PDA

View Full Version : Wild ideas come to mind!!

BuellyBagger
11-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Thought the forum could use another "WHAT IF" thread to lift our spirits!! A friend of mine is planning a cycle trip from here in Nebraska to the North coat of alaska for the summer of 2019. So, he and I have been discussing the best bike for the job. Obviously he's wanting to do it on a touring dual sport. KTM, triumph, BMW, Ducati have all crossed his radar. I suggested (because im weird) that he buy a low miles ulysses and have at! Guy's a Harley guy and loves my Uly but was unconvinced, as he'd rather have a NEW bike. So i got to thinking! Since EBR never built a 1190 "AX" could it be done? how hard could be right? Would it be best to source Ulysses parts to basically lift kit a 1190sx or one off custom suspension and wheels? Custom tail section? retro fit more Ulysses parts or rob from other top notch dual sports? If i had the money I'd build one! A lightly used 1190 can be had for around 7k pretty easily and Ulysses's go as low as 3k nowadays. So all said and done one should land way short of 1290 KTM Adventure's 17k ish price tag, right? Thoughts? Comments? Renderings?

I know its easier to just buy a new bike or ride a ULY but WHAT IF!?!?!?

http://immagini.insella.it/sites/default/files/news_anteprima/2014/11/ebr_1190ax_01.jpg

Cooter
11-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Oh I like that bike, and what a fantastic trip! Thats a combo of a whole bunch of choices of roads and accomodations. Will he be camping, hoteling, or a combo of both?

The windscreen, panniers, and guards could be done easily. The slightly harder stuff would be footpegs, seat angle, and suspension.

EBR was messing with rear air suspension, but thats a bit much for a one-off. The spring rate would be fine for one person and a reasonable amount of stuff, backing off the settings might make it soft enough to be livable with the weight on it, and you could get some height with a simple bracket. The front would be a little harder but also could hold surprises. Maybe all it needs is longer fork tubes? Maybe Uly forks fit? Maybe Uly triples and forks fit? The way Buell/EBR builds bikes I bet they do!

Honestly you could do that trip on a Grom if you had the taint for it, what kind of guy is you buddy? Is he used to dealer service with free coffee and popcorn? Or is he ok to touch a wrench without whining? If he's gonna build a bike for this trip he better put some miles on it first!

user_deleted
11-01-2017, 12:49 PM
2012 and later V-Strom 1000 adventure. priced right...one of THE great motors of all-time...runs on 87 octane fuel...incredibly comfortable ergonomics....smoothest shifting trans in motorcycling history....low to mid 50's mpg....well designed rugged factory luggage...oem suspension very tune-able and compliant. with a set of modified factory cans or aftermarket jobs and dealer updated/reflashed ecm the 1000 V-strom matches the performance of any other dual sport twin on the market.

wickedchop
11-01-2017, 02:01 PM
2012 and later V-Strom 1000 adventure. priced right...one of THE great motors of all-time...runs on 87 octane fuel...incredibly comfortable ergonomics....smoothest shifting trans in motorcycling history....low to mid 50's mpg....well designed rugged factory luggage...oem suspension very tune-able and compliant. with a set of modified factory cans or aftermarket jobs and dealer updated/reflashed ecm the 1000 V-strom matches the performance of any other dual sport twin on the market.

I can vouch for the suzooks vtwin platform. It cannot be destroyed, it is absolutely bulletproof! I own one that is nearly 20 yrs old and I beat the living daylights out of it and it just keeps taking it. Hands down one of the toughest motors I've ever seen.

njloco
11-01-2017, 03:02 PM
I would do it in a heart beat on my Ully, of course I would change the tires someplace along the way and do a bunch of stuff prior to leaving the east coast. My Triumph explorer would do it easily but who needs all that HP and weight !

GregoXB
11-01-2017, 03:16 PM
The whole seat would have to be changed to accommodate 2 up comfortably....

