PDA

View Full Version : Polishing rear pulley

Midnight82
06-03-2009, 09:45 PM
I know I've seen the post somewhere about taking the trusty Dremel to the rear sprocket to polish the lip.

I'm probably going to tackle that beast this week.

Anyone know of any tips/tricks before I dive head first into it?

onelogue
06-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Hey man I just did mine two day ago. With the help of my friend we raised the bike off the ground. I started the bike and put it in first gear to let the tire spin freely. My friend tool a dremel with a little sanding wheel and he held it to edge of the sproket making sure not to touch the belt. took seriously three minutes and it came out real even.
Other people have used a sanding block but if you have some sort of dremel handy USE IT!!

Midnight82
06-04-2009, 12:14 AM
I have a Dremel for shizzle. I just am worried about that belt.

I'll post pics as I do this bad boy though.

onelogue
06-04-2009, 01:06 AM
I was worried too but if you look at it closely you will see that the pulley sprocket sticks out past the belt a bit. Just take your time and make sure the bike is held steady. Use a small 1 inch sanding wheel. You will notice it turning silver right away. Once it is all polished STOP!

ridendude
06-04-2009, 02:42 AM
I had my belt off already, so I used my orbital palm sander with 3 different grits. 80, 120, and 220. Turned out really well.
Cheers :D

Trill
06-04-2009, 02:53 AM
to get it the best quality, take the sprocket off and put it on a flat surface with some sandpaper.. I used 2 sanding drums on my dremel and could use some more work.

onelogue
06-04-2009, 05:30 AM
K for those who want a quick job that looks good my idea works haha. I just don't think that small of suface area needs to be polished that much cause mine is really shiny just from the sanding wheel.