PDA

View Full Version : Data Link Connector - Need Help!

ontheroad68
03-09-2018, 10:01 PM
This is driving me nuts. I have a 2008 Uly XT and my check engine light has come on periodically, so I went to check the codes. But to do that I need to find the Data Link Connector. According to my Wiring Diagnostics manual, it should be located under the left side air scoop. I removed the air scoop and did find some sort of port but it only has 3 wires inline, and definitely not the 4 wire square Data Link Connector. I also looked under the seat, and all over the rest of the bike, no luck.

Someone let me know, where is the DLC on 2008 Uly?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

ontheroad68
03-09-2018, 10:02 PM
The only place I haven't looked (yet) is behind the headlight, which according to the manual is only use for Firebolt models.

lowkey
03-10-2018, 12:34 AM
I believe it is behind this "air flow" panel, see that black plastic piece below the seat along the silver seat rail in the picture? I think this is what they are referring to in the manual.

ontheroad68
03-10-2018, 05:07 AM
I believe it is behind this "air flow" panel, see that black plastic piece below the seat along the silver seat rail in the picture? I think this is what they are referring to in the manual.

YOU THE MAN!!!!

I looked at all the wires in the area and nothing goes there. The connector and all the wires are completely hidden until you pop the panel off. When the manual said "Left side airflow panel" I assumed they meant the left side airflow panel, which moves air to the rear cylinder on the left side. My bad. Let the trouble shooting continue, and thanks again for the tip.

lowkey
03-10-2018, 03:33 PM
No problem ontheroad68, I assume you've bought a bluetooth or USB communications link correct? If you run into trouble talking with the bike I can help with that, just post up the program you are intending to use and I'll walk you through it. If it is a windows based software (MONO or TunerProRT)you will need the serial/usb driver before it will work even if your communication link is bluetooth based.

For ECMDroid you will plug in the (BT only) link to the harness, turn key to ON position (headlight on), flip red toggle button at right grip control to ON position (fuel pump primes) bike not started. Go to bluetooth settings on Android device and make your device searchable or visible, find the new BT device listed and add it to the communications list (remember its name). Now start ECMDroid and click the plug icon (bottom right), a list of devices will pull up and you will select the name from previous step. If you plan to play with the program connected for a while I advise you pull the headlight fuse to keep from draining the battery to quickly, also a tender helps from keeping a heavy draw.

njloco
03-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Cool man, I also copied this, since I will soon start getting into this Bluetooth tec.

ontheroad68
03-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Got code 36, FAN. At this point the manual says I need a Break-out box, which I do not have. The CEL light has come on while riding, usually for just a minute or so. The other problem is that the FAM seems to run all the time while I am cruising down the highway but shuts off every time I come to a stop and idle at a light. it ALWAYS behaves this way, which is ass-backwards. what do you think? I was thinking about changing the temp. sensor but that is $90. Any ideas?

lowkey
03-10-2018, 11:47 PM
No on changing the temp sensor, error 36 - fan to ground short or open, check the plug on the fan to the harness for damage as well as if your rocker box has been leaking oil goes into the fan motor and can screw it up. You are getting the code through ECMDroid correct? There is a fan test feature listed in there that turns it on for about 30 seconds IIRC. Also doesn't hurt double check the grounds on the bike.

ontheroad68
03-11-2018, 12:57 AM
I turned the fan on a few times via ECM SPY and it seemed to work fine. Though it didn't always sound great, the bearing maybe on its way out. If there was a wire open it would be an intermittent fault, which is exactly what I have. I'll check the connections and such when I get home.

However, I've only had this bike a few months and the fan seems to work opposite of what it should. I've had another Uly several years ago and the fan only came on when the motor was hot, like it's supposed to. When I'm cruising on the highway at 70mph and it's 36* F the fan is running, and clearly it shouldn't be. I'm planning to install a new TUNE on the bike and see where that goes. Perhaps the PO screwed up the fan on the ECU?

lowkey
03-11-2018, 01:25 AM
I didn't say it was an open circuit, that is what the description is for 36 (ground short or open circuit). If the plug is not 100 or one of the wires insulation is worn and causing a short (intermittent) I can see the fan being on when it shouldn't for sure. It's only a couple fasteners (6?) once you get the shock out of the way if you can support the bike from the muffler or hang the frame, from there you should be able to evaluate what is going on better and where the problem lies.

So you are using ECMSpy MONO? What is the temp sensor reading? Does it follow logic normal logic? (cold engine relevant temp, climbs up as would be expected?). Does the fan come on as soon as you start the bike?

ontheroad68
03-11-2018, 01:35 AM
I haven't gotten in depth with the ECM spy yet, I just had time to plug it in, check the code and turn on the fan. I'd like to see what the parameters are for the fan, it seems to me they are set wrong. The Fan doesn't come on until I'm a mile or so down the road, and it ALWAYS shuts off as I am coming to a stop. Shortly after take off the fan comes back on.

How can I check engine temp while the bike is running? I suppose I will have to learn how to data log...

Cooter
03-11-2018, 03:03 AM
No need to datalog, no need to tune...

If you don't like the way the factory set up is on your bike, I would use a Buelltooth bluetooth connection to the FREE ECMDroid program and change the fan on/off temps to whatever you prefer. The are i the ECM Parameters and separate from any fuel 'tuning'.
Un-check "speed-based fan control" while you're in there.

If the fan is intermittent or "didn't always sound great", I'd replace it. Even if it's not THE problem, it's A problem.

While its out see if its covered in oil. If so, get some rocker cover gaskets too, or the new one will be short lived.

lowkey
03-11-2018, 03:26 AM
That sounds like the "speed based" fan control. What version of ECMSpy are you running? Is it MONO or an old version? If it is the old version you MAY be able to view the some of the EEPROM Data but most likely not as it is not made to work with ECM's past the 07 year model. If it is MONO (works with the later Buells) you can edit the fan control no problem. This still doesn't account for the error code 36 you have though so you will need to figure out why you are getting this...