BuellyBagger
11-01-2017, 03:50 PM
what kind of guy is you buddy?

He runs a tow company and he personally drives a huge truck, does 18 wheeler recovery and towing. Ironic that a body guy is friends with a tow truck driver right! He's a harley rider that doesnt mind spending money, currently on a 2017 Road Glide Ultra with a Stage4 114ci. kit that will run close to my uly in the straights. Started on dirt bikes though so he's not a complete wuss :p

Will he be camping, hoteling, or a combo of both?
hoteling so basically hauling cloths and some tools, also planning on stopping somewhere up north to convert to more aggressive tires

hadn't thought much about japanese stuff honestly and neither had he. I just assumed they're weren't going to offer quite the snappy torque and performance as a KTM 1290 or 1200 bmw, but i will suggest it. At least for reliability!

The whole seat would have to be changed to accommodate 2 up comfortably....
I know the Uly seat is great for 2up, something along those lines would be needed for sure.

My buddy actually asked me along for this trip and i suggested doing it 2up (to keep my wife happy). But I can't drop that kind of money on a trip without taking my wife and kids in good conscience. So i figure i can help him plan and live vicariously!

BuellyBagger
11-02-2017, 12:09 PM
So anyone going to tackle building an AX? lol Its completely unrealistic for me and my friend to build one for his trip obviously, but i think the bike is doable.

What do we need to measure to see if ulysses parts will work? Cooter and silverider both have sx's and Ive got a Ulysses. Maybe we could "virtually build one? or at least see if its possible

user_deleted
11-02-2017, 02:27 PM
cody: seriously take a look at the v-strom. bought my 2012 adventure 1000 may of 2016 and loved it so much bought another 650 vstrom adventur for day tripping. i'm 64....have owned at least 500 assorted bikes starting age 10. can't think of a style or brand i've never owned with exception of pizza bikes which i loathe. had always thought my bmw r1200rt was the finest all around bike i ever owned till the 2012 vstrom 1000 adventure purchase came along. IMHO no other production bike does so many things so incredibly well and so ridiculously easy. it IS that good.

Cooter
11-02-2017, 10:26 PM
I haven't ridden the V-strom, but a serious biker friend of mine who I respect loves his to death! Normally he leads a pack of guys up Hwy 2 on his R-1 and logs 20K a year. He is sold on the little 650! He says the same thing Lunatic does. It just does everything so well.

I with you Buelly, We could virtually build it: Lets see if the steering neck bearings are the same part number. That would mean the odds of the whole triple and forks from a Uly would probably bolt on, taking care of the travel up front, Shock measurements on the rear could help too. I have a brand new shock for the STT at home (SS/ Uly length) so i could compare those 2 and I figure the weight is close enough.

Next.... Seat(s?) bags?

BuellyBagger
11-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Next.... Seat(s?) bags?

You've got stt right? How far off is the rear subframe width etc. Between the2? If a long/uly rear sub could be adapted bags and seat are practically done!

oh and the wheelbase? Can't have that long ulysses tail hanging off the back is the SX wheelbase is too short. That'd ride squirly!! and look dumb of course

BuellyBagger
11-03-2017, 12:01 PM
1190 wheelbase |55.5 in and......... the uly is 54 so we're good!!!

optomist
11-03-2017, 08:03 PM
All,

As to V-Stroms--I purchased a brand new one back in 2013 or so. Awesome bike in all ways except one and why I got rid of it after 500 miles.
To all of you who do not know what tinnitus is well count your blessings. The V-strom totally blew out my ears and re-activated my tinnitus--all in the first 100 miles.

I tried various fixes, different windscreen including a Marsden(?) all to no avail. Really bad airflow around that front fairing. I had a V-rod for awhile with zero fairing and no problem with the ugly T.

Get someone to alternately slap your ears with an open palm for a few cycles and you will get the tinnitus effect, produced by the V-Strom.

Cost me a bundle to get out from that bike and I went for a VFR next which was fine in that department.

