PDA

View Full Version : Converting Buell 12s to a 12scg

Darkwulfe
06-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I own a 2004 Buell Xb12s Lightning that the wife will be taking over this summer. I rode it for the last two years and love it but found it to be alittle cramped for me as I am 6'4" and 230 lbs. I plan on buying a Ulysses here in the next couple months. My wife likes the lightning but wishes it was a bit lower to the ground. She fits perfectly on the scg models. I did buy the low seat and that helped a little bit but not much.

My question is, does anyone know if it is possible to convert a 12s to a 12scg. And how labor intensive is it? Is it just a matter of swapping the shock and spring or is there allot to it? She is only 5'2" so it has been a challenge finding a sport bike that she feels comfortable on.

MPea3
06-26-2007, 11:57 PM
Depending on what she weighs, I'd recommend having a new lower Penske shock made for the rear and having the front re-sprung to match her weight. That may be cheaper than finding an cg rear shock and front end. We lucked into a cg for Beth, who is 5-1. Even then she can only touch one foot, and we may have traxion dynamics in Woodstock, GA, do the additional work.

Pic of Beth on her bike, taken last weekend at Deals Gap...

http://www.luthier.net/at_resort.jpg

buellxb
06-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Did you try adjusting the rear suspension? I don't know how much of a difference it would make, but it might help. You could get her a pocket rocket. :D

Darkwulfe
06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the info on the shocks.

And yeah I messed with the rear suspension a bit and it helped a little bit. She does not weigh enough to compress the suspension to make that much difference though.

She had a Kawasaki Ninja 250 while learning the ropes and she is ready for an upgrade. Trying to get her comfortable on the Buell.

TZippria
06-27-2007, 01:23 PM
I have an SCG that I've been trying to convert into an S. Shoot me an email, maybe we could work something out: tzippria@gmail.com

LeFox
06-27-2007, 02:02 PM
lowering kits are available, you do not need to have them made.
you just need to replace the spring, not the complete shock.

fyi the scg shock is about 2" lower compared to the s.

Darkwulfe
07-02-2007, 06:12 PM
In looking at the suspension travel listed for the S and Scg models both are 4.72 inches in the front and 5.0 inches in the rear. Are the shocks even that much different? Is it just a matter of different springs?

I know the ground clearance is different though.

Veronica
07-03-2007, 03:56 AM
So what did you end up doing, so she could touch.?
Did you cut the seat out at all?
:p

LeFox
07-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Is it just a matter of different springs?

you just need to replace the spring, not the complete shock.

keep your weight in mind...the more you weigh, the harder the spring must be!

Darkwulfe
07-07-2007, 06:53 PM
All we have done so far is replace the stock seat with the low seat and adjust the suspension for her weight. She would like it to be lower by at least one more inch. Still trying to figure out what to do. It might be fine where it is once she rides it more and gets used to it.

ctrucky
11-11-2007, 03:19 AM
i also am as short as i am wide, and i am looking for a cg seat for a 04 xb12s, and possibly the shock setup too, if anyone has them.

buellkid07
05-17-2008, 01:21 AM
i just bought a 07 xb9sx and i am looken to lower it, i just order the lower seat. but i think i am going to want it alittle lower. does anyone have scg forks and a rear shock they would trade me for mine. my bike only has 65 miles on it so far.:)

BuellPartsGuy
05-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Lowering kits (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Firebolt-XB12-XB9/Buell-aftermarket-parts/Firebolt-Lowering-Kit)