PDA

View Full Version : The Uly from HELL

Buellysses
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Ok, I'm pretty sure someone is either telling me it's time to get rid of my bike, or that my bike is just plain evil.

Let's just say that I haven't got it back together yet...

Sunday, I rotated the engine forward to remove the rocker cover so I could get the cams back in. (Two of them fell out when I removed the cam cover to paint it.) I got that all done, jacked the motor back up, and stood up to get the cam cover off the table on the other side of the bike. While I was standing there scratching my nuts, NOWHERE NEAR THE BIKE, the f**king thing fell off the damn jack. Now I have a big dent in the frame, right where I had fixed it before (the MAIN reason for doing this whole project to begin with) and a couple of other little nicks here and there.

So needless to say I was not a happy camper on Sunday, but I got over it and kept working.

I would go into great depths about my battle with the muffler, but lets just say it took me damn near an hour and a half to get it installed. I don't know what the hell the deal was, but it just would not cooperate!

So there it was, Monday, I've got my oil, some extra bolts/nuts/washers to finish off the bike. And my attitude has significantly improved since Sunday. I've got everything back on this thing except for the front fairing and underneath of the tail loop. Its got oil in it, Amsoil 20w50 in both holes. =) (And I would like to add that I feel that Mr. Buell is a flipping moron for not figuring out an easier way to get the oil into the primary! Sorry Erik, otherwise you are a genius. Awesome bike. Care to adopt me?) Anyways... I put about a quart of gas in the thing, just to see if I can get it to fire, and WHAT THE HELL IS THAT GAS SMELL COMING FROM!??!?!?!?? It's leaking gas from around the damn fuel pump! It turns out when I put the pump in I tore both of the o-rings!

ARGH!!!!

I figured that would be a good place to say "hell with it" and went home to have a beer or 4. (did I mention that we were having a torrential downpour last night? I had to try 3 different routes to get home because all the roads were flooded. I still had to drive through 2 feet of water to get to my apartment. I did get a little sadistic pleasure at the car stalled half way through the "puddle". My apologies to whoever you are.)

LeFox
06-16-2009, 01:26 PM
i'm not going to kick you when you're down... :o

Stevenc150
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Dang bro, sorry for the run of bad luck. Hope you get it all sorted. You thought about taking the o-rings into a hardware store and getting replacements? Anyway, good luck.

Midnight82
06-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Egads man, Sorry to hear about your struggles. Working while frustrated is definately not the way to go at it. I tend to "Hulk Out" when things start going haywire, so I just walk away until I've come back down from the red.

Beer is your friend. [cool]

ophawk
06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Buelly,
Sorry about the issues, It does get better.
As a Lifelong Backyard Garage Mechanic, I can tell you that those are the kinds of things that will always happen. Every vehicle I have has had some project go severely sideways at the most inopportune time.
That's when it becomes Beer:30. Take a break, otherwise if you are like my brother, you end up replacing windows, repairing various dents, or like me looking for the wrench with a flashlight/torch, three yards over, that was tossed in utter despair.
"Serenity Now, Serenity Now"

Later

dave_xb12r
06-16-2009, 05:08 PM
"Serenity Now, Serenity Now"

LMAO!

Serenity now, sanity later.

Did you fix the dent?

Remember, the most fun girls are always the biggest pain in the ass. She'll be worth it when she's done and you're riding her and you have that big grin on your face.

oh, I bought one of these for filling the primary

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/hop/10704/image/8/

Buellysses
06-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah,I've been a backyard mechanic since I was able to walk. (Just ask my parents, I drove them absolutely insane taking my brother's toys apart. Now putting the stuff back together, that's a more recently developed skill) You are absolutely right, your best bet is to just put the tools down and walk away when stuff goes badly. I remember one time working on a dirt bike in the back yard, I was oiling the chain with one of those old fashioned oil cans. I had set it down behind me and started working on something else. I kinda forgot about the can sitting behind me when I squatted down to tighten the chain. Damn can stabbed me right in the cheek, hurt like a mother. I picked the can up and gave it a healthy toss with no regards to which direction I tossed it. That one cost me a new barn window, and a week grounded off my dirt bike.

On the bright side, It has given me a little time to think about how best to repair the dent. I really really like how the truck bed liner I used on the primary turned out, so I think Im going to bondo the dent and cover it with that truck bed liner, use that as an excuse to add some accents to the otherwise bland frame. It's mostly covered by the frame pucks anyway, but I think a little bit of the gloss from the liner will look nice, and keep the paint from getting marred up by my pants. [up]

Now, just need to figure out what to do about the o-ring...

ophawk
06-16-2009, 07:01 PM
The only safe thing to do with them is replace them.
Not knowing just guessing, it is probably a big PITA.

I think the Bed liner effect would look good, and give a little more grip to the thigh area while hanging it out.
Both my Parents taught me how to swear, long before I could walk. I was the tool runner and knew my fractions before Kindergarten. Thought myself, addition/subtraction with the cell caps on a car battery.
And reguarding the battery I should find out where mine is, they got the return a week ago.
[confused]

I'll need that to start on the 3 phase conversion.

Mishaps stimulate creativity, you do things differently, usually better than the first attempt.

Quote Corrected - "Serenity now, insanity later."
Later
Dale