------------------------------

As far as driving to Prudhoe bay goes. 44Maagnum at least. Problem is you cannot take it along with you in Canada--So for a big chunk of the journey you will no longer be an apex predator but just a snack. Moose and elk are quite mean also. Go with at least two people

user_deleted
11-03-2017, 10:24 PM
^^^^ that's what an 8 pack of dollar general store foamy ear plugs are for. i'm 64...have logged approx. 10,000 miles to date on my 2 stroms and my hearing remains pristine.

Cooter
11-03-2017, 10:37 PM
Bags would be easy if you're ok with soft bags. I have a good universal set I use for my long trips and I haven't even expanded them. I pack really light though.

A Uly seat and pan might be worth a shot?

Hey Opto! Still going 100mph everywhere? haha:)

BuellyBagger
11-04-2017, 02:17 AM
I'm not worried about noise or wind opto...8584lol

BuellyBagger
11-04-2017, 02:20 AM
Honestly if i were able to take this trip with my bud I'd be looking very hard at this bike https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2014-suzuki-strom-1000-abs/6366239655.html

Or another Ulysses.

BuellyBagger
11-04-2017, 04:55 PM
Here's An odd pair. Lol.... 8591
So my bud has narrowed his choices down to the ktm 1290 adventure and the ducati multistrada enduro. Since money is no object to him he's leaning ducati. I have been strongly trying to steer him away from ducati. The ktm is nearly 5k cheaper 10 more hp and lighter! So he's resolved to waiting for a warm weekend and we're going to both go ride both. Dunno how we're going to talk the salesman into cutting us loose at the same time though lol!

optomist
11-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Lunatic,

Well maybe you have tougher ears then me. Of course I wear earplugs -- jeez---don't go off thinking we are all stupid--also purchased a Schubert helmet(the quietest) did what I could. I spent years on tugs and in other noisy environments and my ears took a beating.

After getting rid of the V-Strom, and with the help of Gingko Biloba my tinnitus slowly faded away. Differential air pressure is the main culprit. My Ulysses has a very noisy Drummond but that frequency does not effect me.

My Hearing is pretty good but inner ear ringing is tinnitus and it sucks. Fortunately, my ears like the 1190RX and the Uly so the tinnitus is not an issue these days.

Yes Coot, still ripping along -- probably good we didn't have the EBRs on that trip :) !! You probably should get some larger bags to carry around some tools and wheel bearings

user_deleted
11-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Lunatic,

Well maybe you have tougher ears then me. Of course I wear earplugs -- jeez---don't go off thinking we are all stupid--also purchased a Schubert helmet(the quietest) did what I could. I spent years on tugs and in other noisy environments and my ears took a beating.

wow! never meant to even suggest i was questioning your intelligence or infer that mine is superior to anyones'....yours included.

Cooter
11-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Hey Opto, I was in a Fastenal the other day and you'll NEVER guess what sealed bearings they carry on the shelf.... all of them:angel:. 6003-2RS, 6005-2RS, I think the idler and steering neck bearings were there too. Derrrrrrrrrrr....

njloco
11-04-2017, 11:54 PM
Isn't KTM having all kinds of problems, I just googled it, I wouldn't buy one !

TPEHAK
11-05-2017, 12:03 AM
European motorcycles are less reliable even than American motorcycles, so I would not buy KTM either.

optomist
11-05-2017, 12:53 AM
Lunatic,

Sorry is all mine, feeling a little touchy today. BTW I invested heavily in custom molded earplugs that didn't work any better then the foam ones.

The whole tinnitus issue is something that no one understands until you are afflicted. For sure the dealer didn't show me any sympathy when I traded back in for the '08 VFR. (new in 2013)
I had a similar experience back in around 2001 when I traded my faithful VTR V-twin (80,000 km, never missed a beat) in on a naked 4 banger Suzuki. That produced the first tinnitus bout so that time traded for an old gear cam VFR --awesome bike, all dialed in but the noisy bevel gears made the tinnitus even worse, traded that back in for another VTR and everything settled down in the ear dept.

