PDA

View Full Version : small exhaust leak at torca clamp

pdksh
03-14-2017, 04:37 PM
Just noticed a small pinging sound and found fresh soot at the header pipe to muffler junction. There is a little ping at about 3000 RPM that sounds like an exhaust leak that makes me crazy. From what I can see in the service manual and parts guide there is no replacement gasket between the header and the muffler. Can anyone recommend a procedure to ensure the muffler is properly seated on the header and if it is recommended to apply some sort of aftermarket muffler paste to seal up the small leak.

I tightened the torca clamp down pretty tight by hand, no torque settings but I don't want to strip or break the clamp.

Any suggestions welcome.

njloco
03-14-2017, 07:57 PM
I would check all exhaust fasteners to make sure nothing loosened up and allowed them to separate at that point.

d_adams
03-14-2017, 10:30 PM
If it bothers you too much, either red high temp or copper high temp silicone. Allow it to cure/dry for at least 24 hours before running it and it may or may not work. I've seen it on a few stock exhaust systems (late model) that I know had never been off the bike, so they were possibly delivered that way from the factory at one point.

Outlaw
03-15-2017, 09:57 AM
My wife's 09 XB 12ss had that red/copper rtv at the header muffler connection.

pdksh
03-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Ill try the copper heat silicon fix and report back.

pdksh
04-10-2017, 06:01 PM
No exhaust leak. The red/orange high temp silicon seems to have fixed the issue. I have a small popping sound at low RPM, like a small exhaust leak. Not sure if it's an exhaust manifold/header gasket or just noise from the airbox

The 1200 thunderstorm engine makes lots of unusual pops farts and hiccups between 1000rpm and 3000rpm. I'm used to Japanese, Ducati and 1130 Revolution motors . I need a Buell Head to bless my baby and tell me it's all ok