PDA

View Full Version : Guess what happend to the XB12s...

Leathercash
06-24-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm slowly coming up to a red light at which an elderly lady is already awaiting for the go ahead.(same lane as me) The once red light is now green and still she does not advance into movement thus creating a problem for me and my until now, unobstructed path. I go to give the horn a quick, easy tap and BLAH! bike shuts off, SHUTS OFF!.... So I try to perform a standard star-up procedure, nothing. No lights at all were coming on. No indicators. Ended up pushing it eleven blocks to my shop where it sat for a night. The following day I found I had two broken fuses, ignition and my headlights. I replaced those no problem johnny on the spot. I also found that the horn connecting wire had gotten pinched and was stuck. However, I try to start the bike, the actual start button simply clicks with a embarrassing "click" and does nothing else. In order for me start this up I have to have the clutch in and in 1st gear. ALSO while I am riding, anytime my clutch is disengaged(Clutch in) my neutral indicator comes on. I took it in about two weeks ago and after they had her in their possession they explained that there was nothing worth trying to fix, seeing how they the bike at least "starts". Normally this would not other me, only thing is I just bought this bike in March. It's on 04 lightning XB12s it only had 34 total miles on it when I rode it home.(it now has 3234 miles) There is no reason that Harley couldn't have taken the extra time to help a brand new customer. Ugh, so can anyone help me out here? Thanks!

USAbikesrule
06-24-2007, 07:31 AM
There is a recall on many '04 XB12S bikes that involves replacing the horn mounting bolt with a shorter one. The longer bolt will rub through the horn positive wire and short out when you blow the horn. The engine will shut off when this happens. If your bike is affected, the dealership should perform this repair. Recall info is listed below.

The neutral light coming on when you pull the clutch in is most likely caused by the diode being installed incorrectly or replaced by a fuse. The diode is located in the fuse block. If you're viewing it from the left side of the motorcycle, it should be the second from the rear on the right side. It is part of the starter safety circuit. If it is there, pull it out and turn it around. If it is not there, or in the empty slot, install it correctly. There is a chance it can be another problem, but start here.

Check your build date and see if it qualifies for the recall. Here is the info.

Build Dates : 20030623 - 20030827
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V494000
Manufacturer Campaign Number: 0828
Component: COMMUNICATIONS:HORN ASSEMBLY
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 581

Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE WIRE THAT PROVIDES POWER TO THE HORN, DUE TO MISROUTING, CAN BECOME FRAYED FROM CONTACT WITH THE HORN BRACKET MOUNTING BOLT. AS A RESULT, THE HORN WIRE MAY BECOME EXPOSED, AND WHEN THE HORN BUTTON IS PUSHED, EITHER THE HORN CIRCUIT FUSE OR THE KEY SWITCH FUSE CAN BLOW.

Consequence: IF THE KEY SWITCH FUSE BLOWS, THE VEHICLE CAN STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH. IF THE HORN FUSE BLOWS, THERE WILL BE A LOSS OF POWER TO THE HORN AND REAR BRAKE LIGHT.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND CORRECT THE WIRE ROUTING, IF NECESSARY. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON DECEMBER 23, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT BUELL AT 1-414-342-4680.

buellxb
06-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Again, WTF is the deal with all these Harley Davidson dealers not taking care of Buell riders. Did you ask them to fix it for free under warranty or were you willing to pay them to fix it? Either way they should have addressed the problem. Thanks for being on the spot with the Recall info USAbikesrule!

Leathercash
06-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the info USAbikesrule. buellxb, no my bike is under no form of warranty, it is a 2004 and the warranty is long gone. I'd rather take care of the problem myself after the way the dealership swept me off to the side after I signed the papers. Up in till I DID sign the papers though, they acted like my best friend, now they don't give a s***. It's like that almost everywhere though, just sucks.

buellxb
06-25-2007, 02:12 AM
I thought that all Buells had a five year, transferable, unlimited miles warranty??

USAbikesrule
06-25-2007, 03:14 AM
If the problem is due to the recall, it is covered free of charge to you regardless of how many miles or how many years you have owned it. Any damage caused as a result of the recall is also covered. Don't let the dealership BS you on this.

Standard Buell warranty is two years / unlimited mileage. Anything beyond that is ESP.

mrdozer2you
06-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Up in till I DID sign the papers though, they acted like my best friend, now they don't give a s***. It's like that almost everywhere though, just sucks

I own my own "small" business selling paint. Benjamin Moore, PPG, Sikkens, TWP, and Graham. The first thing I learned is that any asshole can put a sign by the road and have customers come in. To build a successful company the trick is, getting people to come back, ie. repeat business. Dealers should be kissing your butt from the time you walk in till the time you leave, period. Regardless of the situation, had the dealer treated you properly you probably would have PAID to have your bike fixed, and if the dealer was doing their job, they would have looked in to it more and discovered the recall.

Best bet, take the recall info back to them. Give them another chance to make it right, but only one. If they still give you a hard time, call the Better Business Bureau, and Buell Corporate.
I say [down][down] on crap service