Sorry to bore you with ear tales but I have seen people literally go near crazy because of it. Can't sleep etc. I know it exists bigly in the motor bike community

Cooter came up with some white silicon earplugs from the drugstore that look even better. I am going to try them soon.

On those bearings, Coot, sort of live and learn -- that is a good thing--living/learning

BuellyBagger
11-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Isn't KTM having all kinds of problems, I just googled it, I wouldn't buy one !

****e didn't know that. Have just been looking at specs. I'll check it out.

GregoXB
11-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Hey Opto, I was in a Fastenal the other day and you'll NEVER guess what sealed bearings they carry on the shelf.... all of them:angel:. 6003-2RS, 6005-2RS, I think the idler and steering neck bearings were there too. Derrrrrrrrrrr....

Fcken eh did not know that... I need to replace my wheel bearings and I was dreading getting Chinese parts. Fastenal carries Koyo and FAG.... I'll have to take a walk to the Fastenal down the block.... Thank you.

Cooter
11-05-2017, 10:23 PM
It's my whole hearted opinion that every Buell tool bag should have wheel bearings in it. Even if you don't feel capable of replacing them like I did roadside, having them is half the battle. When they go, they go catastrophically.

Silverrider
11-05-2017, 10:45 PM
I just changed 3 of them yesterday in my rear wheel, Should not have to worry for a long time. :up:

I would NOT want to ever change them on the road side.

Cooter
11-05-2017, 10:57 PM
You're right.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4374/36896027965_8ca8aa172c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YdnMFc)IMG_1290 (https://flic.kr/p/YdnMFc) by Cooter! (https://www.flickr.com/photos/77190879@N05/), on Flickr

Silverrider
11-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Without the right tool getting them out is a PITA !!! Even with the right tools could be a PITA!!!

Chicknstripn
11-06-2017, 12:03 AM
You're right.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4374/36896027965_8ca8aa172c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/YdnMFc)IMG_1290 (https://flic.kr/p/YdnMFc) by Cooter! (https://www.flickr.com/photos/77190879@N05/), on Flickr

That Buell looks like a tuber with an xb front forks and rim?
Am I right?

I would not go with Ducati or KTM for a long trip. If it's a brand new bike under warrenty, it's too hard to find reliable dealer service.
Something as simple as an oil change could void your warrenty on one of those uppidy brands.

That's just my 2cents.

Cooter
11-06-2017, 02:37 AM
It is! Good call Chicken.
A good friend bought it brand new near Sturgis and has since put a 1250 kit, good carb, 6-speed, XB bits, and over 50k miles on it. I rode it over 2000 miles on one trip and it was quite the eye opener for awesome performance, great comfort (up to 500 miles a day), reliability (except the "new" bearings), and fun, fun, FUN!!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4585/24351294158_562eb7a8ab_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/D6QKnh)IMG_1228 (https://flic.kr/p/D6QKnh) by Cooter! (https://www.flickr.com/photos/77190879@N05/), on Flickr

BuellyBagger
11-06-2017, 11:52 AM
I would not go with Ducati or KTM for a long trip. If it's a brand new bike under warrenty, it's too hard to find reliable dealer service.
Something as simple as an oil change could void your warrenty on one of those uppidy brands.

That's just my 2cents. I agree actually. I am really trying to get him on a Ulysses. Easy to work on and relatively few electronics. Sportster based engine. The plan is already to hit up as many harley dealers along the way as possible. Carry an extra drive belt and evidently wheel bearings ;). And a really nice bike can be had for less than 5k! He's written off Japanese bike because of peer pressure (not from me). That Vstrom is a damn good bike for the money it seems though. I found one 30 miles from me yesterday a 2006 looked clean had 42000 miles on it only $2500. thats KLR 650 money for a 1000 twin!

