PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light?

toddb3
06-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, just as I thought I had my bike sorted I noticed that my tail light will not cut off? I rode my bike to work today and went outside a few minutes ago and noticed the tail light is still on. I put the key back in the ignition and turned it to "ON" and tapped the front and rear break levers a couple of times and it works like it should but when I turn the ignition switch back to off and took out the keys the bulb is still lit. Any body else run into this?

Stevenc150
06-12-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm looking at the schematic, though I'm not even close to being an expert, and I just don't see how only the taillight can be on with no other lights. You're license plate, parking lamps, headlights are all off?

I'd think maybe you're taillamp wire was getting mashed into a hot wire, but with the keyswitch Off, nothing should be hot but what little voltage powers the ECM. I'll try and look at it a little more when I get off work.

LeFox
06-12-2009, 09:39 PM
you turn the key to far to the parking contact? :o

Buellysses
06-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking lefox is right on this one. I accidentally left my tail lights on the entire way from Appleton WI to Bismarck (13 hours) I guess I should have read the manual about the parking light thing. For some odd reason it wouldn't start when I got it there...

What is the purpose of the parking light position anyway? I fail to think of a useful situation for it.

Stevenc150
06-13-2009, 08:21 PM
When my keyswitch is in the Parking Position - the Headlight & Taillight are lit. He's talking like it's the taillight only.

toddb3
06-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Well, I feel like a dummy, I've never noticed the parking position on the keyswitch. Thanks for helping clear this up!:o

Grrr
06-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Only my tail light, gauges, and signals work with my key on park. No headlights. 2004 XB12R

LeFox
06-14-2009, 09:33 AM
depends if you have the parking light bulb installed on the u.s. models ;)

no problem for the help, toddb3...wich all would be that easy to find ;)
have fun with the bike [up]

Stevenc150
06-15-2009, 02:01 AM
'06 XB12S - Guess it's where I've done the dual headlights on mod.