PDA

View Full Version : Quick Shifter

White SX
05-30-2017, 04:20 PM
Curious where the interrupt switch is plugging into on stock USA bikes. USA bikes don't have the side stand switch so guessing it's not that. Saw Dean Adams just put one on so maybe can get some feedback from him. Does any of the factory race ECM's have the programming for the quick Shifter or is it only specific ones? Hopefully these come available again somehow as would love to put one on, especially the GP pattern.

Silverrider
05-30-2017, 04:55 PM
http://ebutik.nccr.se/ebr-erik-buell-racing-1/ebr-oem-original-parts/ebr-controls/
All you need is a race ECM
Hooks up in 15 min plug and play

White SX
05-30-2017, 06:32 PM
What's it plugging into? Any factory race ECM?

Silverrider
05-30-2017, 07:23 PM
Down by your shifter ,if you look you will see a plug right above your oil filter. there is a plug right by the shifter. It is plug and play. , Any race ECM , EBR, IDS, secondary delete anything other than stock.

1125RBlaster
05-30-2017, 09:33 PM
So, I'll be the dumb guy. What is the purpose of the GP shifter? Is there a button on the bars to do the shifting like the drag guys use or is this something different?

Sorry for the newbie question.

wickedchop
05-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Gp or race shift is just a reverse shift pattern. Its one up five down, its a matter of preference for most novice to even expert guys. I spend most of my free time on the track and i dont use it, just my preference. Also when doing track days it must be displayed on your tank in writing as to what shift pattern you use. In case you go down track personnel can get your machine into neutral to transport back to the pits. Quickshifter allows clutchless wot shifts by killing the ignition or killing fuel delivery momentarily......but you asked what is gp shift.....lol

1125RBlaster
05-31-2017, 12:05 AM
I honestly thought the GP shift was the same as a quickshifter. I guess I got them confused, but how does the quickshift cut the ignition during wot shifts?

Thanks for all the info.

wickedchop
05-31-2017, 12:16 AM
I'm not super educated in quickshifters because I don't have one and I'm sure the guys that own them will chime in, but I believe it kills the power to the plugs momentarily (like milliseconds)

Cooter
05-31-2017, 12:42 AM
If only there was some way to find the answers?? Hmmm.

http://www.buellxb.com/forum/showthread.php?53173-Buell-XB-and-1125-Quickshifter-install-CHEAP-and-EASY

Haha.
Currently the only EBR "kit" has both the quickshifter and changes it to GP style shifting (upside down) and I don't like it either, been riding too long I guess.:cool:
This is because the stock shifter has no linkage to put a push or pull type sensor on. Because the stock EBR shifter splines directly into the trans like an 1125, you'll need the 'linear push' sensor and some brackets I hope to be making soon:up:

I'm also looking into the wiring. The connector that Silver is talking about is the kickstand switch wiring (USA bikes have the wiring, not the switch) I'm unsure if it terminates at the ECM at the right pin. Either way a quick fix. I'll know soon and post on my thread.

White SX
05-31-2017, 12:57 PM
http://ebutik.nccr.se/ebr-erik-buell-racing-1/ebr-oem-original-parts/ebr-controls/
All you need is a race ECM
Hooks up in 15 min plug and play

Nccr doesn't have any factory kits. They are working on making a kit of there own.

d_adams
05-31-2017, 06:24 PM
It can be done with a dynojet interrupt pull/push rod and a couple of other pieces.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/products/QuickShifter/powercommander_quick_shifter.aspx

https://www.preeng.com/xcart/Buell-1125R-GP-Shift-Kit.html

I assume the gp kit can be reversed with a little bit of work.

Cooter
05-31-2017, 06:55 PM
There's really no clearance to un-reverse the reverse. haha. I'll be taking a closer look to do just that and using a push sensor on the shaft or, I'd like to find a compatible shift lever that already has a threaded bung in it and use the same linear push sensor an 1125 uses.

Hey Dean, what terminal did you use for the shifter input? The same tan/white wire goes to the ECM into pin #34 gray plug (ohm'd for continuity). The #3 terminal is already taken by a wire? Green/yellow and I sure don't want to jam a wire in there and randomly ground it!

I wonder if the XB splines are the same? I could use that end of an XB linkage maybe?

d_adams
06-01-2017, 06:27 PM
It's plug-n-play on the 1190 kit that I bought. 3 wire connector, the electronic interrupt plugs right in.
Check the wiring diagram, it's for the sidestand switch.

Cooter
06-01-2017, 09:58 PM
That's so weird. The EBR ECM I have should be set up the same way. I should be able to use that connector (to pin #34 grey plug), but when I ground the tan/white as if a shift event is happening, I get nothing:( I'll keep testing. Thanks for the info Dean, I sure wish I could get that kit!

d_adams
06-01-2017, 10:36 PM
It's a momentary interrupt and will not stay lit/engaged. Red/white is 5 vdc, Black/white is ground, Tan/white is to the ecm, pin 34 as you stated. I *assume* it sends power to pin 34 as an interrupt to kill power elsewhere when under a load. Bench testing, it should show up in the diagnostic page on the dash, the sidestand voltage will change. Yes, this setup is *very* nicely made and functions perfectly. Only downside so far, I've already stretched the crap out of my brand new (less than 125 miles on it) DID zvmx 520 chain. Yes, full power upshifts will do that, especially if you're pushing out more hp than it did stock.

Cooter
06-02-2017, 05:19 AM
Sends "power" to pin #34? You're right about the kickstand plug wiring, does your quick shifter use all 3? It's a ground signal on the DDFI-3 on XB's and 1125's.
Maybe thats my testing issue? It might not work idling in neutral, duh. I'll check.

I've heard that about the chains and frankly astonished they come with a 520 and not a 530. Heck my 1986 1000R Ninja had a 530 on it! Besides the cush drive front sprocket, I'd love to see a bigger chain option. 185HP stock....

My successful quick shifter install on the STT is whats driving this, and you are totally right Dean. Makes for a seriously fun ride:)

d_adams
06-02-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm just guessing on the wiring as far as function goes. I'll ask to verify operation later today if I get time.