Tbone
11-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Guy in Dallas who works on my shocks, had a brand new 2017 KTM 1290 adventure drop a valve at 600 miles while touring around Texas.
Also just remembered another guy who I have done a couple of trips with on a brand new 2017 Tiger had an issue with the computer.

njloco
11-06-2017, 10:55 PM
What year Tiger ? I have a 2013 Explorer (1215cc) they're usually pretty bomb proof but, nothing is perfect.

Cooter
11-07-2017, 02:56 AM
So true nj. You can't damn an entire brand for issues with one bike. I know a guy sworn off Chevys because his dad had problems with his Chevy. In 1959:confused:

But this is truly the question of the times:

Over-engineered whiz-bang gadgets now-a-days have performance and features from electrons. You can't fix electrons by yourself when you're in Alaska with a bear breathing down your neck.
They should be more dependable, and honestly they usually are. They also offer things we could never have old skool, safety and performance figures that are unreal. Like comfort and sport ride modes, ABS, traction control, and a whole list of acronyms that can be fun and are usually safer. The problem is when things go awry, you better have a Phd and a warranty. Last I checked Mr Murphy and his law, is alive and well.

If you get your suck, squeeze, bang, blow from old skool dinosaur bones and nailed together (...crafted:D) in a shack in Wisconsin, then you can fix it with a modicum of basic knowledge, a hammer, and a beer can. It might break down more often, but you'll always get home without a tow truck. Your ride mode is putting sheepskin on the seat, your traction control is in your right wrist, and your ABS is in your carefully calibrated fingers that were tuned by you, and not some guy named Klauss crunching numbers in a white office with no windows.

Chicknstripn
11-07-2017, 03:23 AM
So true nj. You can't damn an entire brand for issues with one bike. I know a guy sworn off Chevys because his dad had problems with his Chevy. In 1959

BC if this was the case; NONE OF US WOULD BE HERE.

Tbone
11-07-2017, 06:21 PM
What year Tiger ? I have a 2013 Explorer (1215cc) they're usually pretty bomb proof but, nothing is perfect.

The guy on the 2017 Tiger blew the motor on his 2013 Tiger Under extended warranty. He thinks he dropped a valve or valves stuck? Here are the pics:

This happened this year and afterward he received his 2017 Triumph Tiger which had a computer failure. Personally I do not want a computer to control my suspension, clutch, brakes, traction, throttle, etc... I do not think they are safe especially when there is a failure. My opinion is a well maintained and tuned motorcycle is the safest way to go and will get you out of more risky situations than a highly computer controlled motorcycle ever will.

njloco
11-08-2017, 01:09 AM
That's exactly what happened to my 2013 engine, I now have a new engine and trans which, come as a single unit. I agree with you, simple is better !

Tbone
11-08-2017, 04:15 PM
That's exactly what happened to my 2013 engine, I now have a new engine and trans which, come as a single unit. I agree with you, simple is better !

The guy who owns this bike is probably one of the best riders you could ever meet, and I have ridden with him on a couple of occasions in Arkansas. He has been riding for 40+ years and is a legend in the group we ride with. What happened to him on his 2017 Tiger Explorer was much worse than this engine failure on his 2013, nearly fatal for rider and catastrophic to the Tiger. His protege who also traded his 2013 Tiger for a 2017, and now is returning it to the dealer as well as his BMW GSA 1200 and giving up on riding all together. Can't say more as there is ongoing activity with this, but I will personally continue to own motorcycles that does not have a high level of computer control.

TPEHAK
11-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Even Buell has computer control.

njloco
11-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Yes but, I think he's referring to ABS, Traction control, cruise control, throttle by wire, etc.

Cooter
11-09-2017, 12:42 AM
Not every advancement is bad. Fred Flintstone finally traded up to rubber tires. There have been good technological advancements since we were chucking rocks at a T-rex. :upset:

I'm not talking about comfort or efficiency. Advancements like fuel injection aren't intrusive. I don't want to be the car right behind the one that fully brakes without driver input (and leaves 400 yards to the obstacle:upset:) BANG. Wake up in the ER, again. And it's probably my "fault".

