PDA

View Full Version : xb12s ticking

TylerTech
06-02-2009, 07:10 AM
My 04 xb12s is ticking here lately, it does not do it when its cold but once it warm up after about 10 minutes riding it starts to tick its the worst and mid to high rpms but I can hear it at idle. What should I look for first??

tuneport67ss
06-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Sounds like your oil is breaking down when it gets warm. When is the last time you changed your oil? Does it have synthetic in it? Make sure you run 20w50. How many miles are on your bike?

TylerTech
06-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Has nearly 10k miles I just had the oil changed when I had a rear tire put on about a month ago and they used 20w50 yahama semi-synth, I went and got some royal purple 20w50 synthetic tho and plan to change it this weekend in both places just to be sure.

Thanks for the input I will let you know how it turns out.

93LS1rx7
06-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I have the same problem with my 2005 XB12Scg. Let me know if you figure it out....

TylerTech
06-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Well after much running around today I finally got everything I needed to change the oil, the royal purple I had was not the max cycle and I read somewhere that it has additives and is not the best to use in the primary so I took it back and then looked all over and couldn't find any amsoil or rp bike oil and ended up settling on 20w50 Mobile 1 V-twin 4 cycle. Took the bike for a 10 min ride and got it warmed up then got started changing, the oil in both spots was black and like water =/ it also smelled like it has gas in it maybe. After changing it all out I took the bike for a ride and it shifts much smoother now but the tick is still there and it still feels like its hot, also when I stopped and turned the bike off the oil light comes on. Have I likely done some damage?? Also the magnetic tips on the drain plugs had some metal shavings on them, not a good sign I imagine, what should be my next course of action?

Stevenc150
06-04-2009, 03:37 AM
when I stopped and turned the bike off the oil light comes on. Have I likely done some damage?? Also the magnetic tips on the drain plugs had some metal shavings on them, not a good sign I imagine, what should be my next course of action? If you use the Run/Stop Switch to turn the bike off, the oil light comes on since there's no oil being pumped. I use the key and never noticed this till the other day.

Metal shavings on the end of the drain plugs is fine. Metal chunkage is bad, but the shavings are normal.

tuneport67ss
06-04-2009, 04:02 AM
THese motors are going to have a little bit of a tick. That is normal. The only other thing I could think of if the oil change did not help is the bearings in the bottom end are wearing causing low oil preasure. You may be able to fix it with the oild gear up grade. It gives more volume and a little more preasure. Other than that, it is probalby a bottom end rebuild. Remember though some ticking is normal. YOu may check into a valve adjustment too. Keep us updated.

TylerTech
06-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't know I think this is a little more than the normal ticking maybe I'm just being paranoid I will see about getting a sound clip up somewhere of it to let you guys hear it. I gotta find a reasonable shop around here willing to work on it.

tuneport67ss
06-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Where did you say you were located? A sound clip will help if you can get it up.

TylerTech
06-07-2009, 12:21 AM
I am in Cleveland, TN its near Chattanooga in southeast TN. I got a camera borrowed tonight and if all goes well I will put a video clip up tomorrow. Took it for a ride tonight and it didn't do it for about the first 5 mins of ridding or if it did it was so subtle that I couldn't hear it over the wind and motor but after the bike warmed up it was back to ticking seems to do it very bad past 3k rpm.

tuneport67ss
06-07-2009, 04:07 AM
I know exactly where cleveland TN is. I am in Cartersville GA. Maybe when I get my tires on we could hook up som time. Shoot me an email at tuneport67ss@hotmail.com.
When you get the clip up, we maybe able diagnose a little better.