PDA

View Full Version : Heat Insulative Wrap for Electrical cable above Cylinder Heads?

cknapp
06-16-2017, 11:52 AM
deleted

user_deleted
06-16-2017, 12:00 PM
question: you doing this to source power and ground from the battery for this gps? if so not necessary. those can easily be sourced in the headlight bucket area by removing the wind screen. i do not know of any wire heat wrap though surely some board member does.

cknapp
06-16-2017, 12:53 PM
Yes it's to wire it to the battery as a power source. It says it requires 2A, will I risk burning out whatever wires I splice it into in the headlight area?

user_deleted
06-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Yes it's to wire it to the battery as a power source. It says it requires 2A, will I risk burning out whatever wires I splice it into in the headlight area?
no....not at all. here's how i do it and works like a charm. by the way your gps requires only approx. 20 watts which is a miniscule amount of power to run it.
1-after removing 4 allens that hold the factory wind screen in place you can now access the headlight bucket wiring looms and plugs. find the headlight plug and disconnect. you can make your connections either onto the harness section or the headlight loom section...makes no difference.
2-your headlight harness has following 4 wires: white/yellow/black/orange.
white=high beam
yellow=low beam
black=ground/negative
orange=12 volt positive
3-take a razor and slightly nick the plastic insulation of the orange wire for your positive source...make attachment...and cover with electrical tape. BE CAREFUL not to cut thru the wire. be tender making the small nick.
do the same with the black wire for your negative connection OR using a simple test light attach the light end to a positive source and use the other end of test light to find a suitable ground inside the headlight bucket. light will illuminate when you've found the ground. any of the headlight bucket attachment hardware screws are all grounded.
NOTE: for your positive feed connection if you're not comfortable nicking the orange wire you can take your gps positive wire and feed it into the orange wire terminal of the headlight plug and secure it with electrical tape but i like the "nick" method better. also some XB's have a dark brown colored blank female plug end flopping around inside the bucket area....some do and some don't. if yours has this plug use a test light with key and red run switch both set to ON position then check the plug and see if it has current. if so use that.

cknapp
06-16-2017, 02:44 PM
I will check that out. I did the wire switch (orange and white I believe??) to get both bulbs on with the high beam toggle. That will not interfere with this correct?

user_deleted
06-16-2017, 04:04 PM
^^^^^ correct