I want... I NEED... it to be predictable and do exactly what I tell it too. If you are trusting the ECM to save your life, what happens when the human who programmed it isn't perfect? It will be a generation of riders who only know how to pin the throttle, mash the brake lever, and ride way above their skillset until that inevitable day when something in this big bad world does something the program doesn't expect.

Of course good advanced ABS/ traction control is better than me, better than you, but for those specific things only and totally not the point. What if I need to unexpectedly slide it a bit and I am denied by the program?? Taking that control away from me is what I fear.

BuellyBagger
11-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Moto Gp bikes, high class race/supercars, Military aircraft are all near uncontrollable without their "driver, rider, or pilot assist" computers. Most tech. advancements, race or military, eventually make the way to the main stream market. Cars are more safe than they were and bikes are too (technically). Sure its better to know how to drive it without the help, but it makes it safer for those who can't and those they might crash into. TOTALLY agree that is breeding stupidity, but whateryagonnadoabotit?

Tbone
11-10-2017, 03:38 PM
For street consumer use I agree that statistically ABS saves lives, but does traction control? Not so sure.
Does a computer controlled suspension, does it save lives? Would really like to research and find the statistics.

BuellyBagger
11-10-2017, 03:56 PM
For street consumer use I agree that statistically ABS saves lives, but does traction control? Not so sure.
Does a computer controlled suspension, does it save lives? Would really like to research and find the statistics.

I'll surely agree comp. controlled suspension does not add any safety! Neither does the stupid multiple ride modes like "urban, tour, and race" The diavel we had here @ work for a while had that BS and in Urban it dropped like 50hp? and the traction control was super strong. If a guy got used to that and switched er to race it'd be down right dangerous! Automotive stability control i believe at least prevents crashes, might actually promote fatal accidents though as people tend to think they can drive much faster in poor weather conditions than they really should. When they do finally out do the stability control its a very bad wreck! Actually fixed a "platinum package" 2016 escalade, that stickered for 90k or so. the driver thought he could do 95 in the pouring rain, pulling a trailer, until the sway control and the stability control couldn't compensate any longer. He got lucky with only 20k in damage!

Cooter
11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
"Automotive stability control i believe at least prevents crashes, might actually promote fatal accidents though as people tend to think they can drive much faster in poor weather conditions than they really should. When they do finally out do the stability control its a very bad wreck!"

That is exactly how I feel about it:upset:

A rider/driver who depends on traction control or ABS intervening to save them, may get away with playing above their skill level, but if the programming doesn't work perfectly for every conceivable set of parameters in the whole world every single time, it's gonna bite.

It may be extreme but I feel the same about 'ride control' too. Purposely changing how the same bike rides and handles day to day? Unless you're just gonna sit on the seat and putter down the highway in nice weather (some do.) I couldn't adapt that fast.

Chicknstripn
11-10-2017, 05:26 PM
If I was planning a trip to Alaska, I'd go one of two routes:
1. I'd find a well taken care of F800 BMW(I think that's their entry level dual sport)
Or
2. I'd find a nice KLR, DR or XR single dualsport!

I'd stick to as many fire roads as possible and have an epic trip!
Unless you have support vehicles in tow I think a massive 1200 adventure bike is total over kill. If you need help biking up your bike, it's too much bike! And last thing you want is issues finding parts if and when you do break something.

A friend of mine road from California to Argentina on an 86 BMW R90(think I got that model right). He only had one issue with his bike the entire trip(starter) and it was one he knew he'd have to deal with, so he was prepared for it. Biggest mod he made to his bike was upgrading the suspension front and rear to handle his gear and the terrain.

Also, I'd pack as light as possible!

