PDA

View Full Version : Throttle sticking open

my99scoob
06-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Folks, any thoughts on the next Uly ailment. The throttle is sticking open. Whereas it used to roll down from 5-6000 rpm to idle (just under 1000 rpm) in a second, it now takes 6-7 seconds to drop back down. Its gently rolls to 2,500rom, and then hovers there for 4 seconds or so, and then gently rolls down to 1000rpm. it seems to be worse once the engine has warmed up, and if the throttle is open at the same rev range for a while, eg freeway/motorway riding, it takes much longer to drop down. traditionally, i would have thought it was a sticking or snagged throttle cable, but i've read a little about 2x throttle return springs, and also TPS resets. Any thoughts? its an '06 Uly

Stevenc150
06-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Idle adjustment may be set high. When I first got my '06 12S, the idle was set around 1150 and it would do that "hovering" thing. Idle should be just slightly above 1000rpm, aiming for 1050. Back out on your idle adjustment screw and hopefully that will fix it, assuming the Uly's are the same setup as the XB's.

my99scoob
06-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I have an ongoing issue with the trip info / clock info / idle speed resetting (another story), so the idle speed should be factory. any reason it would do the "hanging" thing around 2000rpm? it does eventually settle around 1000rpm, but the falling revs stall around 2500rpm, nowhere near where the idle should be. sometimes much higher!

Stevenc150
06-01-2009, 07:13 PM
What you just described above is what I meant by "hovering".

Even if it was set at the factory, it won't take a second to try. Adjust after taking a short ride so the bike is fully warmed up. Drop it down to at 1000 and try it.

You doing the TPS resets yourself?

horseplay
06-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Definitely try setting the idle just under 1000RPM. I had the same problem and the only things I did that could have solved it were setting the idle lower and running a couple tanks of good fuel through it (Bike was sitting a while before I bought it)

GatorBuell
06-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Does the throttle slam shut if you open it up. Turn your handle bars to the left and try. It might be your throttle and return cables of of adjustment. If its not the idle hanging from being set to high. My bike hangs if I set it anywhere over 970 rpm's at idle.

my99scoob
06-02-2009, 08:09 AM
No, not doing the TPS resets myself. Reading up, looks like you need ECMSpy and the cable for this. Forgive my ignorance, but is the idle speed manual, or do I need to do this with a laptop and cable?

Stevenc150
06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Manual via the idle adjustment screw, next to your left hand engine air scoop. If you don't have your Owner's manual, go to Buell.com if you want directions with pics and stuff. Under the "Owners" section you can have Free access to Owner's manuals.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/2339_20090602092410_L.jpg

my99scoob
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
the bike has to go into the shop again to swap out the ECM/ECU, as part of an ongoing trip/clock reset issue they are dealing with, and they have said they will look at the throttle sticking. the mechanic has said it sounds like the Throttle Position is out, and they will do a TPS reset as part of the ECM install. If this fails, I'll try the idle speed. thanks guys for your help here. i'll feedback what happens

Buell_Cru
06-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Better stuck open then stuck closed I guess...

I would be pretty pissed if I couldn't open my throttle.:p

my99scoob
06-08-2009, 06:36 AM
ok, so this weekend i collected it after i was told the cable that the idle adjuster connects to had all but broken. they replaced this, cleaned the butterfly valve on the air box, and said it was fine. 10mins down the road, the throttle was sticking open again. its back at the shop again now, and i'm waiting to hear whats next. theyve suggested it might be the throttle position sensor itself. loosing faith :(