PDA

View Full Version : xb12ss engine died and won't start

xbjensen
06-06-2009, 04:19 AM
I have an 08 XB 12ss that I washed and then took for a 16 mile ride to a restaraunt. Everything was working just fine when I stopped, parked, and shut it off. I restarted it to move to a different parking spot after about 3 minutes from the time I shut it off. It started up just fine then it bogged at an idle and died. I attempted to restart it right away and it would fire but quickly die, again and again this happened. I noticed that the fuel pump wasn't making the usual buzzing sound it makes right after the key is turned on...leading me to believe that the fuel pump suddenly went out. I fiddled around with it until the battery went dead. Had to call and trailer it home. Anyone else had this issue?? I thought maybe something got wet from washing it, but like I said, it was 16 miles to the spot where this happened giving it a lot of air to dry everything out, and it worked fine all the way there...any help would be appreciated. Thanks

xbjensen
06-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Forgot to mention that I checked all fuses and they seem to be fine. I'm thinking bad fuel pump at this point, anyone else??

tuneport67ss
06-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Sounds like the pump to me. From what Ive been reading on here the pump is mostlikely covered under warrenty. Its some kind of emissions warrenty that is 5 yrs. Check it out at your dealer. [sad]

xbjensen
06-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the input..I will sure check it out

Buell_Cru
06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Have you checked your plugs? May have fouled a plug and it's only firing on one cylinder and then dies.

Just a thought.

xbjensen
06-07-2009, 01:03 AM
That could be a possibility as well. Taking it to the dealership tommorow...sounds like they warranty pretty much everything for 2 full years the service guy told me on the phone. Thanks a lot for your input man!

Blastamon
07-19-2009, 08:47 PM
I have an 07 xb12scg, and this EXACT same thing happened to my bike yesterday. I washed it and drove it down the freeway for about 10 minutes to dry it all off. I was doing about 60 and the engine just puttered out and died. I noticed as well that the fuel pump wasnt buzzing when I tried to start. All the little lights and stuff work so I think all the connections are fine. Did you ever find out what the problem was?

LeFox
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
check contact lower mass connection, near front sprocket...

xbss07
07-19-2009, 10:29 PM
check the fuel pump fuse may have shorted out.

AZSpar10
07-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Okay, this just happened to me as well - I have an 07 xb12scg, and this EXACT same thing happened to my bike yesterday.

I washed it, drove it down the road for about 10 minutes to dry it all off. I was stopped at a light and engine just puttered out and died.

I get NO check light when I turn it on - it will try and turn over but nothing. No fuel pump buzzing when I try to start. No oil light. I've checked the battery and fuses - all good to go!

Any help!

Dave A
07-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Sounds like hwy speed air is blowing some water into areas that it does'nt belong. I know what I'm not going to do. I usually towell dry and then ride to get the last bit of moisture off my bike.

Iamarchangel
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Despite the add-ons saying they have the EXACT same thing, they don't.

Original post washed, drove, PARKED: bike would not start properly. There's a number of possible issues, it's at the shop last we heard.

Blastamon washed, DROVE: bike quit. Little lights work.

AZSpar10 washed, drove, STOPPED: bike sputtered and died. Little lights don't work.

Unless you're power washing, I would suggest everybody washes and rides and not everybody has their pump quit.

Three different scenarios.