BuellyBagger
11-11-2017, 12:03 PM
If I was planning a trip to Alaska, I'd go one of two routes:
1. I'd find a well taken care of F800 BMW(I think that's their entry level dual sport)
Or
2. I'd find a nice KLR, DR or XR single dualsport!

I'd stick to as many fire roads as possible and have an epic trip!
Unless you have support vehicles in tow I think a massive 1200 adventure bike is total over kill. If you need help biking up your bike, it's too much bike! And last thing you want is issues finding parts if and when you do break something.

A friend of mine road from California to Argentina on an 86 BMW R90(think I got that model right). He only had one issue with his bike the entire trip(starter) and it was one he knew he'd have to deal with, so he was prepared for it. Biggest mod he made to his bike was upgrading the suspension front and rear to handle his gear and the terrain.

Also, I'd pack as light as possible!

I think that's good advice. I've been looking at this bike
https://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2008-klr-650-endure/6364806669.html

for me even though I won't be taking the trip with my friend I'd like to get into a little dual sport stuff. And I'm not willing to trash my Ulysses. Convincing my friend he doesn't need a 500lb+ 150 horse monster will be difficult

njloco
11-11-2017, 05:56 PM
That would be a great bike to do an Alaska trip however, of your not going, I would look for 250 to 400cc bike but, I'll add one thing. I talked to a really lifelong good rider and he said the Honda African twin was like riding his 400cc dual sport and, the Honda is 1000cc's !

BuellyBagger
11-11-2017, 07:32 PM
I was thinking a smaller bike would be better for part time local stuff, but klr's are soooooo cheap!

Cooter
11-12-2017, 12:19 AM
and bulletproof...

but damn that Honda is the top dawg for what it was built for:up:

BuellyBagger
01-09-2018, 11:44 AM
I've been dreaming over new adventure bikes on and off now, since my friend brought up this whole adventure trip idea. Really loving the Triumph by the numbers @ least, but don't know much about the bikes or the company myself. I think the 1200 explorer looks pretty damn cool too!
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/NV96XaxiFc4/maxresdefault.jpg

BuellyBagger
01-09-2018, 11:50 AM
I would be looking for a "LOW" model of course. Most of the other adv. bikes don't even offer a factory low bike! BMW will sell you a standard bike @ full price and then you have to buy the lowering bits and seat! I can't even get my leg over the KTM (all the sales staff @ the dealer thought that was fun to watch) LOL. Ducati has a 35" ish seat height!!! who can ride that?!?!?

The only poor marks I've heard on the Triumph is its weight. Its about 100lbs heavier than my Ulysses! Anyone have any British bike experience? Good or bad...

user_deleted
01-09-2018, 01:07 PM
cody: they look great on paper but continue to battle occasional seal leaks...charging system problems....and random electrical gremlins. the nationwide dealer support apparatus is non-existent in many parts of the country and IMO, next to the legendary Suzuki Madura 1200....the explorer is the ugliest thing i've ever seen in person. which leads you and i back to a brief conversation from this past fall: Suzuki V-Strom 1200 adventure. there is NOTHING it does not do extremely well.

BuellyBagger
01-09-2018, 03:46 PM
I thought you'd have the skinny on triumphs john! Lol. Thank you for the heads up. The only reason I can't get into the Suzuki is that (to me ) it just doesn't look gnarly and tough like the others. Although the 2018 is better in that respect (imo). I know, beemers and the triumph are actually strange and grotesque looking, but I like a bit of that utilitarian, function first kinda stuff. More dreaming and research for me then. I'm sure there are ways to toughen up the zuki's looks.

Btw John, you know how us young fellas never listen, right! JK

user_deleted
01-09-2018, 07:20 PM
Btw John, you know how us young fellas never listen, right! JK

you said it son. now do me a favor and get the hell off my lawn!

njloco
01-09-2018, 07:25 PM
Here you go,

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/?action=forum

I have one, 2013, 1215cc, great bike but not for going off road, I'd rather have John's bike for that or my Buell. It's fast, way faster than the Ulysses. Very intricate engine, lots of moving parts, top heavy but it disappears once your moving, if you drop it, hope someone is around to help you pick it up. It's one hundred pounds heavier partly because of the engine but mostly because of the drive shaft. Routine maintenance is pretty easy and far between having doing it.

