PDA

View Full Version : XB9R keeps stalling after sitting 1 year

Totenkopf
06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi guys. I've been out of town and not ridden my XB9R for about a year. When I took it out of the garage I changed the plugs and drained the fuel.

It blows a lot of smoke when I rev it and it stalls when I let it idle. Any ideas? Should I change the oil? It was new when the bike was parked a year ago. Could plug wires cause this? I broke the snap ring off the front one but it still fits tight. Thanks

tuneport67ss
06-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you could have possible broke a ring. [sad]
It only takes a slight amount of moisture to get one to stick.
It may be something else, but this is my initial thought. Someone else may know of something else.

Midnight82
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Did you put any treatment like Stabil in the gas before parking it for a year?

I wonder if you have crud built up in the fuel injection and what not.

And yes, I would change the oil for sure.

Totenkopf
06-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. No, I didn't put stabil or anything in before parking it.

I was just out messing with it again, and the rear cylinder isn't working. I got it to idle and left it for a couple minutes and the rear exhaust and stuff did not get very hot.

Stevenc150
06-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Well it sounds like you got it running. My two cents:

- Drain the gas and put in new high test.
- Replace oils in primary & engine.
- Inspect plugs & replace if needed.
- With the vibration these beast put out, the plug wire could feel like it fits tight, but I'd replace 'em anyway.

Those are things I'd do in that order if my bike sat for a year. You might get away with doing just a few of those, but me personally, I'd do them all. Hope everything works out.

LeFox
06-09-2009, 07:49 AM
if i bike sits for 6 months, you always need to change the oil.

give it a complete small service, filter included.
if you didn't have the bike lifted, check the tires for a flat spot.

overlook everything, get some belt grease cause letting the bike site there is not good for the belt either.

ride, no hard accelerations...just let it warm up as easy as possible without letting it sit & idle.
you should see that after that your bike will start to run better.

a tps reset can also help.

Totenkopf
06-10-2009, 01:20 AM
Thanks guys. The plug wire was loose where it came out, so I put it on and got both cylinders working. I switched over to synthetic oil.

Now it was running pretty good and all the old fuel was out of the system. Then I turned it off, but there was no fan like usual, so I checked the fuse, and yep it was blown. This fan has always blown fuses for some reason. Probably should just replace it.

Stevenc150
06-10-2009, 03:13 AM
This fan has always blown fuses for some reason.Try to trace your wires, you've probably had one rub through it's insulation and shorting out.

Totenkopf
06-11-2009, 03:06 AM
It's actually the fan blades rubbing part of the fan's frame.

Before I start taking stuff apart, does anyone have a link showing the easiest way to remove the fan? I searched but can't find anything.

Stevenc150
06-11-2009, 03:45 AM
If you don't have it already, download the '05 Service manual using the "Buell Service Manuals" link at the top of this page. Check out section 4-38 (or pg. 4-106) under "Fuel System" and it gives disassembly/reassembly cooling fan instructions.