PDA

View Full Version : Short post to say hi

Graeme1203
06-05-2017, 10:52 PM
Hi, quick post to say hi !
Long time Buell owner (nearly 20 years now) and short time XB owner from Suffolk in the UK. Been looking for a way of increasing my saddle time and decided a Ulysses was the way to go. Last week I picked up a 2009 XB12XT with less than 5K miles on the clock. The bike is totally standard apart from a Remus exhaust (will probably keep it this way) and was just in need of a bit of attention after having been forgotten about. Got to say, I'm really enjoying the comfort and the handlings a revelation after my tuber, I've already clocked up more miles in the last few days than I average in a month on the M2.

Tankster
06-09-2017, 12:13 AM
Hey! I'm new to buells and picking up an 09 Xb12xt this weekend. I can't wait to get it.

njloco
06-09-2017, 01:19 AM
Welcome to both of you, I'm sure your going to enjoy your buells.

Silverrider
06-09-2017, 02:32 AM
Welcome!!:applause:

Graeme1203
06-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Good luck with the XT Tankster, took me a couple of ride outs to be comfortable with not getting my feet flat on the floor at junctions. All good now :eagerness:

Tankster
06-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Thanks! Yeah I figure I'll need some time to adjust coming from a honda Cb500x. Does it sound as good in person as the videos?

Graeme1203
06-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Just take it easy until you're comfortable, it's a bit of a lump to move about the garage, but the weight disappears on the move. This bike is easy to ride both quickly and smoothly. Enjoy.
Sound? I'm currently running a Remus with the baffles out, so the answer is.......yes

Tankster
06-18-2017, 06:12 AM
I've noticed backing into my spot is a bit of effort but the handling is something else. Granted I've only ridden the Honda Cb500x and the msf training bikes but it feels like I'm connected to the bike. Is it normal to be feathering the clutch until I hit about 25-30kph? It just seems a bit jerky if I only use throttle at lower speeds. The stock exhaust sounds really good especially once you hit about 4K rpm but I'm starting to look at aftermarket too.

Graeme1203
06-18-2017, 12:14 PM
Hi, handling? Plush and surefooted is the way I would describe it.
Jerkiness? Mines smooth, not experienced enough with XB's to troubleshoot for this. I can say that as a 09 you will not need to do a TPS reset and worse case scenario-check the ecm for contact with the seat (bad habit of breaking the grey connector on the ecm - not repairable I believe, I have relocated my ecm already to prevent this). Good luck, enjoy

user_deleted
06-18-2017, 02:44 PM
Is it normal to be feathering the clutch until I hit about 25-30kph? It just seems a bit jerky if I only use throttle at lower speeds.

completely abnormal. XB's have smooth fueling and throttle delivery when all is well. your 2009 probably needs a "tune" to include tps reset(done manually on 08 and later via owners manual and throttle twist grip procedure), spark plugs replaced with NGK DCPR9EIX which are iridium and enhance rideability, a dedicated ground wire from rear-most coil hex cap bolt fastener to negative battery cable frame grounding point. also the installation of a generic "race map" enhances rideability, performance and cooler running temps.

Silverrider
06-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Is it normal to be feathering the clutch until I hit about 25-30kph? It just seems a bit jerky if I only use throttle at lower speeds.

completely abnormal. XB's have smooth fueling and throttle delivery when all is well. your 2009 probably needs a "tune" to include tps reset(done manually on 08 and later via owners manual and throttle twist grip procedure), spark plugs replaced with NGK DCPR9EIX which are iridium and enhance rideability, a dedicated ground wire from rear-most coil hex cap bolt fastener to negative battery cable frame grounding point. also the installation of a generic "race map" enhances rideability, performance and cooler running temps.

Completely abnormal. ^^^^^^^^^^ What is your gearing ? stock ? or super tall ?

Tankster
06-18-2017, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the advice! I did the tps reset already and purchased the service manual so I can learn to wrench it myself. It only has 13k km on it but I guess I'll do the plugs next. Would the tps reset make a big difference if the bike was moved to a different geographic location with different elevation and environment?

Now I'm sorry for my ignorance and if you could point me to a more detailed thread, where is the rear most cool hex cap bolt fastener? I'll do that next weekend too if it's not too difficult.

Tankster
06-18-2017, 03:51 PM
Completely abnormal. ^^^^^^^^^^ What is your gearing ? stock ? or super tall ?

Afaik it's stock. I just bought it off the original owner that only seemed to do aesthetic mods. I don't think he did the ecm reflash after the comfort it install

Tankster
06-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Yeah the handling is so intuitive it's really amazing. I feel like I only need to think about where I want to go and it just goes. And I can't feel the weight either, seriously amazing engineering.

user_deleted
06-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Would the tps reset make a big difference if the bike was moved to a different geographic location with different elevation and environment? no

comfort kit consists of scoops, insulation pieces, heat defusers, shields. has no bearing whatsoever on an "ecm reflash". one not related to the other.

remove airbox cover, airbox inner lid after removing frame/tank vent line from frame vent valve, remove filter, remove airbox base plate AFTER unplugging the IAT sensor. USE CAUTION as the sensor is a tad fragile. that reveals top of motor and coil pack. coil pack held to bracket by 2 hex cap bolts. remove the rear most and run a dedicated ground wire from that bolt to the negative battery cable terminal at FRAME grounding point. helps with low speed rideability and "stutter" that most 1203 models have.

Tankster
06-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Damn buddy thanks!! Thanks for all the great answers. I got a bit of work to do :D

Graeme1203
06-18-2017, 09:10 PM
There you go, every days a school day, I thought the style of TPS on the 09s reset themselves on every stroke, bought an 09 partly because of this.