more classes being offered for this specific category.

I've learned that I love my bike taller than my inseam almost as much as I love women taller than me :D

Hope this helps someone out there wrestling with deciding on a Uly!