Tbone
01-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Don't do it! Friend of mine had a computer malfunction, locked up the suspension to full rigid, as well as lost his linked anti-lock brakes. This was a major factor in his crash, which totaled the bike and injured him severely. This was last year on his brand new 2017 Tiger Explorer, that he received after his 2013 Tiger Explorer engine blew up. I would Not recommend a Triumph after what my friend went through, and the support he received from Triumph on his brand new bike. I do like the way the Triumph's look , ride, and the engines performance. I own a 2007 Tiger which was the first year for a 1050 Tiger, Great bike except all Tigers that year had cast pistons notorious for cracking and some believe it is caused by ethanol fuel with the factory fuel map? I can pick up my Tiger or Buell by myself after falling off and having a good charlie horse on one of my legs, they both weigh about 450lbs. The 07 Tiger 1050 is in the top 5 fastest produced adventure bikes, better riders than me on it, or on a 1200 Tiger have not been able to drop me while I am on my Uly.

Cooter
01-11-2018, 11:54 PM
And that my friends is my point in the car thread about electronic driver "aids". They do so much, but dang that sucks.

I've had several Triumphs and really loved the street triple and speed triple. Sweet engine and buttery trans! Fuel injected and ran very well, but no other nannies...

BuellyBagger
01-12-2018, 11:49 AM
Don't do it! Friend of mine had a computer malfunction, locked up the suspension to full rigid, as well as lost his linked anti-lock brakes. This was a major factor in his crash, which totaled the bike and injured him severely. This was last year on his brand new 2017 Tiger Explorer, that he received after his 2013 Tiger Explorer engine blew up. I would Not recommend a Triumph after what my friend went through, and the support he received from Triumph on his brand new bike. I do like the way the Triumph's look , ride, and the engines performance. I own a 2007 Tiger which was the first year for a 1050 Tiger, Great bike except all Tigers that year had cast pistons notorious for cracking and some believe it is caused by ethanol fuel with the factory fuel map? I can pick up my Tiger or Buell by myself after falling off and having a good charlie horse on one of my legs, they both weigh about 450lbs. The 07 Tiger 1050 is in the top 5 fastest produced adventure bikes, better riders than me on it, or on a 1200 Tiger have not been able to drop me while I am on my Uly.

thats crazy terrifying! i was thinking i'd read you could option the tiger without the electro suspension still, but maybe that was an older model... I have no desire to be able to have the computer run my suspension... everything i need to adjust eh Uly's suspension fits neatly under my seat just like a ecm LOL. (i have an STT rear shock so I've got to use the spanner) Thank you as well for the words of warning.

Here you go,

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/?action=forum

I have one, 2013, 1215cc, great bike but not for going off road, I'd rather have John's bike for that or my Buell. It's fast, way faster than the Ulysses. Very intricate engine, lots of moving parts, top heavy but it disappears once your moving, if you drop it, hope someone is around to help you pick it up. It's one hundred pounds heavier partly because EOF the engine but mostly because of the drive shaft. Routine maintenance is pretty easy and far between having doing it.
Thanks for the forum link I'll have to do some lurking over there. I think i could handle the weight OK as long as i had the bike low enough and being faster than my Uly sounds NICE !

My desire is to get a bike for gravel roads, dirt roads, farm drives, the kind of stuff that most bikes can handle pretty easily. I'm not planning on anything really dirt bike oriented. I'm in no rush to jump into another bike anyway so plenty of time to research. I think i will try and ride a Zuki and (just because I'm curious) the Triumph this summer. and like you said NJloco, there's always the Ulysses.