As for Temp data you can view this live while connected to the bike and running (should be labeled CLT), you do not need to datalog to do this.

ontheroad68
03-11-2018, 08:42 PM
Checked the fan parameters this morning and they all looked normal, fan on at 220C, off at 180C. Next step is to start it up and check temps while running which I didn't have time to do today, so hopefully tomorrow. There is a switch for "speed based" fan control on the ECM spy that I can enable or disable. Thanks again for the help, I'll keep you posted.

lowkey
03-11-2018, 10:23 PM
I'm going to just assume you do have ECMSpy MONO since you've not answered. Here is your "live data" overview window, second row from the bottom and in the middle is the temp sensor in C and F labeled "engine temp".

You will need to follow along with this link from the "live and log data" through the "overview" section to get live data within ECMSpy.
http://www.ecmspy.com/ug_mono/V2.0/liveandlogdata.shtml

ontheroad68
03-12-2018, 12:30 AM
Hmm, not sure what the difference is between the Mono and the not, I just downloaded it onto my android device but it does not look like the screenshots you just sent. I have the option of looking at 4 different live parameters if that helps.

lowkey
03-12-2018, 03:52 AM
Android based software is called ECMDroid and is not affiliated with ECMSpy which is windows based software. For the software you have you will simply change one of the live data fields to CLT to get temperature sensor data.

ontheroad68
03-14-2018, 12:39 AM
Yep, using the ECM droid. Live temps look normal for the minut or so I checked, but the CEL is on steady now and the fan code 36 will not clear. I should have some time this week to pull the rear shock and fan and look around. At first glance I didn't notice any oil leaking from the rocker cover. However, looking closely at the wiring harness going into the ECM several wires have chafing, down to the copper. This will be corrected, but I'm not sure what the PO was doing to this bike. Will report back when I can get the fan out.

ontheroad68
03-17-2018, 12:52 AM
So I pulled the rear shock and fan to do some research and this is what I found:

- Before I pulled the fan out the CEL remained constant and code 36 (fan) will not clear, fan tested fine before CEL was on constantly.
- Yellow/Brown wire is sending clean power to the fan plug, checked with test light.
- Examined all wires that I can see and all look fine.
- Checked Black/orange wire short to Ground with meter, none found.
- With the Fan fuse pulled the code 36 still does not clear

There are 2 wires going to the fan yellow/brown (POWER), Black/Orange (GROUND?). There are 2 Black/Orange wires from the ECU that, according to the wiring diagram, splice together into one wire at some point. So if I am reading this correctly, one of the Black/Orange wires is bad somewhere between the ECU and the Fan OR the ECU is Bad?

Help?

lowkey
03-17-2018, 03:40 AM
I'm the first to admit I hate tracking wiring harness issues. Maybe the next step is to de-pin the ECM plug of those two wires and run two of your own to the fan to test if you can get the CEL to go away? I haven't had to de-pin the ECM plugs so no idea how easy it would be to find the same pins for your temporary wires though.
I don't think it is a bad ECM though, wiring harness or resistance of a going bad/bad motor most likely. Fuse was not blown for sure right? Also makes since without the fuse you couldn't get the CEL to clear.

Had a look at my 07's EEPROM data and it appears there are 3 "fan feedback" parameters to the ECM.

1. fan feedback number of errors - 100 per fan period
2. fan feedback off time before test - 1 milliseconds
3. fan feedback upper limit - 64 (no idea what this value is related to)

ontheroad68
03-17-2018, 08:34 PM
So I installed the Fan fuse and plugged in the fan, I was then able to clear the code (36). My bad. I also checked ALL the wires to the fan from the ECM and The fuse box for continuity and short to ground with a meter and all checked good. I was then able to run a FAN Test through ECM droid and it worked fine. If the fan is starting to go can it through the fault? Bearing seem fine now that I have the fan out and can see it run. Also, while removing the fan I noticed that one of the mounting screws was missing, telling me this fan has been removed before.... Hmm....
I wouldn't mine putting a new one fan on now that I have this one out but looks like $150. I also need to spend $1000 on new 3 bearing rear wheel, + bearings and Axel, new tires and belt. ouch. Not sure I want to spend that extra $150 on a part that might not be needed.

lowkey
03-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Here is a much cheaper fan replacement alternative if you are comfortable modding the stock housing to replace with new one. http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/142838/762330.html

Can't comment one way or the other if the motor going bad is the cause for the CEL. While you still have the fan out I do recommend replacing the O2 sensor, it runs about $20 at the local auto parts store. Al from ASB states to change them at 15K miles (mine died at roughly this mileage).

ontheroad68
03-20-2018, 12:07 AM
Interesting article on that fan, the guy just wired in a manual switch for the fan instead of being controlled by the ecu. Has anyone wired in a cylinder head temp gauge on one of these?

Cooter
03-20-2018, 03:31 AM
A manual switch is asking for trouble. Forget it just one time and its an issue:(

They have a cylinder head temp probe already, thats how the ECM knows how to turn on the fan. Further diagnosis will find that problem without hacking the bike.

lowkey
03-20-2018, 03:36 PM
Agreed, the link was just to show a possible cheaper alternative fan replacement solution for you. Best to leave it as is my friend. 2 pages back I listed the 3 instances of feedback I could find in the EEPROM for a DDFI2 bike, yours being more sophisticated could have more feedback parameters than that BUT a replacement of the fan or bypassing the harness fan wiring with your own two wires from the ECM pin outs direct to the fan should show you which of the two (fan/harness wires) are your issue IMO.