PDA

View Full Version : Fuel trip dont works

yggan
06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
XB9S lightning 2003

The fuel lamp and the fueltrip dont start up. When i turn ignition on the fuel lamp dont light up. and when the fuel is low the lamp and the fuel trip dont start up. Is that any opportunity to sheck the fuel sensor? Did anyone now whats the colour of the wire from the fuelsensor is.
Best regards. Yngve
Sweden

Buellysses
06-16-2009, 12:30 PM
It looks like the common is black, the signal is yellow/red. It is just an on/off switch, I can't tell if it's normally open or normally closed though.

{edit}

The fuel light, and fuel-trip meter are both triggered off the same wire, so it's possible that there is a problem downstream of the switch as well. Easiest way to verify would be to unplug the fuel pump harness, see if the light comes on then short across the black and yellow/red and see if it changes state.(BE CAREFUL! With the bike on you don't want to short the other two together, you'll get a nice spark and probably blow a fuse)

yggan
06-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the answer. I short across the two wirers and the lamp turn on. So i think the problem is in the switch. So i will try to take the fuelpump out and see if its any broblem with the switch.
Tanks for the help.
Yngve.
Sweden

Buellysses
06-16-2009, 05:41 PM
I would have to say it is quite likely.

You may want to try to spray some contact cleaner into both sides of the connector, then connect it and disconnect it a couple times. You may just have some gunk in there.

If your open to a little more advice... be careful when you put the fuel pump back in. I tore both the o-rings on mine and didn't even realize it till I had gas leaking onto the floor.

yggan
06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
i have ope it up and the sensor is broken. I dont now if i can bye the sensor SEPARATELY or if i have to bye the complete fuelpump?

Stevenc150
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Post up the question in BPG's section - he's the resident parts expert.